cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maybe I should get an older DP

AGC
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing first MH (RV for that matter) and plan to use it a few times a year (approx 4 weeks) with our two young kids. We have settled on a 2007 FR Georgetown with bunks but have continued to see what else is out there while waiting for the owner to take care of a title issue with the bank (its been going on for s few months now).

I found a 1997 American Eagle with decent miles for about the same price. I was all set on a gas class a but read a lot of the threads about folks regretting they didn't buy a DP instead. With a limited budget of low to mid 40s and my plans of using it approx 4 weeks a year should I even consider a DP. The two units are 10 years apart
18 REPLIES 18

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 40' DP. I don't get to travel much during the school year as I have a high school son at home. But in the summer we always take one 20-25 day trip of about 1500-2000 miles. Also we spend a lot of 3 day weekends and Spring Break away. Only four weeks a year would be tough on a DP I think. gas coach best plan, but the one you are waiting on I would move on and find another one.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
First, I'd run from the first unit. It doesn't take months to fix a title. Second, for 4 weeks a year use, rent one.

+1

Vehicles deteriorate while just sitting and not being used.
"Things" need attention and upkeep no matter how often it's actually on the road.

Then.....for $40K, you should be able to get a late model used class C+ with low mileage; more features for less money than an A......usually.

P.S. Being a first timer, get the shortest unit that you think will fit your needs. You can best determine that by renting something in the 25-28 foot range for a "test run".

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that something else is going on with the first one.

For 4 weeks a year, if that's all you'll really use it for a gas MH is good. If more than that such as a weekend here and there, holiday weekends etc. I think you should stick with a gas Motor Home. Maybe even look at class C's some of those have bunks too. A DP (Diesel Pusher) would be better suited to longer more often trips. Does the DP you are considering have a slide out? I can tell you that with kids a slide out is a must. Nothing wrong with a DP if you're going to excersize it frequently on some long trips.

It's hard to say what is best because I don't know your traveling style i.e. close to home trips less than 50 miles or long trips of 500 miles or more!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
First, I'd run from the first unit. It doesn't take months to fix a title. Second, for 4 weeks a year use, rent one.