cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorhome Insurance

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I did not expect when purchasing a new motorhome, was the huge difference in rates. Our old motorhome rate was $599.73 per year. Our new Bounder comes in at a rate of $1368.34 per year. Needless to say, I will begin shopping around. What kind of success have people had shopping around for cheaper insurance? My past experiences at shopping around, have not been good at finding cheaper.
Mark
7 REPLIES 7

GrampaR123
Explorer
Explorer
That glass must be super clean if it's not detectable.
Aww........c'mon you guys, you know you wanted to do it.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The replacement value from National General was a nice policy we had on our 5er, and it stays with you as long as you own your rig.

We bought this one used, and it just missed the replacement value mark, so we shopped and Safeco was the best for us. I splurged for no detectable on the glass.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I had Progressive on my older '94 Bounder and mistakenly thought I'd get a discount when I added my newer '02 Winnie. After all, I could only drive one of them at a time. But no discount, I discovered after paying up front.

I'd called them, expecting to get a couple questions asked, and I'd assumed I'd get a multiple policy discount. The salesman told me yeah, I was getting their discount. When I looked into it, turned out the guy was less then honest. They'd added a premium onto my two policies of around $225 or so over if I'd bought the 2nd policy separately online. Salesman's commission I'd wager.

Cancelled both policies. Cost me $60 to do that too. Came back a month later and bought just one policy online (and I'd sold the Bounder so didn't need a double). Still saved money over buying over the phone.

So I'd recommend you check for a policy quote online, do not mention you've got a policy with them (they ask that on the online form). At least with Progressive. I'd bet this is true for all insurance companies these days though.

If you call and talk to a real person, it's gunna cost you.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have Progressive insurance - full-time coverage.

Look how much more your insurance will have to pay out if something happens to the new motorhome vs the old. Perfectly understandable why they would charge more for the premium. If you are not full-time, do they allow you to put just storage coverages on it when you are not using it? If so, that can reduce the cost significantly.
Insurance rates are different State to State even with the same carrier!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have Progressive insurance - full-time coverage.

Look how much more your insurance will have to pay out if something happens to the new motorhome vs the old. Perfectly understandable why they would charge more for the premium. If you are not full-time, do they allow you to put just storage coverages on it when you are not using it? If so, that can reduce the cost significantly.

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
Try National General thru Good Sam. 25 yr insurance agent before going full time. I'm happy with them.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Replacement value, insurance company would be out less on your old rig.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu