cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this even possible?

linky99
Explorer
Explorer
We are going camping with friends and we have side by side back in sites. We were hoping to have one of us back in and the other pull in so that our doors would open to one central site. We plan to be the family that pulls in instead of backs in. We are renting a class C motor home and realize the hookups will be on the opposite side and diagonal. Is this something that people even do? We know we would have to buy all sorts extensions for sewer, electrical and water, but is it even worth it? Thought I would ask some expert RVers their opinions. Thanks in advance!
24 REPLIES 24

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
How long will you be there? Will you need air cond? If only for a few days, make sure water tank is full and black and grey tanks empty, and use a regular ext cord to plug in, with an adapter, or find a 30 amp extension cord. Lots of people have them and they are not too expensive, that way you will be able to use A/C. Just use a longer water hose to hook up to hose bib if you feel the water tank would not be enough. I wouldn't bother with extension sewer hoses. When grey or black tanks get full, unplug elec (and water hose, if used) and turn the motor home around, dump tanks and fill water tank and then set it up again. That is the beauty of class c's, easy to move.

ADUS
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a unit from the UK and all will be well.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
As long as it's okay with the campground, it's really up to you how important it is to have your doors facing each other. Sure, some people do it. We've camped with friends in back in sites next to each other. It wouldn't be worth it to me to pull in and be on the "wrong" side for hookups. Instead, I just talked out my side window to my friends, for example, making arrangements as to what time to come outside for dinner. Not a big deal to me to walk around the RV to get over to their patio space...even if I was carrying a few things or had to go back in a few times. But you may feel differently.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the rental company, possibly they have extra sewer hoses, etc., you can use.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
linky99 wrote:
We are going camping with friends and we have side by side back in sites. We were hoping to have one of us back in and the other pull in so that our doors would open to one central site. We plan to be the family that pulls in instead of backs in. We are renting a class C motor home and realize the hookups will be on the opposite side and diagonal. Is this something that people even do? We know we would have to buy all sorts extensions for sewer, electrical and water, but is it even worth it? Thought I would ask some expert RVers their opinions. Thanks in advance!
If this is the only time you will be renting, or only time within the foreseeable future, probably not worth it.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In Indiana, at State Parks, as long as you are on the site, they don't care which way you face. We see this all the time, where 2 campsites are together and one turns completely the opposite direction so camper doors and awnings face each other.

With a CLASS C you should have no problems pulling in forward. With a towed trailer, you need to make sure there is room to pull forward with your tow vehicle and still unhitch and still get the tow vehicle back on the road, unless the pad is long enough and you don't care if the tow vehicle is pinned in.

I've never seen anywhere in Indiana State Parks where anyone got into trouble doing this. And folks do it quite a lot here too.

I've also seen my share of CLASS A's facing forward in the camp sites. When I asked someone once why they faced that direction, they said so they wouldn't have to look at the road out the front windshield. Instead, look at the tree line, lake, river, or other campsites to the rear of the campsite pad. I've also seen my share of this in private run campgrounds to in Indiana.

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
Ive seen people set up like that before, and although we dont stay in "high society" campgrounds, I have never seen a rule that says how your trailer must be oriented.... but I would suppose if you were to set up that way next to a site where the neighbors are not quite as friendly as your buddies are, they may complain due to their being stripped of what little bit of privacy they are allowed by you backing in.. and so its reasonable that there may actually be a rule (that im unaware of) that can be enforced if someone complains.
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

lovetotow
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the campground, but i do this all the time. I take my inlaws trailer over and survey the adjoining sites and decide if it will work, then go back and get ours and set up one backwards, only once did we have trouble, the sites were a little small and we had to put our awning (electric) on top of theirs(manual), but no rain on a wet weekend. Good luck
Dale & Lynda
2018 ford F250 4x4
2011 cruiser 32bl 5th wheel

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The number of private campgrounds I've stayed in I count on one hand. They had a rule in common, all back-in sites are back in only.

Otherwise you'd end up with madness like I see at state parks, people circling their wagons like they're headed west to homestead the great plains.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible, I would think.
You've come up with the main reasons why it will be difficult, hookups on opposite side of coach. You'll probably have to decide what works when you get there and survey the campsites. Management might also object to you doing it, so I might ask them before you try.
Strongly suggest not using transparent sewer hose.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)