cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live and Learn -- Didn't Get my MH

Newbienac
Explorer
Explorer
Welp, I suppose in the end what happened was no coincidence and maybe I wasn't supposed to get it. I was pretty convinced this was the rig for me, a 1983 Honey with a Ford 351, new tires, and a bunch of other stuff. But the more I asked questions, the last one being, would the owner mind if I took it to a mechanic to have it checked out, and he said NO, the more red flags slapped me in the face.

Needless to say cuz by this time (after a week of questions and a few minor fixes such as the gas guage and seatbelt), he just couldn't wait any longer and after all, he was a mechanic too. So I said no deal then. I didn't care of he was Head Mechanic of Chevy, I wanted an INDEPENDENT look-see. Because I'm a mechanical midget and this was to be my first RV.

So I'm feeling a bit sad but somehow wiser, that this didn't go through. Still Looking for my Ms Right Rig...
24 REPLIES 24

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance in Canada. Get a one day permit from a licensing office. About 20 dollars, includes liability insurance and license. Just a little high for taking the MH out for tire exercise in winter.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

If the pipes are in use and full of water 24/7 the blisters will appear--it may take ten years, or two years--depending on what is in the water. It may occur sooner in the hot water piping.

It is not in use much, but I do not flush out the pipes. They are always full of water. No problems 28 years later. 🙂

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If the pipes are in use and full of water 24/7 the blisters will appear--it may take ten years, or two years--depending on what is in the water. It may occur sooner in the hot water piping.

AO_hitech wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

No, the pipe itself eventually develops "blisters" and will begin to leak. DAMHIK

Maybe, mine is a 1985 and the piping is all fine. No leaks.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

PappyChris
Explorer
Explorer
Just a word of advice from someone who has bought and sold a lot of boats and a few less RVs in my life. Believe no one when purchasing. If there are no records (receipts) to back up all the claims the seller is making then do one of 2 things. What you did and walk away or if you are so inclined start with the low ball price and plan on fixing a lot of stuff. At that point the seller will likely walk away. One question you can always ask is "why are you selling it" then watch the demeanor. It will tell you a lot. They know what they own. You don't. I repair and maintain all of the systems on my equipment (marine and RV) and usually know what to expect or not. In that respect I am kinda fortunate. It's why I bought and operate at 1979 model. Good luck.
Confidence is going fishing for Moby Dick in a rowboat... and taking the tarter sauce with you.
Life long sail and power boater and camper... tents to RVs

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

No, the pipe itself eventually develops "blisters" and will begin to leak. DAMHIK

Maybe, mine is a 1985 and the piping is all fine. No leaks.

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned an older MH a 1978 with 50,000 on the odometer when we bought it. We used it for several years, then in 2001 bought a TT. Well, age has a way of causing one to rethink when hooking up a TT. So, last spring we started our look for a small class C. Being spring, the prices were set high, I was looking on Craigslist. I quit looking. Then in September I took another look, and found a listing eight miles down the road.

My wife and I went to have a look, and found a garaged 1998 Four Winds 5000 23rk in excellent condition with 36K miles on it. There were others looking at it. I offered 14k, a thousand less then the asking price, paying cash. They took it, and we love it. Yes it is 15 years old, but with loving care. Our fist trip was up though Jackson Hole, Grand Teton Park, and Yellowstone Park over the Continental Divide three times and out the west end and back home. The Ford E-350 chasses and V-10 was flawless and 9 mpg in the mountains.

I will continue to give the MH loving care. So, you can find a good used MH, it just takes time. I would not have paid more than I did, and I would not buy one any older, or with higher miles, but they are out there. I was lucky, but you just have to look and be ready to deal and put down the money, because others will. We live in South Eastern Idaho where MH and TT are plentiful, so that does help.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If you insist or must buy a rig that is older than 10 years old, you can expect that it has major house box and drive train issues like engine, engine cooling system, suspension, brakes, RV generator, fridge, roof A/C, furnace, etc., that will need to be repaired or replaced in the near future or need it now. If you can find a nice looking rig that does not leak and has had these items replaced recently, and seller has receipts, you may have a good buy. Owning and maintaining an old or newish RV is not cheap, it is an expensive hobby and like marriage, should not be entered into lightly.

Newbienac
Explorer
Explorer
" I wouldn't have stayed in Maryland now the wife is dug in like a tick and won't move away from the kids. " Way funny naow. That just means ya got to bring'em with ya.

As to the other gentleman and second opinion, no, he told me everything was in great working order but insisted that after he fixed my seatbelt and speedometer (like that was a favor?), he just couldn't wait another day and said no to a second opinion.

I've learned my lesson and am now working through Camping World - with some other calls to private owners lolol.. But careful does as careful is or some-such.

F105
Explorer
Explorer
azpete wrote:
its only as is when you write the check. up un til then, no question is wrong to ask. no inspection means he knows the problems and is not willing to be bothered with them. its not that he is trying to cheat you, its just that he doesnt want to do the repairs. its up to you to make sure you get what you want, at a price you are comfortable with. dont worry, there is a motorhome out there that you will eventually find and own. drop all your other hobbies, this one will take all your money. even one in great condition still takes lots of care.
ive owned several. none were without opportunities to learn about repairs.

Disagree with your saying "no inspection means he knows the problems and is not willing to do the repairs ..."

If he told me up front there are problems,but I'm not going to fix them,that's fine. But if refuses to get a second opinion without telling me that,then I think he is trying to cheat any potential buyer and the OP did a very smart thing by walking away.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding insurance, I'd check with your agent/company. The transfer of your liability insurance may only apply to vehicles similar to the one(s)insured. If you own an RV and then rent or drive another RV, liability insurance probably would transfer. If you only have passenger vehicles it may not. I assume this varies state by state.

Your agent may be able to write a rider that would cover you while transporting the RV to have it checked out if needed. My agent wouldn't charge me for the rider if nothing happened. If there was an accident he would have to bill me for the rider to get the insurance in effect.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
its only as is when you write the check. up un til then, no question is wrong to ask. no inspection means he knows the problems and is not willing to be bothered with them. its not that he is trying to cheat you, its just that he doesnt want to do the repairs. its up to you to make sure you get what you want, at a price you are comfortable with. dont worry, there is a motorhome out there that you will eventually find and own. drop all your other hobbies, this one will take all your money. even one in great condition still takes lots of care.
ive owned several. none were without opportunities to learn about repairs.

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
If it doesn't feel right it's not you did the right thing. Your gut is always right. I wish I would have followed my gut more. I wouldn't have stayed in Maryland now the wife is dug in like a tick and won't move away from the kids.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
X?
You did the right thing. If he won't allow you to take it for an independent inspection, then there may well be something he is afraid you will find out.

I have this guardian angel that doesn't mind working evening as weekends - good thing - and when something like this happens, I attribute it to the angel's effort to keep my butt out of trouble.

If you are not a mechanic, never go into something like this without a native guide that is on your side.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
There's only a few thousand other MH's out there for sale around the country. You'll find the right one. And good on ya for walking away from this one. I agree with you 100%...no inspection...no sale. Period. When sellers start trying to impress me as yours did by telling you he was the head mechanic for Chevy...that's when my antenna's and red flags really go up. Good luck.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER