cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for new insurance

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Just got my renewal bill from Progressive and I was unhappily astounded. They raised my policy almost 50%. I have had no accidents, no claims and no tickets.

I will be looking for a new insurance carrier. Could I please get some good recommendations ? I am not only looking for a more reasonable price, but a good reputable company that is not a hassle to deal with and honors their policies.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
We write with Foremost, Safeco, Progressive and National General. Sometimes there is not a complete apples to apples comparison.(limits, value, acv/replacement cost, etc.) Some carriers also offer an advance quote discount. If you quote a certain amount of days prior to your inception date you can get a slight discount.

Keith

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
pryoclastic wrote:
Good Sam was too expensive.

Went with Foremost through Farmers. $49.64 for our 1995 Class A.

Yeah...me too when I left Progressive. Can't figure out why Good Sam was so expensive on the quote they gave me when one of the companies they work with is Foremost. :h
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

pryoclastic
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam was too expensive.

Went with Foremost through Farmers. $49.64 for our 1995 Class A.
2011 Sightseer 35J
1995 Vectra 34RA

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
KPetrick wrote:
Many carriers won't write coverage on a class A. At Good Sam Insurance Agency we can shop it for you with multiple carriers that all have great RV coverage's. Rates are going to be different depending on state, type of RV, driving record, limits selected and even down to the zip code. Several carriers including National Interstate and Blue Sky have gotten out of the RV insurance market.

Keith

Thanks so much for that advice. I signed up with Good Sam Insurance and got a substantial cost savings with a top rated insurance company.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
X2

donn0128 wrote:
Have had State Farm since we first got married and Nationwide refused us insutance because I was 20 and in the military. It has not always been the cheapest, but I have never had an issue with a claim either. Great service or cheap insueance. Your choice.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone heard of or had any experience with National General Insurance ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with others..Shop First and then Switch companies.

Allstate did the same to us with no really good reason. When we called to cancel they said they were surprised we had not cancelled earlier. Said call us back in 12 months and we can probably match your new rate.

Insurance has gotten just like DirecTV and Dish and the power companies here in Texas. Switch every chance you get and you will way ahead on savings.

And no...you are not going to get cancelled by bouncing back and forth. Shareholders need your money.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fulltimers policy? It does make a difference. Make sure you shop for the same type of policy as you have, same coverages, same deductible. If you make any changes, you may have been able to make those same changes and save money with Progressive too. Rates are established and filed with the state. They cannot change the rate for you without following the rules they submitted to the state. They can only change coverage or change a deductible or correct an error to change your rate. Just calling and complaining will not change your rate. Call them and ask about your rate, review the information they have and make sure everything is correct. Then decide what you want to do.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I insure my truck and trailer through Linda Sinkay at McDonald Leavett Insurance. Her number is 707-569-6800 or linda-sinkay@leavitt.com - no complaints.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
What Keith said... I have dealt with them a couple of times and been very happy.Good Sam Class A insurance.
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Many carriers won't write coverage on a class A. At Good Sam Insurance Agency we can shop it for you with multiple carriers that all have great RV coverage's. Rates are going to be different depending on state, type of RV, driving record, limits selected and even down to the zip code. Several carriers including National Interstate and Blue Sky have gotten out of the RV insurance market.

Keith

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had State Farm since we first got married and Nationwide refused us insutance because I was 20 and in the military. It has not always been the cheapest, but I have never had an issue with a claim either. Great service or cheap insueance. Your choice.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Gottahaveit wrote:
First off pick up the phone and call Progressive and let them know your going to cancel because of the increase. Inquire why and you might be surprised of your new rate they give you or why it was raised. Then Shop on...

I disagree. Don't call first and tell them you're going to cancel, because they WILL cancel you and then you won't have insurance at all.

Instead, do the second step first? Call, but inquire why the rate hike. Get the facts, then hang up with a "thank-you".

If you don't like the answer, THEN shop around. Find new insurance first. THEN call back and cancel! Otherwise, you may find yourself with no insurance for a while. That just would not be a good thing at all.

My suggestion: Check with Allstate insurance. At least give them a call and see what they can do for you. You can always say, "Thank-you" and hang up.

Gottahaveit
First off pick up the phone and call Progressive and let them know your going to cancel because of the increase. Inquire why and you might be surprised of your new rate they give you or why it was raised. Then Shop on...
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited