cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mattress topper - what thickness

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of ordering a foam mattress topper to use on the dinette bed or the jackknife sofa in order to smooth out the cushion seam lumps. I am struggling with which thickness to choose. I would prefer a 2 inch for easier handling and storage but want to make these beds comfortable. Does anyone have experience with this?
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds
10 REPLIES 10

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, on my comment, full size air mattress.

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I have a sofa pull out...I first tried a 4"...could hardly lift it to store it. I then went to a 2" and still felt uncomfortable. Just bought a Craftsman 8" air mattress and pump...great comfort plus I just let out the air and fold it up! Highly recommend it for those of us who don't have permanent beds!

the_trippers
Explorer
Explorer
We got the 2" memory foam topper from Costco, trimmed it to fit the 'queen' size bed, and it's now the best bed ever. Makes the original mattress 'sleepable'.
2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a 3 inch on the Jackknife couch, but found it too bulky to roll up. A 2 inch has worked fine for me for the last 2 years. I use a 3 inch on the dinette, which I keep down at all times and use large pillows to convert it to a couch for day use. 3 inch is definitely more comfortable (used one on the queen in my previous class A) but 2 inches is good enough. Tried a 1 1/2 one time; not much help.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a little 2" topper from Walmart and it has worked out great! Makes the factory corner mattress super comfy.

Jose

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I would not go any less than 3". I have a 4" topper on my queen bed and WOW do I sleep well!
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
To each their own, but I used THIS ONE

It is 3 inches and is soft enough to make my NEW hard mattress a joy to sleep on, it also breathes well so it doesn't get hot.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 3 inch on my cabover bed. It helps tremendously. A 4 inch would have taken too much of the already limited vertical space. I have a 2 inch for my occasional use jackknife sofa. Even it is bulkier than expected especially once rolled out for the first time-and rolled back up. It is bulky enough that I leave it at home unless I anticipate needing the bed.

Just check weights and rolled sizes and get the thickest (heaviest) you think you can deal with.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 4 inch topper... Like sleeping on a cloud
Proud father of a US Marine

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I added a 3 inch foam topper to the queen minus 4 inches bed in the back of my rig. The old mattress was tough. With the topper on top of it I sleep like a baby now.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A