cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Plate on Coach Front Required in Texas?

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
My coach never had license plates on the front when I purchased it and I have never mounted any. I have not seen many Texas coaches with plates on the front. Does anyone know the law on this ? I am using it Monday to take my Texas Class B test and it might be an issue if they are required on the front and I have none in place. I'm not sure how I will mount the plate if required...but, will figure that out. I cannot find the issue referenced in the manual I was provided by Texas. Thanks.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package
28 REPLIES 28

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
wny_pat wrote:
Stop in the DMV office before the test and apply for a replacement plate. Put a paper tag with the "tag numbers + TX + lost plate" on it, in front window. Hopefully it will work, and you will have the receipt for applying for the replacement plate.

Cute way to try and circumvent the law, but the cost is probably a lot more than a couple of screws or nuts and bolts to attach the plate and be compliant with the law. The State does charge for a replacement plate regardless of how the original was "lost". Without a front plate you can be stopped here in Texas and the vehicle is registered in Texas. (Oklahoma only uses one plate and you won't get a ticket or warning in Texas for being from Oklahoma in general.) The first couple of times you may skate by with a warning ticket, but they keep records and eventually you'll get hit with a nice big fine. I had a young man working for me who learned this the hard way just because he didn't want to spoil the view of the front of his Firehawk.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
This will be interesting. When I took my Motorcycle test, the DPS trooper not only inspected MY Bike, but the chase car and license of the driver you are required to have that the trooper rides in for the road test. I will bet they do a Safety inspection of your RV for the test and will not allow if the front plate is not installed per state law. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
hershey wrote:
Put it in the front window for the test.

Texas require that the front and rear plate be installed where it is designed, not in the front or back window. They also require that NO plastic cover be installed over the plate and also that ANY license plate frame if installed and covers ANY part of the numbers/decals and letters of the plate is a violation and can result in a ticket. This is usually not a reason for a stop but it does give a officer a reason to pull you over. Doug

Daboo
Explorer
Explorer
required..zip tie it to the grill for the test...who told you to test?
Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got one of the holders and just screwed it in to hold my front plate.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Don_Shar
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am registered in South Dakota with plates on the front and back. I purchased two (one for front and one for back) of those fancy plate holders and have driven about 6 years with them, I was on 35 north of Laredo and a state highway police pulled me over gave me a ticket for illeagle display of a license plate. Said he could not read the state where it was registered.
Don / Sharon Smith
8th year fulltiming
1 high school sweetheart bride of 52 yrs. Sharon
1 long haired mini dauchound...Jake
1997 Beaver Patriot DP
2004 Jeep Rubicon
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/smithster_photos/

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Stop in the DMV office before the test and apply for a replacement plate. Put a paper tag with the "tag numbers + TX + lost plate" on it, in front window. Hopefully it will work, and you will have the receipt for applying for the replacement plate.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Put it in the front window for the test.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think you'll get a different answer here than on the Escapees forum where there are many, many more Texans?

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Thumperpull
Explorer
Explorer
Class B test?
Mike and Catherine
2004 Thumper 261S
2002 GMC Yukon XL

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
I have two plates on mine.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
??? Did you not get two plates when you registered it?

RicoSuave
Explorer
Explorer
Front plate required on all vehicles. Only exception are dealer plates. Have known people pulled over and ticketed for no front plate.
Richard and Iris
Puddles (Shih-Tzu)
2005 Coachmen Aurora 3480DS
2006 VW Beetle conv. & 2008 Wrangler X Toads

onebull
Explorer
Explorer
It is required.