cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

metal valve stems for a 2006 sprinter RV

mathman
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know where I can find metal valve stems for a 2006 Itasca Navion.
Mathman

2015 Navion
9 REPLIES 9

mathman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks CharlesinGA.
Mathman

2015 Navion

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I owned and have sold, a 2007 WBO View, which was on the same chassis, the Sprinter T1N chassis with the 5 cylinder diesel.

I went thru the Borg stems fiasco on mine. The stems for the inner dual were difficult to install and get to clear the outer dual properly. The wheels are darn difficult to install without damaging the stems, as you are hanging the inner dual on the studs and then trying to slide the outer dual over the studs and not snag, catch, etc the long stem from the inner dual.

My take on it was to remove the chrome or stainless wheel simulators and sell them, throw them in the scrap metal bin, or put them in the attic.

Use the rubber/brass high pressure stems in the wheels. DO NOT use all metal stems, as the stems need to flex slightly for the straight foot of the chuck to fit onto them.

Install Alligator V2B "inflate thru" caps which allow you to check and inflate tires without removing the caps, yet the stems and cores stay protected.

Amazon, 10 pack Alligator V2B inflate thru caps.
The alligator caps do not have threads on the outside, just gripping grooves, you DO NOT install any kind of cap over these, they ARE the cap.

Then buy a Milton 12 inch dual wheel inflator model S693-12 It is imperative that you use this one that has a straight end and an angled back chuck on it.

Milton 12 inch S693-12 inflator.

The inflator has grooves inside it to allow it to grip on valve stem threads, which is frustrating on this usage as it hangs and is difficult to remove without losing too much air. Milton did make a smooth bore chuck nut to replace the one with the internal grooves, a P500-2, but it is no longer on the web site, the new replacement has the grooves in them.

Anyhow, you can easily find tire gauges with the same type of straight/angled back foot, and these tools will allow you to easily check and service the Sprinter wheels.

For the front wheels, it is not too difficult to find the original Mercedes plastic hub caps.

https://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/products/sprinter-3500-front-wheel-cover

These used to be easy to find as new take offs, from employees who worked at the RV companies. They removed them during the wheel simulator installation. It is more difficult now because the new simulators will install properly right over the plastic hub caps so the RV companies don't waste the time to remove them. The later caps DO fit the earlier sprinter wheels. Carefully paint your rear hubs black and touch up any damaged silver on the wheels and you are good to go.

I went the "full Monty" on my View and installed the Mercedes Grill and a Boomrang spare tire cover intended for the G-Wagen, but is a perfect fit on the Sprinter tire.

Sprinter T1N grill conversion

You need to remove the glued on chrome trim on the lower edge of the hood. One person carefully cut it out (its plastic) and managed to do this without damaging the chrome on it.

https://youtu.be/BotrCTHuQUM

https://boomco.com/mercedes-tire-covers/rigid-tire-cover-mercedes-g-class/ width=640

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Borg Dually for all types of wheels on your RV.

X2 on the Borg Dually Valves
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

mathman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Sagebrush I will check them out.
Mathman

2015 Navion

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
NAPA has the best prices in my experience. A whole lot cheaper than Etrailer! I just bought bolt in metal high pressure stems, most places wanted $12 a piece or more, NAPA had the same chrome straight short straight stems for $3.99 each. Ebay had them for $8 per, Amazon was like $17 per. I'm glad I checked NAPA.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that any tire shop could supply what you need

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Borg Dually for all types of wheels on your RV.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

mathman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks MT BOB that is just what I needed.
Mathman

2015 Navion

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps these?
http://accu-pressure.com/eShop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=51