cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just added new tires...

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 2012 24' Nexus Class C {with 75,000 miles} was due for some new tires and I finally pulled the trigger this morning. I have been shopping all over the internet for 4 Michelin Agilis Cross Climates - 225 75 R16's. I have three Cross Climates that are just over 2 years old, two on the front and one on the rear. The other three older Michelin rears are 5.3 years old and the spare is older than dirt.

How I ended with tires of mixed ages is a long story involving having one of the my 5.5 year old Michelin's grenading doing $4,181 in damage - it literally blew the wheel well up through the bottom of the coach. I now begin shopping for replacements when they get to 5 years old but admittedly Arizona is a tough environment on tires.

The plan was to put 4 new CC's on the rear, the fronts are fine and my remaining 2 year old CC replaces my spare. The nearest Discount Tire shop is 70 miles down the mountain adding $50 in fuel to the cost of the tires {$1,280 + $50} so after getting their quote I tried shopping closer to home. The local Big O came in at $1,332 and Firestone won't even look at a motorhome.

I have had great service using Jeff Cory Ford here in Payson dealing with their tire shop manager Jeff, so gave him a call. He assured me would meet or beat any other quote but there was no need as he came in at $1,245. When I asked he assured me that the tires would be "Fresh" and he did not disappoint as their DOT codes came in at 0123.

The two young guys tasked with my job earned their money as retrieving/replacing the spare from its mount under the rear of the coach is a PITA but the rest of the install went smoothly. Mounted, balanced and torqued to 175# my coach is good to go for another 3 years when I will replace the fronts. I like having all four of the duallies matched.

The coach has a GVWR of 11,500# and I run near or at that number most of the time as I often tow a 2,500# cargo trailer. I run the fronts at 60 psi and the rears at 65 which gives me a nice cushion above and beyond their rated {Load Range E} capacity was well as a very smooth ride with excellent handling.

Winter hopefully will be loosening its grip soon and I hope to get out to Pahrump towing our Can Am Spyder for some nice day rides exploring Death Valley later this month.

Here is a shot of our rig:

This is our Can Am Spyder... one seriously fun Toad:

:C
10 REPLIES 10

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok tnx Phil, much appreciated info.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
Phil, do you have an undercarriage spare tire ?
Im wondering if the larger diameter tire will fit within that spare tire housing and security mechanism.

Bob

Bob, my Itasca Class C came from Winnebago with a spare tire mounted in the rear up between the frame members - just like with a pickup truck - using the same support mechanism it came with. I don't recall if the frame is the stock Ford E450 frame for only a 24ft. Class C, or an extension to the frame installed by Winnie.

The full spare tire 215/85/R16 size that I changed to still fits right in that same spot between the frame members with the spare inflated to 80lbs. of air pressure, which results in a tire diameter increase of about 1.2 inches.

The 215/85/R16 Michelin tires I now use have the same load rating as the 225/75/R16 Michelin tires that came stock on our E450 Class C. Also note that dually 215/85/R16 tires have wider spacing between their sidewalls for better air flow cooling and less chance of tire sidewall rubbing in rough-surface or air-down road situations.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phil, do you have an undercarriage spare tire ?
Im wondering if the larger diameter tire will fit within that spare tire housing and security mechanism.

Bob

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
215/85/16

Thanks for you correction above (or below) to my post!!

I now use Michelin 215/85/R16 size tires on our Class C for more ground clearance.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
215/85/16

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desert Captain wrote:
My 2012 24' Nexus Class C {with 75,000 miles} was due for some new tires and I finally pulled the trigger this morning. I have been shopping all over the internet for 4 Michelin Agilis Cross Climates - 225 75 R16's. I have three Cross Climates that are just over 2 years old, two on the front and one on the rear. The other three older Michelin rears are 5.3 years old and the spare is older than dirt.

How I ended with tires of mixed ages is a long story involving having one of the my 5.5 year old Michelin's grenading doing $4,181 in damage - it literally blew the wheel well up through the bottom of the coach. I now begin shopping for replacements when they get to 5 years old but admittedly Arizona is a tough environment on tires.

The plan was to put 4 new CC's on the rear, the fronts are fine and my remaining 2 year old CC replaces my spare. The nearest Discount Tire shop is 70 miles down the mountain adding $50 in fuel to the cost of the tires {$1,280 + $50} so after getting their quote I tried shopping closer to home. The local Big O came in at $1,332 and Firestone won't even look at a motorhome.

I have had great service using Jeff Cory Ford here in Payson dealing with their tire shop manager Jeff, so gave him a call. He assured me would meet or beat any other quote but there was no need as he came in at $1,245. When I asked he assured me that the tires would be "Fresh" and he did not disappoint as their DOT codes came in at 0123.

The two young guys tasked with my job earned their money as retrieving/replacing the spare from its mount under the rear of the coach is a PITA but the rest of the install went smoothly. Mounted, balanced and torqued to 175# my coach is good to go for another 3 years when I will replace the fronts. I like having all four of the duallies matched.

The coach has a GVWR of 11,500# and I run near or at that number most of the time as I often tow a 2,500# cargo trailer. I run the fronts at 60 psi and the rears at 65 which gives me a nice cushion above and beyond their rated {Load Range E} capacity was well as a very smooth ride with excellent handling.

Winter hopefully will be loosening its grip soon and I hope to get out to Pahrump towing our Can Am Spyder for some nice day rides exploring Death Valley later this month.

Here is a shot of our rig:

This is our Can Am Spyder... one seriously fun Toad:

:C

You made a good choice in tires!

When I replace I'll go the same route, except I'll probably go with the 215/85/R16 size in order to pick up a little more ground clearance for offroad use.

(I currently have 6 of Michelin's predecessor tire to the Cross Climate on our 24 ft. Class C.)

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
pauldub wrote:
Is 175 ft-lb the correct torque for the lug nuts? It's 140 on mine; however, mine is an '03.

As far as I know it is correct but approaching overkill. Fortunately I carry a heavy duty AC impact wrench

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Is 175 ft-lb the correct torque for the lug nuts? It's 140 on mine; however, mine is an '03.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just for everyoneโ€™s benefit, can confirm Firestone stores (not the tires per se) can suck my _____!
That was a true statement 35 years ago and hasnโ€™t changed much in a recent experience.
Only tire shop that is more of an upsell/ripoff is now Les Schwabs (for the west coast crowd).

They are not service oriented unless the service involves selling muffler bearings and blinker fluid!

The funny part is slappin some new meats on essentially a dually pickup is no more of a challenge than changing tires on any car.
Couple floor jacks and a rattle gun, he11, the weather was probably even nice out!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold