cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking Gas Cap

kemosabe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 National RV Dolphin LX 6342 on a Workhorse W22 with the 8.1 Vortec

I am looking for a locking gas cap for this rig.
I have taken the existing cap to all the local parts houses (NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reily's) and RV dealer's with no luck.

My search on line is no better.

Looking for someone who has a locking cap and can give me the correct brand and number.

Thanks,

Rick

I have not yet begun to procrastinate. . . . . .

I have not yet begun to procrastinate.
13 REPLIES 13

Mody_n_Domy
Explorer
Explorer
While parked in storage I had gas siphoned about 20 gal. So the next year I put a sticker above the filler neck that said DIESEL FUEL ONLY no more siphoned gas. Now that I'm full timing I have removed the sticker and installed a locking cap on the Motor Home and my tow vehicle.
2008 Damon Challenger 378 on Workhorse chassis, 2008 HHR panel toad.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a locking gas cap on my F53 chassis Coachmen after having two caps "disappear" while parked in parking lots. No gas taken, nothing apparently added to the tank, just the cap missing.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
kemosabe wrote:
I have a 2004 National RV Dolphin LX 6342 on a Workhorse W22 with the 8.1 Vortec

I have taken the existing cap to all the local parts houses (NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reily's) and RV dealer's with no luck.

My search on line is no better.

Looking for someone who has a locking cap and can give me the correct brand and number.

Thanks,

Rick

I have not yet begun to procrastinate. . . . . .

Here's some to try:

Workhorse pn 22720375
Stant pn 11506 or 10505
NAPA pn 703-1643 or 703-1721
Non Locking Stant pn 11836

Another thing to consider would replace the manual lever(if you have one) on the gas cap cover door to one with a lock. Lowes should carry that. That's what we did several years ago when we had a 2005 Winnie class A.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
I can't help you with the cap, but I can tell you they don't work around here. Now if you have a tank that is ice pick proof, maybe then.:E

A locking cap isn't to stop removal of gas. It is to stop things from being put in the tank. They can have the fuel that is nothing compared to a $5 or $6K engine repair because things went into the tank.

Good point. I had not thought about someone putting something in the tank. I may have to rethink my choice.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer

I found a locking gas cap from Napa Auto parts for my Dodge truck. I then went to the local Farm Supply store and bought a spray can of "John Deer" green and sprayed the cap to remind me or others i.e. Oregon stations that it is a DIESEL NOT GAS:):):)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
don b wrote:
I purchased mine about 5 years ago and I did save the box. I purchased it from GM dealer, do not remember the price but mine is an AC Delco, ACD#GT270, GM#22720375. I hope this helps, I have a 2003 National on Workhorse Chassis.

Just dropping in to say: WOW!

It just doesn't get any more helpful than that....this is one of the things that's so great about this site- there are folks like you, Don, that will take the trouble to actually dig out an old box and get the exact part number for the person asking the question.

In an effort to make a small contribution, here are live links to sources for the parts Don identified: ACD#GT270 and GM#22720375
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
How often do you hear that? Someone putting something in the tank other than fuel. You live in a bad neighborhood!!!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
I can't help you with the cap, but I can tell you they don't work around here. Now if you have a tank that is ice pick proof, maybe then.:E

A locking cap isn't to stop removal of gas. It is to stop things from being put in the tank. They can have the fuel that is nothing compared to a $5 or $6K engine repair because things went into the tanl.

don_b1
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased mine about 5 years ago and I did save the box. I purchased it from GM dealer, do not remember the price but mine is an AC Delco, ACD#GT270, GM#22720375. I hope this helps, I have a 2003 National on Workhorse Chassis.
2003 Dolphin Model 5380, Workhorse 8.1, 04 Honda CRV, Brake Buddy, Blue Ox, Banks System, Garmin 7200.

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use a locking cap, if you lose the key your're SOL filling up. PLUS like others have said, a new gas tank is expensive because of a puncture.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have found it is easier to let them steal the gas than replace the gas tank that had a hole punched in it.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Hope your successful, somebody might have info.
Helpful hint, don't toss your old one away when you get the new one. We got a replacement(different model)and the check engine light kept going off with new cap even though we got what is supposed to be replacement. Now on 3rd replacement cap.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work