cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large family Toad question

familyman5
Explorer
Explorer
I have been out of the RVing world for about six years but now I am making plans to purchase another motor home and I have a question about the vehicle we should pull. Six years ago I owned and a 40 foot diesel motorhome and we pulled a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now I have five children and need to pull something larger. I was wondering if anyone has any experience pulling a suburban. I have read online that it will tow with all four wheels down without any modifications. Obviously the suburban is much heavier than the jeep so my question is would I notice a big difference pulling something that heavy? I still need to purchase both the motorhome and the tow vehicle so I am open for suggestions. Also would there be much difference pulling the suburban with a gas powered motor home versus diesel power?
15 REPLIES 15

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Five kids? Might I suggest a Suburban....and PULL a travel trailer. A Suburban can pull just about anything. I did that for years....it worked for me. Now...empty nesters and semi retired, we got a motorhome.
In my experience, 99% of MOTORHOMES, gassers or DPs are really meant for 2 people with occasional guests.

Just my opinions.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We tow one sometime with no problems. We always use. FROG breaking system and TPMS.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
rekoj71 wrote:
Most new gas class A's have a #5K tow limit (more of a limit on the hitch I think) while the DP's are usually 10K. So if you are even thinking of a gas unit the Sub may be out, but there are a lot of suggestions above for some toads that still fit 7 and will come in under the 5K limit. If you are set on the Sub definitely look for the DP's.
The Ford Flex is less than 5k lbs.

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Most new gas class A's have a #5K tow limit (more of a limit on the hitch I think) while the DP's are usually 10K. So if you are even thinking of a gas unit the Sub may be out, but there are a lot of suggestions above for some toads that still fit 7 and will come in under the 5K limit. If you are set on the Sub definitely look for the DP's.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
buick enclave,gmc arcadia or chevy traverse = 7 seats

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
You might also consider the Ford Flex. It has a lot of storage and the third row of seating is very easy to deal with, they don't have to be removed when not in use, they can be easily flipped down.

jtbr3
Explorer
Explorer
We got Saturn outlook 8 passenger for large family plus has bike rack on rear of SUV. Makes very easy to transport extra stuff and 4 wheel down. I think GMC Arcadia is similar. Plus weights in around 4900 so good fit for 7500+ hitch.
08 Four Winds Chateau Kodiak 34H

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
Older Honda Vans tow nicely and have lots of room. Mine weights 4500. Hassle of set up to tow takes 4-5 minutes. New ones have a different tranny and are not towable. Mine is a 2008. Honda does not list it as towable, but has an "emergency tow" instruction in the manual, which is exactly the same as for towing for 06 and earlier models. Think the tranny change came after 2012. Not sure. You would have to check. There's an old thread on towing Honda Van's but I don't have the link.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
3-row, 7-Seat Ford Edge should fit your needs. I have seen the Ford Edge being towed. Don't know if it was a 7 seater.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Sure the burb makes a great large family toad but like others have mentioned you'll want to stick with a diesel. Most DP's have a 10K tow rating but you need to watch the carry capacity as well. I would think a tag model would be the call.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Suburban is great for comfort and towable. Check the year for towing regulations. Since a Suburban is close to 6000# you definitely need a DP. This sounds like fun. My daughter tows their Buick Enclave and it seats 7 in luxury. Being raised in Detroit I won't ever have a rice burner in my garage.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
You can pull a 4wd Suburban without issue as long as your MH has the capacity. The owners manual has very simple instructions for towing with 4 down....just put the transfer case in neutral. You'll want a very good braking system for sure. 🙂
Michael
Just me, my wife, our daughter and our two big, hairy Goldens.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might look into something like a Honda or Toyota minivan, or a Honda Pilot. All very comfortable vehicles, although the 3rd row in the Pilot is cramped for anyone over 5' tall.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
With 5 kids and two adults I assume you would be looking at not only the Suburban but also a larger motorhome. You will have a lot of stuff to take along, but I need not tell you that. There is basically only one manufacturer right now for gas chassis motorhomes and it's a very nice V10 but it does have it's limits. If it were me, a DP with bunks, large water and waste tanks, multiple slides, multiple baths would be high on my must go find list. Then pulling the Suburban becomes a non issue.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT