cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loud "thunk" retracting the slide

klm
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 02 Newmar. The main slide out made a new and worrisome sound. The clunk, thunk noise seemed to be in the area of the front rail. The slide extended and retracted normally, but I am concerned that there is a problem. The slide is currently extended. I did look at that front rail, nothing looked unusual, but I know nothing about mechanical things. There is a threaded rod, what I can see again looks ok. I cannot see the far end
of either rod or rail. Any ideas?

UPDATE!!!!! The slide has operated normally since that 1 time loud thunk clunk by the front rail. I had the coach serviced at a Newmar facility today. I mentioned the slide issue. Turned out the roller was bad, just that 1, all others good. Replaced with new $17 roller.

Thanks
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR
26 REPLIES 26

klm
Explorer
Explorer
mtrumpet wrote:
klm wrote:
Op here. In my total lack of know how, I think that rod is somehow the source of my "thunk". I base that on the location of the thunk, I could not only hear it but felt it through the floor. I will have the Newmar service center in Florida check it thoroughly. They have worked on my coach from the very beginning. I am hoping the slide operates ok until then.

When you take it in to have them look at it, let us know what they have to say about it. I'm curious.

OP here. Posted findings in my original post, finally got to Newmar today
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP

klm
Explorer
Explorer
update in original post.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP

railtrailers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2001 Dutch Star, recently acquired. The front slide also made a distinct heavy "thunk" when retracting (a few inches from fully closed). In our case it turned out that the metal wrap on the slide topper was hooking onto the top edge of the slide out as the slide closed. This caused the slide out to tip out at the top while closing until the force was enough to "pop" the metal wrap. Our problem fixed by replacing the topper fabric and resetting the spring loaded wind up tube and the mounting of the topper brackets at the top of the slideout.

klm
Explorer
Explorer
Op. I will post diagnosis but it won't be until the end of snowbird season.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
klm wrote:
Op here. In my total lack of know how, I think that rod is somehow the source of my "thunk". I base that on the location of the thunk, I could not only hear it but felt it through the floor. I will have the Newmar service center in Florida check it thoroughly. They have worked on my coach from the very beginning. I am hoping the slide operates ok until then.

When you take it in to have them look at it, let us know what they have to say about it. I'm curious.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

klm
Explorer
Explorer
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Newmar's do NOT have shear pins or any such type pin. Newmar slide room motors/transmissions are secured to the slide system by a Transtorque bushing connected to a 1 inch round driveshaft. NO holes or pins or bolts. That threaded rod is just the manual stop in case the amp control does not stop the room at the correct time on extension to prevent over torqueing of the inside slide Fascia's. That rod may be the source of your clunk. The "Thunk" can be normal on a 12 year old Newmar slide mechanism from normal wear and tear. I would have it checked out by a Service Facility that has ACTUAL experience on Newmar slides as Newmar Slides are patented by Newmar and are the ONLY type system out there that Newmar uses. Doug

Agreed. My main slide has always made a mild clunk/thunk sound when retracting for as long as I've owned the rig. Several inspections of the mechanism have shown nothing wrong. I just keep everything well lubed.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
klm wrote:
Doug. Op here. I don't know if he did. I was inside ext/retract slide but he did not specifically mention doing that. I know he had that bay door open but I didn't see a wrench. To clairfy, Are you referring to motor mounted centrally under slide? If so I can retract slide and check it. Too dark and rain/snow on the way, so not today

Yes, either 1/2 or 9/16 wrench or socket to tighten the bolts. I forget which. The odds are it is the bolts being loose. Doug

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Did he check the motor mount bolts? To tighten you must NOT have the room fully extended or retracted. That relieves the pressure on the motor mount. For his service call, he should have checked them. Doug

I was thinking to myself that "false alarm" didn't really feel right. Glad you stated that the tech could have done some things just to ensure that a second trip wouldn't be needed due to an oversight on their part.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

klm
Explorer
Explorer
Doug. Op here. I don't know if he did. I was inside ext/retract slide but he did not specifically mention doing that. I know he had that bay door open but I didn't see a wrench. To clairfy, Are you referring to motor mounted centrally under slide? If so I can retract slide and check it. Too dark and rain/snow on the way, so not today
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
klm wrote:
Op here. For now, false alarm. The mobile tech was here. Extended and retracted the slide. No thunk. He was under and watched the rail. I am relieved, but I know that sound was distinctively different from the usual. I will have the newMar service center give it a good look when I'm there for my annual service. Thanks for everyone's input.

Did he check the motor mount bolts? To tighten you must NOT have the room fully extended or retracted. That relieves the pressure on the motor mount. For his service call, he should have checked them. Doug

klm
Explorer
Explorer
Op here. For now, false alarm. The mobile tech was here. Extended and retracted the slide. No thunk. He was under and watched the rail. I am relieved, but I know that sound was distinctively different from the usual. I will have the newMar service center give it a good look when I'm there for my annual service. Thanks for everyone's input.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP

clhamon
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI...We have a 2002 Newmar and it also clunks as the OP states. I believe it is when the rollers drop down off the floor at the point the slide-out lowers/raises into place upon extension/retraction. I have always thought it normal since we purchased the coach a few years ago.
Frenchie & Kat
2005 Country Coach
2007 Harley Ultra Custom
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Loose roller?