cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a refrigerator.

PaulRVer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1997 Monaco Windsor with a 23.5 x 59" opening for a refrigerator. It currently has a Haier brand. The problem is that the refrigerator looks new and does not work. However, it does not work because it is the type with the hot coils located in the walls and there is no ventilation. The compressor is locked up. Are there any units this size for a house that has the hot coil on the bottom with a fan? Is it worth the trouble to get a compressor with a coil and replace?
8 REPLIES 8

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
last year I replaced my propane frig with a magic chef 10.1 cubic foot purchased at home depot. it measures 23.6 wide 59.4 high and 26 deep.
i had to remove the levelers and the rollers and bend the roller tabs flat, that lowered the height a little I had to cut about 3 inches from the opening to make the opening tall enough. also on the back side near the compressor there was a bulb with small copper tube that I secured to a cross brace on the frig with a dab of silicone to keep road vibration from breaking the tube. according to the data tag it pulls 1.5 amps. in Arizona until mid April it froze ice cream hard and you can't ask for more than that

PaulRVer
Explorer
Explorer
There is the outside vent. I will investigate more. Thanks.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MORE info needed. 1997 Monaco should have had a Norcold 1200 as OEM. So, if you have a residential, that means someone in the past 26 years modified the cabinet. The original refer, you should have a outside access door AND a Roof vent above the Cabinet. This means if the previous owners modified the cabinet they must have blocked off this source of fresh air ventilation. Leaving the original outside door and roof top vent alone would provide more than enough fresh air for any residential installation. Let us know what has happened to the original access vents. Doug

matthewfox
Explorer
Explorer
My Norcold was working perfectly. But I exchanged it for the EverChill 12v refrigerator. Best decision I’ve made. Love it. It cools faster, works better in the heat of summer and cold of winter because it is inside the RV not fighting the outside weather. Also you get more usable space inside. And no worries about the rv not being level or not being able to run while driving. I spent two days driving in the southwest where it was 115 and you can’t turn off the refrigerator for any extended time period. You may want to contact the true manufacturing customer service by link https://www.pissedconsumer.com/true-manufacturing/RT-F.html to get some recommendations

MrWizard
When we got our 95 safari in 2010 the fridge was dead on arrival, after some repair troubles , i replaced it with a residential fridge, the Brand is Avanti purchased at a local appliance store, the size was a good fit with airspace gaps on both sides and top, i did not put any enclosing trim around it which allowed for air circulation , and it always worked perfect
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

PaulRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a bunch. I will see what mama wants.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the same Monaco 1 year newer. I have never had much of a problem with the original frig but Mama wanted more room so I got one of those Haier units and put it beside the table. On the coil location you mention, your furnace is under the refrigerator which might affect coil location in the Monaco

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there is. Mine is a NovaKool RFU 9000. Google that brand and model number to get to their website. It is made in BC, Canada. I had one for twenty years until it developed a leak and so I did a lot of research and bought another one. The compressor, cooling coils and fan are all it the base of the unit. It also has a bottom freezer which I like. Looking forward to another 20 years of worry free use.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."