cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mercedes sprinter chassis

docsbrown
Explorer
Explorer
we are downsizing from a diesel pusher to a class C.
We had a tiffin before current one and the Wayfarer caught our attention, but when studying it a bit the 702 lbs carrying capacity killed it for us.
so we are back on the drawing board, we like the View, and we know is the older model built on this chassis, but there are so many now.
We were at the TAmpa show yesterday and saw the new Synergy made from Thor, and the Melbourne Prestige made from Jayco.
when we shopped class A diesel pushers we avoided these two brands for not stellar reputation, does that apply also for their class C?
we also liked the little class A Via, but cant have it with the loft bed, and we need some kind of bed upfront.
Give me your opinion please, it is really valued.
Thanks
38 REPLIES 38

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's my comments regarding a Class B+ or Class C RV built on a Sprinter chassis:

1. Coach walls and steps are too low to the ground - how you gonna take them reliably off paved roads?
2. Too tall for their dually track-width in the rear - they look unstable side-to-side.
3. Difficult to find emergency servicing when something goes wrong a long way from home.
4. They're not basement-design motorhomes - where's the several smaller outside storage cabinets that are actually tall enough to fit much into (in addition to the single main one that they all have)?
5. I don't think that the double coach batteries are right under the doorstep - accessible from the outside or inside, rain or shine ... and kept a bit warm from being located just under the floor of the coach in cold weather. (Warm batteries perform better in the winter - which is when you need them most to perform up to their full potential.)
6. If you want one with a stronger coach structure you must get one without slides. But without slides, they are just too narrow to get around in.
7. The commonly available Ford E450 and Chevy 4500 chassis under a motorhome means you can pretty much carry anything you want in them if you have one of those two chassis under a Class B+ or Class C motorhome up to around 28 feet long.
8. Diesel is available in whole lot of places but not "everywhere". Gasoline is available in just about every little podunk U.S. town.
9. Not a lot of the Sprinter based rigs have a full cabover sleeper bed. You may have to search hard for a cabover bed one that also has the other features you might want.
10. It unfortunately may not be recommeded to idle the Sprinter engine an hour or two in order to take advantage of it's large alternator in order to quietly and quickly charge the coach battery bank in noise sensitive drycamping situations where solar won't do it and where the built-in generator may be too load. This idling limitation does not exist, for instance, with the Ford V10.
11. For what it's worth speaking from experience, the Ford V10 pulling our small Class C has continued to pull strong so far up to and through a 11,300 foot pass in Colorado.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

docsbrown
Explorer
Explorer
I am loving all the answers, they are giving us the different point of view we were looking for.
to give some more information, we are thinking to go again with a diesel, because it what we always used for our MH. we bought a class A gasser at one point and it went back for a trade in less than 3 weeks.
I know that the sprinter is not a DP but it is a proven chassis for over 10 years.
I know there are differences in the buildings craft of the various manufactures, that it what brought us to the Wayfarer, but the cargo capacity is just not there.
are the Synergy by Thor and the Melbourne Prestige by Jayco comparable in quality?

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
The difference in fuel economy does not tell the true story. Given how much higher priced diesel is than gasoline, (lets say $2.43 gas/$3.05 diesel) and a fuel mileage at the same speed, of 11 mpg for the V10 vs 15 mpg for the Sprinter, the cost per mile difference is only about TWO CENTS per mile.

My older WBO View with the five cylinder diesel get better fuel economy at the cost of performance, vs the newer V6 powered Sprinter chassis motorhomes. Over the past 10K miles (almost exactly) since I purchased it, I have averaged 17.09 mpg, but a good bit of that is lower speed 55mph state highway driving and some local driving. On my 3700 mile trip to the Black Hills and back the mileage varied depending on terrain, wind, etc, but generally the interstate driving at 63-66 mph netted me 16.5 mpg as an average. (its all in a spreadsheet).

All of that being said, If I were looking to buy a motorhome today, I would be looking at a ten year old Class C on a Ford E450 chassis (4 inch wider track than an E350) and way wider track than a Sprinter, and a whole bunch of other reasons. This is my first RV and I went into it saying that I didn't want to get stuck with something that got horrible gas mileage in case gas went out of $ight again.

Truth is, I want to get away from a MH altogether and get a decent tow vehicle (2500 something.... diesel) and a 22-25 ft travel trailer. The Unicorns just haven't brought it to me yet.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ezrider999
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very interested in this topic because I've been conducting research for months on all the class-C's built on the MB Sprinter. I've owned several Mercedes diesel cars over 40 years and they all have been rock solid. On paper I thought the Tiffin Wayfarer 24WQ (queen bed in a slide out the back) would be my choice on the Tiffin reputation alone. It certainly has several nice standard features such as diesel generator, but it has practically no basement storage. Many other brands, such as the Dynamax Isata 3, do a little better on basement storage, but not much better, then I saw the Thor Synergy Sprinter SP24 (the same configuration with the queen bed in a rear slide). That model has a HUGE storage compartment that can be accessed from either side or the rear. Add their Summit Upgrade Package, and it still prices out way lower ($10 - $15K) than the Tiffin. It's my new favorite, but other Thor products have several fair to poor reviews. Thor makes the Sprinter C in three different price tiers, and Synergy is their "luxury" model. I see quite a few on the road. Are there any Synergy owners that can share their experiences with Thor's build quality and warranty service on the Synergy Sprinter? Much thanks!!

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Old Crows, for the link to the Winnie forums. It is very useful!!
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but maybe expand it? No one has mentioned the Ford Transit diesel chassis. I do realize it has a GVWR even lower than the Sprinter, but since we are looking a single slide B+ models with the twin bed configuration and overhead entertainment center/ cabinets only, we figure it might work for our needs. We have yet to get a close look at one.

I’d love to hear comments from those who have experience with the Ford Transit diesel chassis....such as Winnebago Fuse, etc.

Ed, you might try http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/

A new forum created from an older Yahoo??? group??? Much nicer and easier to use.

I've looked at them but the 'Boss' says it's too small (much like our Ventura "B". No doubt Ford is going to sell a ton of these vans for all purposes. Probably will make a nice "B" Class RV or a Touring Van.

They do look pretty 'light weight' compared to a Sprinter based RV like a View. The bottom line is really two fold. Does it serve your needs without undue hassle? And, what is it's Occupant & Cargo Carrying Capacity? It can be a 'peach' but if it has the OCCC of a paper sack, it might be a consideration.
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to hijack the thread, but maybe expand it? No one has mentioned the Ford Transit diesel chassis. I do realize it has a GVWR even lower than the Sprinter, but since we are looking a single slide B+ models with the twin bed configuration and overhead entertainment center/ cabinets only, we figure it might work for our needs. We have yet to get a close look at one.

I’d love to hear comments from those who have experience with the Ford Transit diesel chassis....such as Winnebago Fuse, etc.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
nice way to say it all.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
There are significant differences between the Chevy/Ford MH-C and the Sprinter based MH-C. Determine what you need and make the choice.

Some of the floorplans are not available in both "groups." That drove us to the Sprinter.

If you need size or more towing capacity that will drive you to the Chevy/Ford MH-C. The Sprinter cannot compete in that spec.

If cost is an issue, the Sprinter will cost more. They hold their value well in the used market. There are a lot more good used Chevy/Ford products available at favorable prices.

The Sprinter drives much straighter in similar conditions, the Sprinter handles like an MB should. When its windy both types can be a handful.

The cockpit of the Sprinter is comfortable, plenty of foot room to get in and out. The seating position is great. The view is great. Our seats are MB and fit just right.

Somewhere right around an altitude of 7,000 feet the Sprinter has more torque than the NA Chevy/Ford. At 10k the NA engines are hard pressed to make 70% of their rated torque. That turbo in the Sprinter makes a huge difference at altitude and when in the mountains going up a pass, its really easy comfortable driving. No sluggish performance. I still generally stay in the right lane, but can slip into the middle lane when heading out of Denver and pass the strugglers, without holding up traffic in the middle lane.

My wife actually likes to and looks forward to driving the Sprinter, as does our daughter.

Like, I said in the beginning, there is a place for both types of rigs. To paraphrase Harry Callahan, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Good Luck.

Rick

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
we,ve had A,s B,s C,s TT , we,ll keep out sprinter. fuel will go way up in the next summer,or so. I love that 18mpg. ours has the older I5 cyc MB diesel and we cruise all day long at 65mph, right along side ,or passing those gas hogs.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Old Crows wrote:
There are two parts to the OPs question/answer.

First, up fitter quality. Big variable between builders and within models & years. Your satisfaction depends on how well you coach is screwed together. Sprinter up fitters have to follow the MB up fitter's manual to build out on a Sprinter chassis. Thus you will see a lot of similarity in RVs at the chassis level. I.E., certain things will be in certain places on the chassis. Above the floor, it is up to the up fitter.

The other question concerns the Sprinter. From around 2012/13 almost every Class C is built on a 3500 (rear duals) cab chassis. The As are 3500 chassis sans cab. 3500s have a GVWR of 11,030 lbs up to today. Today, drive trains are 3L turbo V6 w/ 5 speed auto or an I4 twin turbo diesel w/ 7 speed auto. The reliability as well as the MB service points of the V6 have improved in later years.

Put politely, those who talk down the Sprinter drive train, more likely as not, have little or no experience with one. There are boatloads of Sprinters of all years doing Yeomans work in commercial service and hustling RVs around the country. They are smooth, efficient and QUIET. Having now owned a second V6, they do not want for performance or pulling power. Our '14 View has easily climbed to almost 8K feet and maintained road speed without drama or plumes of soot. (Been passed many times by Big Class A diesel pushers and PUs hauling gigantic fivers on the flats. Hitting a long grade and leaving the CC on it just reels them in meter by meter as they bog down and gag on soot trying to make 45mph upgrade. I give'm a headlight flash and a couple of friendly hoots as we effortlessly glide past.....)

I suggest taking a test drive or chatting up an owner and grabbing a tour of their RV. The first appreciation is the quiet, comfortable, well organized cab and super HVAC system. Ford and Chevy are still pounding out the horrible seats, cab layouts and absolutely miserable HVAC systems that they made in the '70s when you can BBQ a side of beef on the passenger side floor and you need noise cancelling headsets to hear yourself think.

Economy? A V6 View will grab about 15+ on average. A V10 Ford can't touch it.

Suggest visiting www.sprinter-source/forums.

Amen to that.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Old Crows wrote:
Ford and Chevy are still pounding out the horrible seats, cab layouts and absolutely miserable HVAC systems that they made in the '70s when you can BBQ a side of beef on the passenger side floor and you need noise cancelling headsets to hear yourself think.

I surely agree that the Ford E350 with V10 we have owned for 10 years does like to roar when climbing, especially when towing our Jeep. And I will agree the passenger floor gets warm, but strangely my wife appreciates it because I like to have the a/c on. Then there is the leg room...OH the E350 leg room cannot compare to a Sprinter. But...

- The a/c on our E350 is great! I am surprised to read any criticism about it. It pumps out a lot of cold and does so quietly. It cools our entire rig, no need to run the generator for roof a/c...never ever when the chassis a/c is running on the road or idling in a parking spot.

- The seats are awesome, but understand the E350 seats are always supplied by the RV outfitter, not Ford. The Ford chassis is purchased with only a bolted-in disposable cafeteria seat for lot driving.

- About fuel economy. No doubt the Sprinter will beat the E350-V10 hands-down. BUT the MPG difference hardly reflects reality if everything else was equal. If we drove our 24 foot long E350 rig the way we see Sprinter RVers drive their rig at a slower pace and not towing, we would have better fuel economy seeing around 11 mpg trip average and 12 to 13 mpg if taking snaps shots of interstate driving at slower speeds across the flat plains. The MPG difference would be around 4 mpg if the rigs were identical (ex: Phoenix Cruiser 2350 platform) one Sprinter, one E350, driven together in a caravan.

I am not trying to convince the OP the Sprinter is a bad idea...No Way. What I am trying to say is that it is worth the effort to educate yourself on the pros and cons of each and weigh them against your priorities and towing needs. With that, then make your decision to avoid buyer's remorse later. Don't blindly buy an E350 or a Sprinter based motorhome when there so many choices combined.

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
There are two parts to the OPs question/answer.

First, up fitter quality. Big variable between builders and within models & years. Your satisfaction depends on how well you coach is screwed together. Sprinter up fitters have to follow the MB up fitter's manual to build out on a Sprinter chassis. Thus you will see a lot of similarity in RVs at the chassis level. I.E., certain things will be in certain places on the chassis. Above the floor, it is up to the up fitter.

The other question concerns the Sprinter. From around 2012/13 almost every Class C is built on a 3500 (rear duals) cab chassis. The As are 3500 chassis sans cab. 3500s have a GVWR of 11,030 lbs up to today. Today, drive trains are 3L turbo V6 w/ 5 speed auto or an I4 twin turbo diesel w/ 7 speed auto. The reliability as well as the MB service points of the V6 have improved in later years.

Put politely, those who talk down the Sprinter drive train, more likely as not, have little or no experience with one. There are boatloads of Sprinters of all years doing Yeomans work in commercial service and hustling RVs around the country. They are smooth, efficient and QUIET. Having now owned a second V6, they do not want for performance or pulling power. Our '14 View has easily climbed to almost 8K feet and maintained road speed without drama or plumes of soot. (Been passed many times by Big Class A diesel pushers and PUs hauling gigantic fivers on the flats. Hitting a long grade and leaving the CC on it just reels them in meter by meter as they bog down and gag on soot trying to make 45mph upgrade. I give'm a headlight flash and a couple of friendly hoots as we effortlessly glide past.....)

I suggest taking a test drive or chatting up an owner and grabbing a tour of their RV. The first appreciation is the quiet, comfortable, well organized cab and super HVAC system. Ford and Chevy are still pounding out the horrible seats, cab layouts and absolutely miserable HVAC systems that they made in the '70s when you can BBQ a side of beef on the passenger side floor and you need noise cancelling headsets to hear yourself think.

Suggest visiting www.sprinter-source/forums.
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Thor and Jayco are still lower-end brands based on everything I read on forums. The lower price translates to more issues of which new owners deal with. That old saying applies, you get what you pay for.

You need to research a little as Jayco is one of the Thor companies. Thor is the largest manufacturers of RV's and the price level varies depending upon the Thor brand. Thor includes:
Airstream
Bison Coach
Breckenridge
CrossRoads RV
Cruiser RV
Dutchmen RV
DRV
Entegra
Heartland RV
Jayco, Inc
Keystone RV
KZ RV
Livin Lite RV
Redwood RV
Thor Motor Coach (combined Four Winds International and Damon Motor Coach)

So, one has to be a little more specific when discussing Thor.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We really like ours (our first RV) but if you search around on this forum you will find many, many different opinions about the Sprinter chassis. Every RV has something to like and something not to like, so do some reading and visit some shows and dealers.

After that most agree that the floor plan is the best thing to settle on prior to purchase.

I hope you find something that suits you and gives you many enjoyable miles.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.