cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low batteries

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
Ok - I admit it, the weather and general laziness has left me with batteries not strong enough to start my motorhome. It has been extremely cold!!! Now what do I do to jump it or somehow charge the batteries enough to start it? I am new to this and know I sound clueless.

Thanks for any help!

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
If you are close to shore power, just plug it in and your house batteries will charge up. Once they are charged THEN you can start the engine by pressing the jump button on the dash. Hold down for a minute and then at the same time turn the ignition switch on. It should crank over and start the Diesel engine. The alternator will then charge your chassis batteries.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
There is the possibility that 7V reading was from a 6V battery. Newmar probably has 6V banks in series for 12V for the house. The house batteries may not be too bad. You should have a switch that says "store" and "use" (mine is 11 years older than yours) and you should use the "Store" position when not in use. My MH is stored in a barn with "store" selected and I fully expect it to start right up if the snow ever quits. 120" and counting on snow.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dandd,

Get something going now or you will loose a bunch of battery.

My suggestion, if you can't get to shore power is use jumper cables to start the APU (genset) that can recover the hotel bank in about five or six hours. (Really - 7 is WAY DEAD) If they are more than a few years old, they be uncoverable already, but try.

Once you have something on the meter, run you jumper cable (you will only need the positive) to the main engine battery.

I don't really care what you do, but please realize that bring back batteries that are that depleted cannot be rushed without hurting the batteries even more.

This sort of thing was my common job before the depression, but please believe me and get charging those batteries NOW.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Some chargers don't work at that low voltage (7V). But plug it in and see.

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Do you have shore power?

You already have a built in converter, charger or inverter/charger that will at least charge up the house battery bank.

Yep, best bet!!!
Do you have a way of plugging into your house with at least a 20 amp outlet?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have shore power?

You already have a built in converter, charger or inverter/charger that will at least charge up the house battery bank.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your not sure on this I would just plug the unit in and let the converter do the charging. Rather then risk hooking the 12 volt batt. charger up wrong to 6 volt batt. which I think your house batts. are. Then you can push the switch to use the house batts. to start the engine, after using the block heater before trying to start the engine.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the advice. I will get a charger on them ASAP.

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
Get them on charger ASAP. Dead batteries can also freeze. Because they are new batteries you should be able to recover them although 7 is extremely low. How long did it sit before it was last charged? Do you have shutoff switches for the batteries? If you left them on the batteries will not hold a charge for long.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your best bet is to put a Smart battery charger on 10 amps setting and let it run for the # of days it is going to take to charge them up. Make sure what every charge you use it is the right voltage for the battery that you hook up to. Just running the engine or gen will not charge them up in a short time.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have access to 120 VAC shore power? If so, plug it in which will certainly charge the house battery bank and MAY charge the chassis bank as well (Newmar can tell you if the chassis batteries are charged).

If not, you can jump the generator-- Newmar can tell you which battery bank starts the generator.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked the gauges and am reading Chassis batteries 10.1 and House 7 volts so I am thinking no help from the boost! Should I charge the chassis then get the generator and engine going to recharge? - Sorry for the stupid questions but I am really new to this and after taking delivery in November I still haven't even managed to stay one night in it.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our class A has a battery shut off for both the engine and house batteries. If we are sitting somewhere for awhile, we shut the engine battery off - if stored, we shut both sets of batteries off. This keeps them from running down.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My (limited) understanding is that you hold the boost button while attempting to start the engine. Be sure to cycle the glow plugs twice before starting. It is -24 f here.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

danddclydes
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for not being clear... It is a Diesel, 2014 Newmar Ventana LE.. I tried the boost button but not sure if I was supposed to push and hold and for how long to try to get it to start. Also it is about 15F currently ( really envy those of you in Florida )