cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My B and a question?

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I'd post a few pictures of my summer vacation mobile, and also see if there are other owners of my kind of class B

1990 Dodge B-350 based Islander goldstream. Full paint and exterior restoration in 2013

The overcab sleeper is great. While I like roadtrek, pleasureway and other brands of B RVs as well, they all lack this. I don't know why there are no more widebody or Van based Bs with overcab sleepers.

Anyway, here are a few before and after pics.

I plan to have it as long as possible
24 REPLIES 24

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
They use to call it Class changed to Type several years ago. Even though they changed it, pretty much everyone kept using the term Class. It was discussed back then as to why RIVA changed, and several people thought that RIVA felt that Class was not "PC" enough. :h
Go RVing is RIVA's consumer site. Has a little better definitions.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd wrote:
Here is the clickable link.

Type B Motorhomes

Note they don't say Class B anymore. They say type B but clearly say camper van. The rest is somewhat not very clear as a distinction such as drives like a family van, sleeps up to four and an out of date price range. The examples of the Bs are out of date as well since no new B looks like the examples.

Does it matter? What matters is what RV.net says and how it sets up its message boards. Why people argue that and can't accept it is mystifying to me.

Yes, Type B. But the word 'class' is now 'type'.

There are now Type A and C too, you may have missed it - maybe not.

Bud

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the clickable link.

Type B Motorhomes

Note they don't say Class B anymore. They say type B but clearly say camper van. The rest is somewhat not very clear as a distinction such as drives like a family van, sleeps up to four and an out of date price range. The examples of the Bs are out of date as well since no new B looks like the examples.

Does it matter? What matters is what RV.net says and how it sets up its message boards. Why people argue that and can't accept it is mystifying to me.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
BillJ999 wrote:
Here is how the RVIA describes a class B. The pictures sure look like this van! There is no mention of it starting as a van or a cutaway, whether in the class B or class C description.
http://www.rvia.org/?esid=TypeBMHs

This is from RIVA'S consumer site.
Type B Motorhome
"Commonly called van campers, Type B Motorhomes are built using automotive manufactured van or panel-truck shells. Van campers drive more like the family car, but offer the comforts and conveniences of home on the road."

Type C Motorhome
"Type C Motorhomes are built on an automotive van frame with a wider body section attached to the original cab section. Many Type C Motorhomes are easily recognizable by the over-the-cab area that is often an optional sleeping area. Amenities are similar to those in conventional motorhomes."

Go RVing

These are the definitions that RV.Net uses for its web site.
I'm sure it will continue to be argued till the dead horse comes back to life. 🙂

SuperiorBound
Explorer
Explorer
I too prefer the old style B like yours.

BillJ999
Explorer
Explorer
Here is how the RVIA describes a class B. The pictures sure look like this van! There is no mention of it starting as a van or a cutaway, whether in the class B or class C description.
http://www.rvia.org/?esid=TypeBMHs

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the van should be classified as a B.

It does in fact retain the original rear van doors, bumper and chassis except for portions of the sides and top. The vehicle was originally purchased as a van and then brought to the conversion company. Apparently back then that is what was done hah.

In terms of fuel mileage, I'm honestly not sure However it doesn't seem that bad. I can go over 550 km per tank it seems if flat highway. The motor is the first year of EFI and it is a 360ci.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
sodajerk wrote:
Why all the discussion over letters of the alphabet? Why not just call it "looking good."

As the former Moderator for this forum I will try and explain the reason.
Mainly, it's to keep the two forums, the B and C from becoming intermingled. New owners sometimes, not in this case, don't know if they purchased a Class B, or Class C.
Since a so called B+ can be 35' long with multiple slide outs, the letters are a way to keep the forums organized. You don't see Class B's posted in Class A, and the same goes for this forum. If I see a post about a Class C I will usually tell the person so they can post in the correct forum where they will find other similar RV's and get the best help. Contrary to what people sometimes think, it's not about disparaging a certain type, or class of RV, is just keeping posts in the correct forum.
The problem in this post was a misinformed person, who didn't know the difference between a B, and a C making an incorrect comment.
To the op, very cool looking Class B, and one to be proud of.

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
Great B! Great Dodge. As an owner of a Coachmen with a bed up there, I like a lot. I think we have to see the interior photos though. Also, my question is, that is a lot of front surface. What gas milage? I get about 13 mpg with the coachmen, and really want to be at 14 at a minimum.

ennajean
Explorer
Explorer
I like it. (looking good)
Anne and Dick

DABEE a 2006 Ford Sportsmobile Penthouse top.

sodajerk
Explorer
Explorer
Why all the discussion over letters of the alphabet? Why not just call it "looking good."
Happy Camping
Jim & Jo Ann
1973 Wide Body Superior Class B on a Chevy 1 Ton Van. 350 Fuel Injection
"Oldie but goodie"

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
studio_driver wrote:
Sorry Naio but the pictures clearly show that it started as a van. It therefore fits the definition of a Class B. Side cut-outs and cab-over have nothing to do with the classification.

This has been discussed to death before on this forum.

Beautiful renovation work in any case.

Alain

X2

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
cjoseph wrote:
That is the epitome of a B+

🙂
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
That is the epitome of a B+

It started as a van and had some box added to it.

What the industry calls B+ is often just a C minus the cab over bed. Those should really be called Class C- ??
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA