cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Joining the ranks

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of trading my fifth wheel for a class A. I has become too hard for me to set up the fifth wheel. I found a 2013 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA with 12,000 miles on it. Belonged to a older couple that downsized. I viewed it before the dealer had it cleaned up. Absolutely immaculate. My wife fell in love with it. I've been on the forum for several years but inactive for the last couple of years. I'll be here looking for pointers. First thing I need is a tow dolly. IO have no idea what to look for.
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro
10 REPLIES 10

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well if you are in the process and don't have anything yet, I ALWAYS suggest a small car and a small 4 wheel up carrier. SO much easier and less fuss to just lower the ramps, drive up, close ramps & lock. I like things with way less steps.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

allornothing
Explorer
Explorer
Randy, if you don't mind me asking, what was it about setting up fifth wheel that became too much. Your tag show's a newer model so I'm assuming it had the auto level system. I'm curious, DW and I are a little less than a year away from pulling trigger on Class A or fifth wheel to spend the winters chasing the warm weather and stick on a campsite for the summer for the family to use. From what I've read, both setups are very similar if they both have the auto leveling systems.

Thanks for your reply.

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a new Pacifica that Mama probably won't want to give up. Maybe I can find something inexpensive that we can tow 4 down. The brake controllers are spendy. I will have to use a dolly at least this year unless I run across small car or truck that I can tow 4 down. I will be checking local lots this weekend. Where is a good place to pick up a used brake controller?
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Yurt! wrote:
Something to think about - If dealing with the 5th wheel was enough to make you jump to a Class A, dealing with a tow dolly will someday be enough to make you jump to a 4-down toad. Save the expense of a dolly and find a 4-down towable vehicle. It ain't cheap to get the base plate, tow bar and supplemental brake system for safe towing, but after your third campsite dealing with a dolly, you may well wish for a 4-down system. My 2 cents.
Good luck, and maybe we'll see you down the road.

I have always towed 4 down using Jeeps. A tow dolly did not appeal to me at all.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
4 down. Dollys are a pain in the *** for everyone, you and camps. You are always stuck with long pull thrus, or wrestling the doggone thing by hand into your site. Where do you park it? how can you back it? Get a towed that can be towed 4 down.

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
I also agree after using a tow dolly for two years 4 down is best.
You think a fifth wheel is hard to set up wait until you have to push that tow dolly around and find room enough in some of the campgrounds to store it.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

Not_a_Yurt_
Explorer
Explorer
Something to think about - If dealing with the 5th wheel was enough to make you jump to a Class A, dealing with a tow dolly will someday be enough to make you jump to a 4-down toad. Save the expense of a dolly and find a 4-down towable vehicle. It ain't cheap to get the base plate, tow bar and supplemental brake system for safe towing, but after your third campsite dealing with a dolly, you may well wish for a 4-down system. My 2 cents.
Good luck, and maybe we'll see you down the road.
Chris and Diana
Two cats
1998 Pace Arrow
2008 Honda CRV

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
If you wait until next year, I'll sell you mine cheap. I don't find it to be as much of a pain as some make out, but I intend to replace the current toad with one that can be towed 4 down. It was a great way to determine that yes, I do want to tow a vehicle behind the motorhome, but for the long term I will be going with 4 down as the preferred towing method.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
The only nice thing about a tow dolly is you can use it for multiple front wheel drive cars, and front wheel drive cars that otherwise can't be towed flat. But otherwise I'd have to agree with Bob above that four down towing is the best way to go. You're probably getting rid of your big truck aren't you? Trade it in on a Jeep Wrangler!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Randy
Congratulations on your new coach. I think that you will love it as we have enjoyed our last two over the past 14 years. Tiffin stands behind what they build. Just keep it waxed with an approved product and it will look great for years. I cannot recommend a tow dolly but we can tell you that we had one when we purchased our first motorhome and we found it to be a royal pain. Towing four down is much more convenient and enjoyable. Good luck with your new purchase.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One