cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a water stain on ceiling a deal breaker?

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
I am shopping for my first motorhome. Walking through many units at PPL today, I saw many with water spots on the ceiling. They were especially evident on those with carpet-like ceilings. If I smell mold/mildew or even a newbie like me can detect more extensive water damage, I am high tailing it out of that coach. Should I also walk away if an otherwise promising unit has limited ceiling stains (for example, near skylight, wall or slide)? When I push on such areas, should they feel really hard (like wood right under ceiling fabric) or can there normally be a bit of give (like maybe foam board behind that ceiling fabric)? I'll happily pay for professional inspection, but I'd like to screen out as many problem units as possible myself?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
Windy
21 REPLIES 21

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
All the responses on this thread are much appreciated; your input has helped as I shopped.

I did find a few coaches in my price range without ceiling stains or bad odors. I placed a deposit on one today, contingent on an inspection. Fingers crossed that no major issues are found on inspection.

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
Water leaks are epidemic in RVs. Even with a one piece fiberglass or aluminum roof there are myriad ways water can get in, even with diligent maintenance.

A small water stain would not deter me. We looked at one with a small stain over the drivers seat and the owner said it was caused by a leak around the air horns. He relocated them under the coach and sealed up the holes. We didn't buy that coach for other reasons, but that's an example of something that wouldn't deter me because there was an explanation and remediation.

We had been in other coaches that not only had water stains, but were wet. We'd stay away from those.

Water leaks can be hard to stop. What used to be Ancira RV in Alvarado has a wet bay that they use to find leaks in coaches. I think it was bought by Fleetwood on 1 December.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The water stain may not mean that you have a leak on the exterior. You can also get a stain from condensation caused by insufficient insulation, especially around the front and rear caps.
Coaches used during the Winter are especially susceptible to condensation forming and causing a stain on the ceiling or walls.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
mccsix wrote:
It depends on where/how the stains originate. You can have a blocked a/c drain that will stain the ceiling but cause no damage other than appearance.

This. Plus a Pepsi exploding can leave quite the mess...ask me how I know. Deal breaker? Depends if you're OCD, price, etc.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Run away.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

short_kid
Explorer
Explorer
Water marks can and cannot tell the whole story. If the ceiling has any crown to it water will run to the side and you will not know about it until it exits in wall or floor. Also the way it is parked has a lot to do with it, if it is level or not. I had one that was only a year old and didn't have any water marks at all but leaked real bad. I replaced all the roof caulking with new after removing the old,and still had water problems. I then started to remove windows and reseal. I finally just got rid of it. Good luck in your hunt.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
A water stain on my ceiling had me worried - careful investigation indicated there was no leak, but it was caused by condensation, likely from running the furnace in cold, damp conditions. It cleaned up perfectly with just vinegar and water, using a shop vac, and has never returned.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that it definitely sends up a red flag but not necessarily a deal breaker. It should be carefully checked out and if it looks OK would be a reason to negotiate a lower price. If there is structural damage run don't walk away!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

dcg9381
Explorer
Explorer
Stormy Eyes wrote:
I am shopping for my first motorhome. Walking through many units at PPL today, I saw many with water spots on the ceiling.
Windy

Windy: Walk until you've got more experience OR at least have a really good contact with an RV inspector. Otherwise, you're asking for expensive problems.

PPL will sell anything - most of the DPs I saw there last time - the ones labelled "smoke free" were bad... One so bad I couldn't even go in it.

I'm sure they get a good one from time to time, but many of their units are ones left outside, ill-maintained, and no one else will touch 'em.

You can "inspect" the RV using their inspector for a fee... After you sign a purchase contract (that can be later negotiated).

Texas is hard on RVs. Go find some with private sellers that have been stored.. Take a good long time to shop.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have stains on the ceiling since I've been chasing leaks for the past 3 months. At one point I had buckets collecting water leaking in. I believe they're all sealed now and I've hit the stains with a carpet steamer, but the fabric is separated from the underlayment and it's obvious that there was a leak in the past.

So, my advise if the rig is what you want, have it leak checked rather than just assume that there's a leak. If there's a leak detected, let it go and continue searching. If not, get the seller to knock off a few bucks to have the cosmetics dealt with and buy the bus.

However, if your BS alarm goes off, walk away.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

outofplace
Explorer
Explorer
Well our first Class A we bought had a fairly stained Bedroom ceiling. The owner said he had fixed the leak and hadnt got around to cleaning the area. Being it was our first unit and we were naive and didnt know any better so we bought it. Once home we cleaned the ceilings with our carpet cleaner attachment and they looked great. Well after the first good rain the stain reappeared so obviously the previous owner lied.... No big deal I got up on roof and tore the caulk off around the roof vent and resealed that area Found a small hole around an edge so patched that and all was good. We had the MH for 5 years and never had any structural issues with it. So I guess I am saying if the stain appears to be minor and no noticeable structural issue its a 50/50 shot it can be fixed.With what we know now I still would of bought it we got it for a good price
Paul
2016 Outlaw 38RE

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!

Water stains mean water intrusion AT SOME POINT AND SOME AMOUNT.

Could it be a deal breaker-- sure. But as long as it is cosmetic, NOT structural (that needs to be VERIFIED)it should not be a deal breaker. The roof structure on most coaches is made of "not marine" plywood. So even a small amount of water will allow tannin to leach out into the carpet. BTW, most of this carpet is OZITE carpet.

The structure can be pretty easily checked-- needs to be "sounded" from both above and below to determine if it is still structurally sound or has that dull sound of rotted wood.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on where/how the stains originate. You can have a blocked a/c drain that will stain the ceiling but cause no damage other than appearance.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
If I really liked the coach I would get a huge discount due to the inner ceiling then I would fix the leak and the ceiling.