cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Michelin Tire Pressure

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I am not the sharpest tack in the box, but I am having trouble reading Michelin's chart. I have a 29' B+ with 3 slides. I have LT225/75R16 tires. My front weight is 3900lbs (far below the max) and my rear dual axle is 9700lbs (200 lbs over weight). The Michelin chart shows a max at 80lbs PSI to be 2600lbs in the front and 4940lbs in the rear with dual tires. These numbers are far below my weight. What am I not seeing in their chart?
13 REPLIES 13

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
j-d-- I notified the moderator as you recommended. thank you

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thread per Issue per Originator is really best. Might be able to "Notify Moderator" and have the redundant one closed or linked to the other.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F---It was posted twice because I did not think I actually sent the first one and as it turned out I did.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
derh2o wrote:
Mich F--i don't know where you are coming from. I have a more interesting life than to sit on my computer all day looking for something to do. I will get to the other thread when i have time.

My response, with a smilie, was in response to ah6id's question as to why you started two threads on the same subject.
Both of us, by the way, had responded to your other thread, trying to help you in understanding the weight charts.
Lighten up. 😉
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Monaco Montclair 29PBT - Beautiful!!! Need to link that to Signature - WOW!
I pulled up the Brochure. If the pictures showing Colors are of a 29PBT (and yours is beautiful in Eclipse!) then the rear wheel wells are under the Fridge and Shower on Passenger Side, Stove and Lavatory on Driver side. I maintain that's why the rear axle's overloaded. In the side view pic, the "house" (not counting the fairing over the Cab) appears "balanced" on the rear axle. A little more wheelbase would shift the balance forward, but then the wheel wells would interfere with the Floor Plan. They find a spot where the floor doesn't need to be flat all the way out to the walls.
It's gonna be hard to shift much weight forward. With the two slides forward, it surprises me the front axle weight isn't higher, though. Just don't load heavy under the bed. You haven't said it doesn't drive well. If it's a handful to keep "in lane" I'd suggest aligning the front end to at least 5-deg of CASTER and adding a rear track bar.

derh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add this: yes, my wife and dog were in the vehicle which is on a E450 chassis. also had a full take of fuel and all other tanks were probably empty. Sorry for the confusion. We just got back from a trip to Canada and I am not thinking properly.
Dean & Melinda
2011 29' Monaco Montclaire
2012 Ford Focus Toad

derh2o
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies. I took my rig to a CAT weigh station and that is where i got the numbers. As far as relocating items, that would be difficult. In the back I just have clothes and under the bed I have an aluminum folding chair and other items like TP and paper towel. I have 2 larger compartments on the outside. One toward the rear where i have a BBQ, a bucket, soap and a few other light items. I do have a foam mattress which is heavier than a normal mattress. The other compartment is directly on the rear axle where I have a tool box with a small amount of tools, a socket set and leveling blocks. None of these items can be moved to the smaller compartments outside. I will read the postings above to better understand them, but it appears my biggest issue is that I did not realize Michelin's numbers were per tire so I would need to double the number stated to verify the limits.
Dean & Melinda
2012 Ford Focus Toad

derh2o
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F--i don't know where you are coming from. I have a more interesting life than to sit on my computer all day looking for something to do. I will get to the other thread when i have time.
Dean & Melinda
2012 Ford Focus Toad

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
ah64id wrote:
Why 2 threads on the same topic?

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27831169.cfm

Maybe he didn't like the responses he was getting on the other thread? :B
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Why 2 threads on the same topic?

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27831169.cfm
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
More of a case that slides make it overweight. I have a 26' with a queen not sandwiched in a corner but without slides. I've still got around 2100 lbs. left after being fully packed with the water and fuel tank full. Slides are a cargo capacity killer on mid to long C's.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "truck" version of the chart is PER AXLE. The "RV" version is by Corner LF, RF, LR, RR... They do this to affirm the finding that RV's tend to be loaded unevenly side to side. So they express Corners instead of Axles. And, Dual does not carry twice the load of a Single. Your front pressure would be 55-psi, and your rear axle is overloaded, so 80-psi there and try to shift weight forward.
Coach may not have enough wheelbase. This happens when a builder tries to but a walkaround queen rear bedroom on less than a 31-ft coach.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Have you had the RV weighed or are you only using the numbers off of the door sticker.

Your two front tires will support 2600lbs X 2 = 5200lbs total. So you are 1300lbs safe 5200 - 3900 = 1300lbs

Rear would be 4940 X 2 = 9880 so you are safe by only 180 lbs on the rear.

To make sure you are safe have the RV weighed to confirm all of the numbers.

In the meantime keep the tires inflated to the maximum of 80lbs.