cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LEVELING BLOCKS 35' CLASS A MOTORHOME

kingsransom
Explorer
Explorer
NEW TO RVING AND I KEEP READING ABOUT PEOPLE TRAVELING AND HAVING TO USE MORE THAN JUST THEIR JACKS TO LEVEL THE RV AT A SITE. HOW MANY BLOCKS SHOULD I BUY?? I SEE CAMPING WORLD HAS A BAG OF 10 IN A SET AND THEY GOT GOOD REVIEWS. ARE TWO SETS ENOUGH? WOULD LOVE SOME FEEDBACK ON WHAT YOU USE, HOW MANY, HOW OFTEN, ETC...THANKS FOR THE INFO!!
Bill & Debbie
Fleetwood Bounder 35ft gas V10
Honda CRV
27 REPLIES 27

kingsransom
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Needed a plank under the jacks a few times in soft ground, otherwise always just the levelers. If the site is that far out of whack I'll find another.

(checks your caps key!)

Sorry, you are correct...I only use all caps at work to type, it's a habit I need to break. Thanks for your info
Bill & Debbie
Honda CRV

kingsransom
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for all of everyone's info. So sorry that I typed in all Caps...we only use all Caps at work, so it's a bad habit I need to break!!
Bill & Debbie
Honda CRV

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a set of grown up Legos on hand just in case. I have been to some pretty unlevel sites and I would agree that taking the "I'm not camping in that spot" attitude is rarely an option. Usually moving around the site and then the levelers and a block or 2 helps. It's good to have a set if not 2. Don't raise the rear wheels off the ground. I have had to have the fronts off the ground on a few occasions. Before our current coach our last one did not have jacks. So it was all about blocks. They are good to have in soft ground, fine tune leveling etc.
2013 ACE 29.2

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Have had leveling jacks for the last dozen years or so. Before that, we had the "Lego" blocks. About five years ago, donated them to a charity garage sale to free up space. In March of this year, the jacks on our new rig failed and we bought new leveling blocks at Walmart to get us level until repairs could be made. Now, I keep three sets in a storage bay just in case. Not very heavy but a little bulky.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
FIRE UP wrote:
It always cracks me up when folks say, "if it's too un level, we just move to another spot". Yeah sure. Try that in the California Sierras during the summer, or any place that's popular for that matter. There's all kinds of variables out there. And, camping at many campgrounds, RV parks, State, National Forest, Private and more, you're bound to run into "less than desirable" spots. When that happens, if, and I say "IF" with tongue in cheek, there IS a possible "OTHER" spot, and it's not reserved, and you can fit, then maybe you might be able to move.

I agree, this is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard said on here. Sounds like something that someone would say that lives in a fantasy world, not reality, haha!

Most places we camp, its like you described: IF there are other sites available to move to, it will not be as nice and you will end up wishing you had just made it work where you were.

Having camped many years with TTs and recently (2 years ago) moved to a MH, I've found that many MH owners can by very lazy and 'spoiled' when it comes to leveling. Automatic levelers are nice, don't get me wrong, but we should not get sooo dependant on them that we forget how to, refuse to, or get upset when we have to use leveling blocks as well.

I've found that the less you extend your jacks (and the more you use blocks to level), the more rock solid and stable the MH will be. Conversely, times when I've been lazy and made the jacks do all the leveling, and had jacks extended further, it was a little more 'wobbly' in the MH. Most times at a minimum, even on the most level sites, I'll use a minimum of 4 blocks - one under each jack.

I carry two sets (10 each) of the plastic 'lego' leveling blocks. In addition to that, I carry 6 12" pieces of 2x10, as well as 2 pieces of 2x10 that are about 24" long. Rarely do I use all of them, but I have on occasion.

Anyway, back to the original poster's specific question: I recommend at least 2 of the 10 packs of leveling blocks. Especially if you're not also bringing some wood pieces for leveling. There will be times you need more than 10.

Oh, one other suggestion: Also bring with you a small, portable shovel. On some occasions, instead of raising the low side higher, I'll lower the high side by digging a small trench for the wheels to sit in.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Kingsransom,
It always cracks me up when folks say, "if it's too un level, we just move to another spot". Yeah sure. Try that in the California Sierras during the summer, or any place that's popular for that matter. There's all kinds of variables out there. And, camping at many campgrounds, RV parks, State, National Forest, Private and more, you're bound to run into "less than desirable" spots. When that happens, if, and I say "IF" with tongue in cheek, there IS a possible "OTHER" spot, and it's not reserved, and you can fit, then maybe you might be able to move.

But, for the most part, when there's no other spots available, like we've encountered several times, YOU WORK WITH WHAT YOU HAVE! Choosing to deal with un level spots is of course, up to the individual. How you deal with it, again, is up to you. And, making the jacks do all the work which, may include raising the tires from a 1/2" off the ground all the way to maximum, again, is up to the individual.

I've carried a small amount of wood blocks etc. for decades to assist in leveling, if and when needed. And, we've needed them way more than I can count. We've had to deal with severely un level spots, multiple times. I've had to dig out on one wheel and raise (drive on to a ramp) on the other one, to preliminarily level the coach and then, use the jacks for fine tuning.

There WERE NO OTHER SPOTS, PERIOD! You get what you can get. So, to answer your question, if using a little space to carry some blocks, either plastic Camping World ones or wood ones, helps you to be prepared for whatever comes up, then be guided by what you think is important. If you choose to carry some, how many and what size, is determined by, available space to carry them and, your experience in what you've needed in the past. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
I use them on occasion. I have one set (10 1 inch high blocks). Use up to four under any one or two jacks. Never had a problem. Just be sure your rear wheels never leave contact with the ground to keep the rig steady. I use plastic cutting boards when necessary on soft ground to distribute the load.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Typically, leveling blocks are used by travel trailers. Most Class A's have leveling jacks and don't require blocks unless (as others have suggested) you're on soft ground and need something under your jacks to help distribute the load.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
All CAPS is considered shouting and more difficult to read. We carry several 4X4 blocks and use two of them under each jack.

kingsransom wrote:
NEW TO RVING AND I KEEP READING ABOUT PEOPLE TRAVELING AND HAVING TO USE MORE THAN JUST THEIR JACKS TO LEVEL THE RV AT A SITE. HOW MANY BLOCKS SHOULD I BUY?? I SEE CAMPING WORLD HAS A BAG OF 10 IN A SET AND THEY GOT GOOD REVIEWS. ARE TWO SETS ENOUGH? WOULD LOVE SOME FEEDBACK ON WHAT YOU USE, HOW MANY, HOW OFTEN, ETC...THANKS FOR THE INFO!!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
And when you run outa firewood you can burn the blocks. Its worth it to be unlevel the last night.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Never need anything. Yes some 12" 2X6 planks to put under the jack pads on soft ground. Never needed anything more. You really don't want to take your MH on a site that would require anything more anyway...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Get some 4X6 boards cut in about 2 ft lenghts and you are good to go on soft surfaces
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Needed a plank under the jacks a few times in soft ground, otherwise always just the levelers. If the site is that far out of whack I'll find another.

(checks your caps key!)