cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it common..even when the heater is working

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
to be cold? we drove home with coats, hats and gloves today.

My nose was cold. I covered up with a blanket at one point.

?

I guess I could say what we drove 😮 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor....37 foot a lot to heat, evidently.
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel
26 REPLIES 26

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Our 36' Holiday Rambler Endeavor keeps us nice and warm. Our Endeavor has the front dash heater plus a rear heater. Have never had to use gas heater or heat pumps when on the road even in freezing temps. Check around the base of your bed. If there are vents, ours has them, you probability have a rear heater. Just need to find the on/off switch. My switch is on the right side of the dash near the top & marked rear heater. Good luck.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just turn on the heat and let the engine heat the coach thru the AQua Hot. Works well and my passenger usually complains it is too hot at times. The dash heat works too but the rest of the coach gets cold so just the Aquahot and the engine heat works great. Oh the engine coolant runs thru the Aquahot so I am not using any extra fuel to heat. If I was sitting in blamkets and gloves that coach would be gone. I love winter camping.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Is the heater blowing out hot or cold air??? Does your motorhome have valves in the engine compartment to turn on for the hot antifreeze to go to the heater core? Could be the dash cable control is not turning on the heat.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
SuzzeeeQ2012 wrote:

we were driving in 40's for the 1st part of the drive, to 32 on the pass. c-c-c-c-c-cold enough to cover my nose. Something is wrong, it's not supposed to be that cold IMHO.

we were using the dash heater.
Yeah, something is definitely wrong. You should be nice and toasty.

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
Our dash heater works great down into the 20's (better than the dash A/C). Never driven the MH in any temps colder than that. Furnace puts out PLENTY of heat when used. Never been even remotely cold with either running.

we were driving in 40's for the 1st part of the drive, to 32 on the pass. c-c-c-c-c-cold enough to cover my nose. Something is wrong, it's not supposed to be that cold IMHO.

we were using the dash heater.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Our dash heater works great down into the 20's (better than the dash A/C). Never driven the MH in any temps colder than that. Furnace puts out PLENTY of heat when used. Never been even remotely cold with either running.

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be doing both putting up the curtain, and a portable heater right next to me. Goood ideas! A cold nose. Not acceptable

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The short answer is Yes, it can get that cold depending on the outside temps. People often use shower curtains behind the seats to keep the A/C or heat out of the dash, up front where it belongs.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our engine heater keeps us pretty warm up front down to about 30°F, but below that we run the coach furnace as well while underway. At the other extreme, we also run the generator and roof A/C(s) when the dash A/C can't keep up with the heat.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
If I was that cold in the RV, I would crank up the genny and plug in a portable heater right next to my seat.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Cab heaters (and dash air conditioners) in motorhomes are notoriously sad. there is simply too much space for them to handle.
You can try putting up hooks to hang blankets behind the cockpit seating in cold or very hot weather, to limit the space the heater/air conditioner has to try to warm or cool. It might work.
Or, you can try running the furnace while driving, to augment the cab heater.
In hot weather, some people run the generator so they can have the roof top A/C running as they drive.
Remember, in a 32 foot motorhome there is over 2000 cubic feet of air to heat or cool! That cab heater or air conditioner is designed for a truck cab or at best a large SUV!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Explorer
Explorer
The heater in our MH keptthe front area comfortable in 28 degree weather-----------which I have only driven in once. By comfortable, I mean no gloves but a long sleeve shirt and possibly an insulated vest.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.