cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fridge in but now rusted windshield in 2012

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all the help we had from this site we installed a Samsung RF197 fridge in our Winnebago Adventurer 35P with no problem.
Now we have a leak in our windshield. Took it to the dealer and they say the brackets that hold the windshield are rusted. How does that happen in a less than 2 year old RV. It had to be leaking before we bought it to rust out. It didn't leak inside until this Feb. We had called Winnebago before we bought this unit and asked about windshield leaks we were told "there isn't a problem with windshields ". So the lie goes on!! Anyone else with an Adventurer have leak problems? We will be calling Winnebago after we get our rig back from the dealer. They are taking pictures for us so we will see what happens but I bet they will not do anything.
Steve& Linda Young
Winnebago 2012 Adventurer 35P
12 REPLIES 12

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks mnoeltne I will contact them
Steve& Linda Young

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with Keith. POR15 is the answer.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
Since this is a driveable vehicle and the problem is with the windshield, I would think you could also report the defect to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). http://www.nhtsa.gov/

They are the ones involved in recalls on automobiles.
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

kdk
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is to late for your present windshield problem, but when the, repair is done as said before treat the entire area with POR-15. New metal needs to be treated with a conditioner prior to coating and rusty metal only requires wire bushing to get any loose flakes off. Guaranteed it will never rust again, you can't chip it with a hammer, impervious to water, acids and will never need re-coating as long as it is not in direct sun light but can be painted if desired. Be sure to wear rubber gloves, if you get it on your hands it will take a couple of weeks to wear off, also don't put the lid back on the can with any product around the lid as you will never get the lid back off, ask me how I know. PM me if you have any questions
Blessings; Keith
06 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Ford Explorer twin turbo

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I had to do that fix on mine. Rusted to the point it cracked both windshields. Mine is a 1999 though. You think with todays technological advances they can seal the metal with something that would keep this from starting.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to do everything in our power to report them to every agency we can. The Attorney General in Iowa, the Better Business Bureau and the RVDA. That RBDA has given them the Quailty Circle Award once again. Some quality. If anyone knows of another place to go please let us know. We have copied page after page of posts on several web sites with complaints about Winnebago windshields. One guy with a 2012 Meriden says Winnebago replaced his at the factory because they said "it was too new to rust". I guess my 2012 Adventurer was not a high enough dollar coach to get the same treatment. Anyone with a Winnebago should be concerned over how they are handling this problem. It has existed for years and they have done nothing but say it isn't a problem. All owners need to get together and so something about this. You don't know it your coach will be next. It costs thousands of dollars to fix and some people have done the fix more than once.
Steve& Linda Young

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
slyone wrote:
Well we got the RV back today. Tried talking to Winnebago but they said "rust is not covered even in bumper to bumper warrenty" So your screwed if you have rust on your brand new Winnie. Tommy at Winnebago also told us "you have to inspect the seals on the windshield every year. To do this you must remove the posts on both sides and remove the rubber around the windshield to see the sealant.$$$$ Winnebago is not keeping track of all the windshield problems as per Tommy because there is no need

Are they serious?? Now, who in their right mind is going to do THAT every year?? What a bogus excuse for a poor design. I would've expected more from Winnebago.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
Well we got the RV back today. Tried talking to Winnebago but they said "rust is not covered even in bumper to bumper warrenty" So your screwed if you have rust on your brand new Winnie. Tommy at Winnebago also told us "you have to inspect the seals on the windshield every year. To do this you must remove the posts on both sides and remove the rubber around the windshield to see the sealant.$$$$ Winnebago is not keeping track of all the windshield problems as per Tommy because there is no need
Steve& Linda Young

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
No they didn't remove the windshield. That samsung model with the doors off fit right into our 35P. Got the old one out the same way. Didn't take long at all.
Steve& Linda Young

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did they remove the windshield to bring the Samsung in?....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
Seen a couple of Journeys in for the same windshield service at Camping World last year. Windshields were pulled out so rust could be cleaned out, metal coated and sealed before windshields were reinstalled.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a known issue for years. Had to have my whole lower windshield frame replaced by cutting out rusted metal and welding in new material and grinding and sealing with POR. Cost me 2800 with 2 new windshields as mine were cracked
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie