cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maybe I should get an older DP

AGC
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing first MH (RV for that matter) and plan to use it a few times a year (approx 4 weeks) with our two young kids. We have settled on a 2007 FR Georgetown with bunks but have continued to see what else is out there while waiting for the owner to take care of a title issue with the bank (its been going on for s few months now).

I found a 1997 American Eagle with decent miles for about the same price. I was all set on a gas class a but read a lot of the threads about folks regretting they didn't buy a DP instead. With a limited budget of low to mid 40s and my plans of using it approx 4 weeks a year should I even consider a DP. The two units are 10 years apart
18 REPLIES 18

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Former Boater. Get the DP and you'll love every minute on the road or in a far away CG
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham wrote:
Other things being equal, I'd go for the newer rig every time. More stuff will go wrong on the 97 than the 07.
After that, the floorplan is the issue.

In general, yes. However, it depends on which 07 coach you get and which 97. For your money you can get a better built older coach. If that coach has been taken care of, it would be a better deal than a lightly used 07 that had only minimal Mx. Making a blanket statement like that limits your search and you miss a lot of really good buses.

Having said that, I don't recommend older rigs to people who can't do at least some of the work themselves.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Other things being equal, I'd go for the newer rig every time. More stuff will go wrong on the 97 than the 07.
After that, the floorplan is the issue.

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably going to end up with a D/P anyway, just skip the gasser and jump right in. There are a lot of deals around, be patient. Bob
bob b

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased my 18 year old DP last year. I use mine maybe four weeks a year. Totally worth it for me.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
With two kids get the bunk beds you will get tired fast with making the bed up each night only to take it down in the morning so you can eat breakfast. Then you will have to go to bed when the kids do because at night you are in there bed room. With bunk beds each kid has his or hers OWN space.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Couple thoughts..
1.Why not look for same model different seller if you are set on that style gasser?
2. The mechanical 8.3l Cummins is a nice engine combo with few possible glitches compared to the electronic newer stuff. Dunno that coach that well, but if it has fiberglass roof or metal, checks out, the floor plan works 4 you, why not? More than likely a lot more wiggle room in its price, too.

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Look closely at the Eagle.

97 has the solid front axle so no ball joint issues.

Check for any rust in the frame of each storage compartment.

Ours was our first and last RV. Nothing really difficult about starting with a diesel....especially a mechanical C8.3 married to an Allison 3060 six speed transmission.

Eagles were the flagship of Fleetwood at the time, well designed and generally overbuilt.

Depreciation will be just about over for the Eagle, not so for the FR.

Have fun!
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
AGC wrote:
I've been thinking of backing out of the deal as well. But I already did a pre-purchase inspection and everything checked out ok. The issue with the title came up when I ran a Carfax report on it and supposedly his bank caused the issue and is working with DMV to get it resolved.

Waiting so long has made me rethink the purchase and whether it makes sense or not.

AGC,
This was going to be my 2 cents worth. That first coach, may be everything you want and need in your first coach/RV. It may very well be perfect. To "run" from it simply because the air heads that control paperwork can't tie their own shoes, may be a mistake. Not all DMV transactions go smooth as silk. I've dealt with a couple of states DMVs over my life and, not only can the DMV screw things up royally, but, if there's any other entity involved at all, i.e. a bank, the manufacturer (Honda finance corperation), smog system inspection and screw-ups/ etc. there can be time factors before things are cleared up.

If any of you live in CA, there's little to no doubt you've seen vehicles running around with a big "number" on the license plate or, glued onto the inside of the back window. That number represents a time delay in registration because of some glitch in the system. It can be as much as a month, two or three of a delay. But, having that number on the vehicle allows for it to be operated on the roads, until things are cleared up.

So, while this first RV you're possibly interested in might have a registration issue, it still can be a great coach, with a little patience. But, on the other hand, there's only a few zillion other coaches out there for sale that can take its place.

As for turning towards a diesel for your first coach, that's a tough one. There's lots of reasons that would steer you to one and, quite a few to steer you away from it too. The argument for cost in maintenance of a diesel vs gas unit has been debated on here and other RV forums for a few decades. About 99.99% of the diesel coaches are bigger, stronger, heavier, built better, ride better, have bigger tires and wheels, bigger brakes, auxiliary brakes and more.

There are a few lighter duty diesels but, those are few and far between. An older, nicer one, like the second one you're thinking of, is very nice in terms of quality of build, enhancements, layout, and more and, will cost much less. However, a '97 Diesel is 18 years old and, it has 18 year old technology and, 18 years worth of degradation, deterioration, wear and tear, and more.

Does all this mean it's not worth looking into, nope, not at all. That coach can conceivably go for another 18 years without very many issues at all. Mainly because it's a higher end one to begin with, not to mention if it's had good care for it's life so far.

So, lot's of things to consider. Take some time, think about it, go with a gut feeling in your endeavor here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it truly is just a paperwork issue and it is clean and what you want then I would wait an acceptable amount of time! that time is up to you. however the RV`ing season is upon us, so by waiting you are running out of days to use it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

AGC
Explorer
Explorer
I've been thinking of backing out of the deal as well. But I already did a pre-purchase inspection and everything checked out ok. The issue with the title came up when I ran a Carfax report on it and supposedly his bank caused the issue and is working with DMV to get it resolved.

Waiting so long has made me rethink the purchase and whether it makes sense or not.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
AGC wrote:
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing first MH (RV for that matter) and plan to use it a few times a year (approx 4 weeks) with our two young kids. We have settled on a 2007 FR Georgetown with bunks but have continued to see what else is out there while waiting for the owner to take care of a title issue with the bank (its been going on for s few months now).

I found a 1997 American Eagle with decent miles for about the same price. I was all set on a gas class a but read a lot of the threads about folks regretting they didn't buy a DP instead. With a limited budget of low to mid 40s and my plans of using it approx 4 weeks a year should I even consider a DP. The two units are 10 years apart

I'd be looking for some thing more like THIS
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
Skip the first one and rent one for only weeks of use a year. Not Cost effective to buy one considering maintenance, storage, etc.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
AGC, you have been a member since 2003 and never owned a RV? You are one patient man! LOL!

I, too, would skip the first unit. Just about any RV likes to be run often to keep all the parts from drying out.

For the lack of use that you are talking about, would a travel trailer work? You could use it as a guest house or man cave when parked at home.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins