cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with class B road test in NC, will pay/compensate

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Okay..so I'll admit right up front...I'm a total idiot. Let's just get that out of the way. Wife and I purchased a Tiffin Allegro Red diesel pusher. We live in the Raleigh area of NC. We take delivery in FL next Friday -- April 10th. Mid last week I just found out I need a non-CDL classified B license. I didn't need one for my pickup and 40-foot 5th wheel I that I drove for several seasons. So this never ever crossed my mind.

I was wondering if someone with a vehicle (it can be an RV, a box truck, a flatbed, etc.) that has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more would be willing to accompany me to a DMV road test and let me use their vehicle for the test. I insist on paying someone for the use of their vehicle and time. This is a very big request that I'm actually embarrassed to even ask...but I'm up against time here and running out of good options. Of note, I took my written test and have my class B permit. I could also look for someone that has a class b/a or cdl class b/a to come to FL with me and hang out in the passenger seat while I drive it back...but I'd rather get my license, if possible.

Please...you don't need to tell me I'm an idiot. I already know this. If you have suggestions for me, I'm all ears.

Thanks so much,
Rob
33 REPLIES 33

deshemar
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that the vehicle, or at least in VA and TX (places i tested for my CDL for B and then School bus) has to be a type of vehicle that you are testing for. Thus why you have posted this request. I say that because the typical ryder and other rentals are not air brake trucks, however you might be able to find a rental straight truck that does have air brakes. Of course then you will need someone with the proper license to get it to the DMV. Ryder does rent Class 8 trucks so they are probably your best bet. Anybody you know have a dump truck with air brakes?
unfortunately RV-less for now, will be back to the fun in a few years!!!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Are you positive you need this Class of License for a Diesel motorhome that is NOT registered as a Commercial vehicle. I doubt the thousands of Florida or NC motorhome owners have this Class of license. WHO told you that? Most states exclude private registered Motorhomes from the CDL type license. Doug

AndyW
Explorer
Explorer
Well you can rent a straight truck easy enough - www.ryder.com or similar

They might be able to drive the truck to the DMV for you, let you take your test, then drive it back to their lot.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked with local Driver/Trainer places for industrial truck training? Lets face it, a couple of hours of training in their rig and you might learn something, then they might let you use their rig for the exam.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel