cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kelderman air ride or Sumo Springs

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering installing the Kelderman Air ride system. As an alternative, I am looking at the Sumo Springs. Any opinions on a comparison of the two ?

Sumo makes a case that they are maintenance and adjustment free. Not sure if that is an issue or not .

Thanks for your help.
5 REPLIES 5

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Keldermans front and back in my 2011 Fleetwood Storm and it made the ride much better. In particular, it softened out the potholes and cracks and joints in the highways and bridges.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The two setups don't quite serve the same functions.

The Kelderman is a true air-ride system (at least for the rear) and will give you the best ride.

The Sumo Springs are helper springs, with the benefit of not making the ride stiffer like traditional helper springs, and can help the ride if the coach is so heavy its hitting the stops. Also, the SumoSprings have inherent dampening properties that other springs don't have, which means adding the extra springs does not require upgrading the socks, which can be needed with both helper springs and air-ride systems.

Even the Kelderman system may require shock upgrades, as air springs have no friction at all, so the ride can feel less controlled in some situations (like through drainage dips aka "whoops", or even speed bumps) which could make additional dampening (aka stiffer shocks) desirable.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Lipsb0ly
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 jayco seneca 37fs and installed the kelderman 2 stage air ride a few trips back. I'm extremely pleased with the system. Makes a big difference in the ride of my super c. I had it installed at the kelderman factory since it was only 4 hours away. The folks at kelderman were great! Does not change the carry capacity like most air bag systems. This is purely for ride. System is fully automatic. Very happy with results.

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
As already mentioned no comparison between the two systems. Kelderman has some good videos (or used to) on what there system achieves. As close to a DP ride that you will get for air ride. Sumo as Firestone are to achieve leveling of the coach.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think you can compare the two. Like apples and oranges.