cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leveling blocks

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a dumb question, but when using leveling blocks on duallies, do you need to block both tires? Was thinking about using a set of those new rapid jack levelers, but they're $40 a piece. If the parking spot is level front to back but tilting side to side, I'd need front and back levelers (2 for dually?)
I have a couple sets of the lego type pads, these look easier though.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
20 REPLIES 20

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I use 4x6 treated lumber and cut one end to a 30* taper and also 2x6 treated lumber.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
samven1 you gave me the answer I was looking for as well as your reasons why you do what you do. I thank you.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I dont have to say both tires again. As to the blocks, I started with wood and went to plastic. I had to carry 3 ft long and 2 ft and 1 ft to stack them staggered so I could climb them and half the time they would slide apart. I had to buy two sets of plastic and the only real problem I have had is a few times I could not go high enough front to back and one site had blacktop driveways that were surprisingly smooth and I kept pushing one set on the back and it grated some of the plastic on the bottom so they dont want to stack right. I had to trim up the edges and they are OK but not perfect now.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Must be under both tires. I tried doing just 1 tire and it would not raise our motor home at all. The orange lego blocks works great. I have used them for 6 seasons, and they were used when I got them.
Brian

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had 2 sets of Lynx levelers for several years, and broke exactly 1 block, (my own fault),trying to level on rock.
But as to your question, absolutely do both tires on a side, otherwise, you have all the weight on 1 tire.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
wbwood wrote:
Wood vs plastic leveling blocks....

Both have pros and cons.

Wood is cheaper. But heavier, holds moisture and will eventually rot. If dealing with dirt/mud, then it becomes an issue when storing.

Plastic is a little more expensive and could break. But does not hold moisture, easy to rinse off and much lighter. Also easy to stack without having to do any extra work.

We've done it both ways and much prefer the plastic blocks....like i mentioned earlier. Have had 3 sets of lynx levelers and haven't had one break yet.

X2 I can't imagine how all of the folks who have broken plastic blocks managed to do so. :h

I have never even come close in 7 years to having one crack much less break. As noted they are light, easy to clean and stack for easy compact storage. About the only advantage I see in wood is that you can, in a pinch, use them for the campfire. :B

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Wood vs plastic leveling blocks....

Both have pros and cons.

Wood is cheaper. But heavier, holds moisture and will eventually rot. If dealing with dirt/mud, then it becomes an issue when storing.

Plastic is a little more expensive and could break. But does not hold moisture, easy to rinse off and much lighter. Also easy to stack without having to do any extra work.

We've done it both ways and much prefer the plastic blocks....like i mentioned earlier. Have had 3 sets of lynx levelers and haven't had one break yet.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
I try to avoid raising dual wheels. Easier to turn around and raise the single front wheels. I rarely have to raise more than one wheel. I do carry enough inch and a half pieces to lift one front and one back wheel. I find foot long pieces with a 45 degree end work well.

In regards to turning around.....if you're in a site without hookups. Otherwise you will need extensions cords and more than 25' of hose. Then you have to run it underneath the motorhome and more than likely step on it or trip over it when getting in and out of the RV...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I try to avoid raising dual wheels. Easier to turn around and raise the single front wheels. I rarely have to raise more than one wheel. I do carry enough inch and a half pieces to lift one front and one back wheel. I find foot long pieces with a 45 degree end work well.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

toymaker10
Explorer
Explorer
I never put the leggo blocks under the duellies, Just under the font wheels. Class C is lower in the front. If I'm off on one side I add a block or two to the side that's not level. I only had to change a site once that I couldn't level

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Blocks under both tires of a dually by all means. I don't like the plastic blocks as the break easily. I cut wood 2x8x whatever length boards. They last a long time and don't break.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, put them under both tires.

Have had lynx levelers for over 6 years and never an issue.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Using the blocks stinks out here in the west coast, especially at many state and national parks as the ground is rarely level. It can be down right "slopey" at times although I don't think that is a real word 🙂 If I ever buy another RV, it will have auto leveling jacks for sure.

I typically use them under both tires in the back when leveling my 24ft class C. I can't say for sure if it's better for the RV but I have to imagine that it has to be a little safer that way. Those blocks are only made of plastic and more is better in my opinion.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
photobug wrote:
how big of a tire do you have on that thing?

don't remember the numbers but they were the 19 1/2s.
the tread was wider than the legos, work fine with a TT however.
bumpy