cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving for Yellow Stone NP on 8/4 how is I-84

dog_house_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
going to Yellow Stone NP in a 2000 39 foot DP Bounder from Vancouver WA 8/4 going to try and get into Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park in wast Yellowstone. Is there anything I should know, either on the road or at the RV park.

Second thought, we are during our Lab with us. Has any body used a day kennel in West Yellowstone? I understand pets are not allowed in the park
8 REPLIES 8

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yellowstone is a figure eight. The north circle has most of the wildlife and such, while the southern circle has most of the geysers including Old Faithful.

Since you sound concerned with your Lab, I'd find a kennel/friend/relative near your home to board him/her while you're gone. You'll relax and enjoy the trip more. JMO....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
To see Yellowstone you're going to have to get on the boardwalks/trails to the springs, geysers, mud pots, etc. Your dog won't be able to do this.

From Vancouver, Washington I think I-90 to 287 just before Bozeman, Montana would be a lot shorter than I-84. 287 will take you right to West Yellowstone and it's a very good road for RVers.

Have fun!
x2 Just took this route and 287 is a great road and quite scenic in areas. Grizzly is a great park!

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This would be north on 191 near Big Sky, Montana. It might be your best bet but it's a good drive from W. Yellowstone unless you leave her for a few days.

If you have someone at home to care for her that would be ideal.

------------------------------------------------------

Doggie Daycare & Motel is the first boarding, daycare and grooming facility to service the Bozeman, Belgrade, Big Sky, West Yellowstone and Ennis areas. The dog kennel room features natural sky lighting so your puppy won't be left in the dark during his or her stay. The yards near the dog facilities offer K9 Grass, which is a synthetic grass specifically designed for dogs to prevent puddling outside the designated potty area. Four by four kitty condos have a large number of windows and an outdoor fenced patio so your kitty can enjoy the sun. All animals are housed inside during the night. During the day, dogs are exercised in one of seven fenced yards that span over 45,000 feet!

Proof of vaccinations, reservations and a 50% non-refundable deposit are required at time of drop-off.

Doggie Daycare & Motel
421 Garnet Mountain Way
Gallatin Gateway, MT 59730
406-763-5585
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
As of 2010 (a while ago, but the last time this came up on tripadvisor) there were no dog daycare facilities in West Yellowstone. You might inquire at campgrounds if they have a dog-walking service; otherwise if the dog will be ok in the camper while you are away for the day driving a car/truck around the park, that would be your best option. As others have pointed out, dogs, even on a leash, are usually not allowed on the boardwalks. There have been a few instances of dogs getting away from their people in the park, and that's a scenario you do NOT want. Lots of dangers to them in YNP (to people too, but most of us can reason enough to realize that and avoid the danger). Good luck!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

dog_house_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies, thank you for the route suggestion which I will use. Now need to find a kennel for the days we may have to leave her behind.

I want to thank everyone that replid for correcting my false assumption about pets.

any other thoughts will still be great to get.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
To see Yellowstone you're going to have to get on the boardwalks/trails to the springs, geysers, mud pots, etc. Your dog won't be able to do this.

From Vancouver, Washington I think I-90 to 287 just before Bozeman, Montana would be a lot shorter than I-84. 287 will take you right to West Yellowstone and it's a very good road for RVers.

Have fun!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
Pets are allowed, however make sure you keep a close leash on them.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years 🙂

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
dog house Jim wrote:
going to Yellow Stone NP in a 2000 39 foot DP Bounder from Vancouver WA 8/4 going to try and get into Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park in wast Yellowstone. Is there anything I should know, either on the road or at the RV park.

Second thought, we are during our Lab with us. Has any body used a day kennel in West Yellowstone? I understand pets are not allowed in the park

Pets ARE allowed in the park, as well as all other National Parks, and are welcome anywhere except in buildings and on the hiking trails. We have a large 150 pound dog and it was not any problem at all.