cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Navion Diesel Onana Generator

dbro60
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, Anybody have any experience overlos=ading the generator while only using the AC, fridge and tv's. The xbox was hooked up to the tv as well. We just got back from a trip where it popped off 5-6 times wihile driving. It also popped quickly when I tested using the microwave?

I took it to the cummins dealer and they checked it out and said it was doing everything it was supposed to but thought is was sized to low for what it is being used for?

Thoughts or experiences? It's brand new by the way. 2015 24G Navion

Dave Brown
Blair, NE
Dave Brown
Looking to Live the Dream
8 REPLIES 8

van_fl
Explorer
Explorer
Old Crows

Very true about the water heater, howeve if you are running the AC and any thing else when it kicks in the gen Will kick out. Ask me how I know. LOL

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Problem with LP and why they switched to diesel is if you need to run the Roof AC in the summer you will be filling the tank every few days.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
RckyMtnVia wrote:
The Onan 3200 manual shows the watts for various appliances: A/C = 1400 to 2000; fridge = 600 to 1000; TV = 200 to 600 for each TV; microwave = 1000 to 1500; and water heater = 1000 to 1500. You can also expect a 3.5% decrease in power from the generator for every 1,000 feet increase in altitude. In Colorado at 5,000+ feet, our generator outputs 2,640 watts of power. You can see from the figures above that it you were running the A/C, tvs, fridge and water heater, you could easily go over 3,200 watts if you are at sea level. We can run A/C, one tv, water heater and coffee maker without any problem. I did get a heavy duty outdoor extension cord and connect it to the 120v outlet in the outside pedestal, if available, and my DW uses the extension cord for her hair dryer. Best to know the watts and amps of things running. Remember there will be a surge in power when the A/C and other appliances come on.

Well said Sir! And add in a 1% loss for every 10 degrees over 77F the standard test condition). All said, the 3.6 LP is the better choice... Its got 2000W more base load when running the same 13.5 AC. But OP's situation is what it is. The only thing to do is to shed load by selective use of appliances.

(Point of order. The water heater only draws power when it needs to heat water...doesn't work full time...)
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

dbro60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I love the rig. It is a dream to drive. I just me a Papa and the boys (4 grandsons) on an 1850 mile trip. Plenty of room for the 5 of us.

thanks for the tips.dave
Dave Brown

van_fl
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all of the Obove. However remember you only have .7 qt of oil in your gen. keep it just to the full mark. Any time you take a corner your oil will sling to the side? Also use the correct oil for the temp that you are running in. In my Prisem I run 20/50 oil in it ( we have the same gen) per the local Onan shop in the summer.

Ps. Turn off the power to the water heaterwhen running the gen. It will suck a lot of current.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Full size class As have room for 5000-7500 W gensets. Your rv does not, so they put a smaller one in. I think it was intended to mostly just run the AC and TV, nothing else.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

dbro60
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. We were up in South Dakota, eastern Montana and traveled though Wyoming to Estes. Popped in South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming. Stayed at a hotel in Estes so didn't use it there. I would still think that for what we pay for these thing s the generator should be able to handle all the electrical needs of the coach. I never had problems with the two class A's I had?
Dave Brown

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
The Onan 3200 manual shows the watts for various appliances: A/C = 1400 to 2000; fridge = 600 to 1000; TV = 200 to 600 for each TV; microwave = 1000 to 1500; and water heater = 1000 to 1500. You can also expect a 3.5% decrease in power from the generator for every 1,000 feet increase in altitude. In Colorado at 5,000+ feet, our generator outputs 2,640 watts of power. You can see from the figures above that it you were running the A/C, tvs, fridge and water heater, you could easily go over 3,200 watts if you are at sea level. We can run A/C, one tv, water heater and coffee maker without any problem. I did get a heavy duty outdoor extension cord and connect it to the 120v outlet in the outside pedestal, if available, and my DW uses the extension cord for her hair dryer. Best to know the watts and amps of things running. Remember there will be a surge in power when the A/C and other appliances come on.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B