cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Much Wind, and Glad for the Class A!!!

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Let's just say that it's been windy here in Anacortes with 70 mph gusts nearby recently. We lost power at home for 31 hours, on for 6 hours, and now off again at midnight with power projected to be restored at midnight Tuesday night?

No Wavecable internet, telephone or cable TV. Verizon cell phone service is possible if I'm outside, standing on one foot, holding the phone to the sky. . . sometimes. Verizon Mi-Fi is the same. Puget Sound Energy is on speed dial.

We've used the 5500 watt MH generator to get power to the refrigerator, freezer, and a charging station in the house. I think that we'll have martinis and movies in the MH tonight. I't truly glad the we have this option and don't have to be outside fighting the wind, rain, and fallen trees like the linemen are facing now.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L
14 REPLIES 14

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I beseech you to use your influence and help me get a place at Ft Worden.

I don't care much for Oysters, but like Oyster Stew. Your Crabs are delightful. Not the ones that bite and itch but the ones from your traps.

I am sending an application to Ft Wroden as we speak.

Terry

Pangaea Ron wrote:
bigred1

We love it here, the pink salmon (humpies) are splashing along our shore now. They are not my favorite salmon, but readily caught, and a huge run this year. I prefer the Dungeness crab from my pots, and the Pacific oysters, Manila clams, and Mediterranean mussels that I raise and collect from my beach.

I've never done Buoy 10 fishing, but I hear that it is magnificent. I actually saved a charter skipper that swamped his friend's boat in our bay, and he offered me a free trip, but I never took him up on it. He was luckier than he knew?

In 1970, I helped do the master plan for utilizing Fort Worden for the WA State Parks Commission in Port Townsend. I love the area and camp at Fort Casey SP next to the ferry landing at Keystone (now called the Coupeville ferry landing?)

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1

We love it here, the pink salmon (humpies) are splashing along our shore now. They are not my favorite salmon, but readily caught, and a huge run this year. I prefer the Dungeness crab from my pots, and the Pacific oysters, Manila clams, and Mediterranean mussels that I raise and collect from my beach.

I've never done Buoy 10 fishing, but I hear that it is magnificent. I actually saved a charter skipper that swamped his friend's boat in our bay, and he offered me a free trip, but I never took him up on it. He was luckier than he knew?

In 1970, I helped do the master plan for utilizing Fort Worden for the WA State Parks Commission in Port Townsend. I love the area and camp at Fort Casey SP next to the ferry landing at Keystone (now called the Coupeville ferry landing?)
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Love that area wish I could come out for some Pier 10 fishing. I need some 15 pound salmon.

Hope to get a summer camp host Pt Townsend or somewhere similar for summer.

Pangaea Ron wrote:
bigred1

Thanks, I think?

Power, internet, telephone and cable TV are all on now. Thanks to crews from Kamloops, BC.

Oh Canada. . .

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1

Thanks, I think?

Power, internet, telephone and cable TV are all on now. Thanks to crews from Kamloops, BC.

Oh Canada. . .
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, winds are not climate. Thanks for the clarification.

(S-1B) Global Climate, Global Wind Flow

Index

24b. Rotating Frames

The Sun

S-1. Sunlight & Earth

S-1A. Weather

S-1B. Global Climate

S-2.Solar Layers

S-3.The Magnetic Sun

S-3A. Interplanetary
Magnetic Fields

S-4. Colors of Sunlight

S-4A.Color Expts.

S-5.Waves & Photons

Optional: Quantum Physics

Q1.Quantum Physics

Q2. Atoms

Q3. Energy Levels

Q4. Radiation from
Hot Objects

Q5.The Atomic Nucleus
and Bohr's Model

Q6. Expansion of
Bohr's Model
Climate and Latitude

The distribution of the Sun's heat over surface of Earth Sun's heat is quite uneven. Heating is most intense near the equator, where the Sun's rays come down steeply. Such sunlight, arriving at a steep angle, heats the ground much more effectively than light that slants, whose heating is spread out over a wider area (see "The angle of the Sun's rays").
Most of climate is dictated by the way that heating is distributed. It also depends on the tilt of the Earth's axis which gives us the seasons, and by the distribution of oceans, which store the Sun's heat and moderate the climate. Regions far from the ocean experience greater extremes of hot and cold weather, and may also be drier.

The warm tropical regions are traditionally the ones between latitudes 23.5° north and south, lines of latitude known as the "tropic of cancer" and the "tropic of capricorn." Anywhere in that region, which straddles the equator, at least one day exists in the year when the noontime Sun is directly overhead. And the polar regions are the regions poleward of the arctic circles (latitude 66.5°) where at least on one day in winter, the center of the Sun is below the horizon all day long. Those are the regions experiencing "polar night" in midwinter, and hardly any plants survive there. In mid-summer, polar days get very long, but with the Sun close to the horizon, its rays arrive at a shallow angle and their heating power is minimal.

The Sun's energy input is what drives climate, but the atmosphere also has an important role. Heat given to the ground does not stay where it is deposited. Sooner or later the warm ground radiates it away in the form of infra-red light. Those infra-red rays, in turn, do not travel far before being re-absorbed by greenhouse gases such as water vapor (see S-1 Sunlight and the Earth). Later those gas molecules again give up their heat, also as infra-red radiation, some of which reaches further upwards. By such a chain of absorption and re-emission heat gradually spreads, like sunlight in a fog, until some of it reaches levels from where it can be radiated to space, never to return.

The level where this happens is the beginning of a dry and stable atmospheric layer known as the stratosphere. The part of the atmosphere below that-- the region where weather takes place, more active and more humid--is called the troposphere, and the boundary between it and the stratosphere is the tropopause

Large-scale air flows near the equator

As heat diffuses through the layers of the atmosphere, it is also spread by atmospheric flows, by winds. In general

--All air flows are powered by the heat energy
given to the ground by the Sun.
--Air flows try to get rid of this heat as efficiently as possible.
--In general, heated air flows away from where it is heated
to where it can best send its heat back to space.

Most heat arrives in the tropics, but it can be re-radiated from the top of the atmosphere anywhere on Earth. Spreading it out allows a larger area of the atmosphere to participate in its return. This yields a more efficient disposal of heat, and that is what global atmospheric flows try to achieve. Warm air is transported towards the poles, cooled air returns equatorward.

Currently Earth experiences a growth in the "greenhouse effect"--the effect of gases like CO2 (carbon dioxide), methane, water vapor and ozone, which impedes the flow of heat from the ground where it is first absorbed, to the top of the atmosphere where it is radiated back to space.

Global flows, described below, help drive heated air from the equator towards the poles, spreading the area of heat return. When the transport of heat from the ground to the top layers is impeded by the "greenhouse effect," such flows may be driven to spread the area participating in heat return, making them extend further poleward. The result of such spreading could be the recently observed melting of polar sea ice (which threatens polar bears) and of glaciers in Greenland and in Antarctica.

But how does this happen?

The answer is complicated (and I thank Dr. Mark Schoeberl of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center for helping me out). First of all, since the atmosphere is 3 dimensional one may well ask--are the dominant motions vertical or horizontal? Logic alone is an uncertain guide. It is much better to observe how nature does it, or (in recent years) use large computers to simulate the physics, reassuring us that the factors we hold responsible indeed combine to act this way.

Hadley cell circulation

It was Hadley in 1735 who proposed the motion was mainly vertical (see drawing above). If the Earth did not rotate, such a flow would be confined to a north-south plane. Hot air would rise near the equator and cool down at higher altitudes, while cooler air from off-equator regions would flow equatorward and take its place. http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Sweather2.htm

gbopp wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
There is no climate change

gbopp wrote:
Another plus to having a RV. Emergency shelter.

You never know when you'll need it. Especially with the 'changing' weather patterns.

I said 'changing' weather patterns. Not climate change. :W

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Our part of Anacortes has underground power lines and we didn't even get a flicker. The wind knocked down 18 feet of the elderly fence between us and next door neighbor, but no other damage.

We get a quick response if a power outage affects the poles along the main road to the ferry terminal, as they carry the three-phase power for all the San Juan islands.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Lissen at these folks suckin the glory off us hurricane chrirren. It's still summer! LOL!
-jbh-

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:

gbopp wrote:

You never know when you'll need it. Especially with the 'changing' weather patterns.

I said 'changing' weather patterns. Not climate change. :W

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer

gbopp wrote:

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Those high winds don't sound good for the fires east of you .

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lived in the area for a time, and year after year, trees blew down on power lines. I guess underground power must be WAY more expensive than I imagine because it has to be expensive to keep repairing these overhead lines every year.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm familiar with your town. I spent three years at the Whidbey Island NAS, many years ago.

I would definitely have the RV stocked, fueled and ready to go.

Hopefully, you will never have to use it for that purpose. But....

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp

I absolutely agree. We live on the beach, on an island (with bridges) within easy reach of a tsunami from an earthquake event off the Washington coast. NOAA has done a model that shows a large wave hitting across the bay from us and then reflecting back towards our home. Damage would probably be minimal, but then a large wave develops that will isolate the island for a long, long time.

We keep the MH stocked and ready to go (or stay) in the event of an emergency.

Tick, tick, tick.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer