cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New purchase Sales Tax

Lipets
Explorer
Explorer
What's the current thinking on registering in a tax free or low tax rate state.

I'm looking over $10K in tax. (10,000)

Is it of those things that are done all the time?

Are there certain states that welcome the income for registering in their state?
Newmar 3933
57 REPLIES 57

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I am in a relatively high tax state. It is not as bad as many, but I do still have friends, family and acquaintances that live in those states. I have heard first hand of the NYS tax cops, the Massataxus money police and the stories go on.

If you think you are going to keep some of your money and you have anything like a residence in one of those states, you are mistaken. If you don't like it, move. I don't know if you ever heard of Rush Limbaugh, but he is kind of famous in NY tax circles. He once owned an apartment in NYC. He kept it for convenience, and he paid NY income tax for the time he was there (he had to have lawyers show up before the tax board every year with documents as to why he was only a partial year resident). But, when NY instituted a special tax on everybody with over a 1mill annual income be they full year resident or not, he sold it off and still got dunning notices from NYS. So, now they get nothing from him at all. (This also was the case with 40+ other millionaires. The state is now collecting less than before the special assessment. - Don't you love it??)

We were going to move out of state, but things changed, first they beat up the CRA to juggle the real estate market so our house in now worth less than when we bought it over two decades ago and then the bankruptcy laws were abrogated so it could be fleeced of twenty plus years of savings. Now we are stuck here, but they have nothing more than they can tax. Better than that, I now have the coach on a historic registration - no annual renewal ever (as long as I own it). Ok, I can only drive it for events, shows, and maintenance (except August is open season), but - you know - there are events somewhere in the country(ies) every week of the year and nobody ever said we had to take the shortest route.

Sometimes things do work out OK.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
These are "great" reasons to be "from" NY. A long way "away" from it. :S

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:

They are very sneaky!!!

Funny, that's what they probably say about us! LOL

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Does any one know exactly how those that got caught at this were caught???? I have said this on here before---I have 3 homes in 3 different states and everything is registered in the state most friendly to me....If I changed drivers license & registration every time I was at any of the 3 over 30 days I would go broke. On the other hand I have never been questioned in over 30 years.

In my case it was over a year before I got a letter followed shortly by a phone call from the loval "revenuer"

He was a very friendly guy, and we had several conversations over a couple months. He told me what to do, how to work the system, how to delay payment every possible day without earning extra penalties, how to appeal the late fee's, etc.... very nice guy. his job is to convince people to pay up and not fight it and he did that.

I bought the bus from a dealer in florida. Had to let them copy my drivers license, and had to let them get me a temp florida tag to drive out of state. They talk to eachother across state lines.
Florida was faxing copies of the paperwork to the state of my d/l before the temp tags were screwed onto the RV.

They surf these forums. When i started asking just this question here and on irv2, they were "in the room" with us. He knew my user names!

He knew I'd had service done at the local cummins dealer the past month, and he knew where I stored the rig.

They are very sneaky!!! Just a couple years back there was a article in the Buffalo Evening News about NYS Tax Revenue Agents (Tax Cops) being in the Mill Creek Mall parking lot, Erie, Pennsylvania. Driving around and writing down and taking pics of license plate number from NYS tagged cars. They watch you carrying bags out of the mall. If you are a NYS resident, you are required to pay tax on the goods you purchase out of state. Having seen you carrying the bags, they can get a warrant to access your credit card account, and they audit it. Then they send you a appearance notice for a personal tax audit. And I'm sure that other states also do this too!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Does any one know exactly how those that got caught at this were caught???? I have said this on here before---I have 3 homes in 3 different states and everything is registered in the state most friendly to me....If I changed drivers license & registration every time I was at any of the 3 over 30 days I would go broke. On the other hand I have never been questioned in over 30 years.

In my case it was over a year before I got a letter followed shortly by a phone call from the loval "revenuer"

He was a very friendly guy, and we had several conversations over a couple months. He told me what to do, how to work the system, how to delay payment every possible day without earning extra penalties, how to appeal the late fee's, etc.... very nice guy. his job is to convince people to pay up and not fight it and he did that.

I bought the bus from a dealer in florida. Had to let them copy my drivers license, and had to let them get me a temp florida tag to drive out of state. They talk to eachother across state lines.
Florida was faxing copies of the paperwork to the state of my d/l before the temp tags were screwed onto the RV.

They surf these forums. When i started asking just this question here and on irv2, they were "in the room" with us. He knew my user names!

He knew I'd had service done at the local cummins dealer the past month, and he knew where I stored the rig.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
Yes, paying that much tax sucks. So does enjoying the public services provided by your government and doing whatever you can to not pay for them. Whether your tax money is being spent well of course is another thing.

Plus, the risk of penalties and unexpected tax bill when they catch you may not be worth it.

THAT is the whole point!
If you KNOW the applicable laws, and COMPLY with the applicable laws, and DOCUMENT your compliance with the laws, there will be nothing for THEM to "catch" you doing, no penalties nor unexpected tax bills, because everything you have done is LEGAL according to THEIR laws!
It really IS just that simple!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
The funny thing is that people are dying every day trying to get here so that they have the rights to pay our taxes!

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
I know if I were going to "move" out of state I would probably not say anything in a public forum......
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing how the tone of these types of threads has changed over the last 5 years.

Anyone also remember all the people constantly upgrading their RV's?
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, paying that much tax sucks. So does enjoying the public services provided by your government and doing whatever you can to not pay for them. Whether your tax money is being spent well of course is another thing.

Plus, the risk of penalties and unexpected tax bill when they catch you may not be worth it.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

fltrker
Explorer
Explorer
Trust me, when commercial truck and trailer plates are purchased they are done so in order to avoid higher taxes.
That truck or trailer does not have to ever travel in that state of registration.
Maine and Oklahoma trl plates are
Advantageous to own.
Such as an IL. IFTA plate is less than one from IN.
Some trucking companies in FL. Buy only IL plates. Because of tax laws.
When it comes to com. For hire trucks , they pay many various taxes - sales tax is not one of those. Except at the pumps. Which is a deduction.
I don't have a dog in this fight but have noticed that people with opinions about tax avoidance or evasion fall into 3 categories.
Those that have been able to take advantage of the opportunity. (Usually self employed business owners).
Those that paid and were not aware of or able to use service. (Employees)
Those that work for the government in some form, (police, Forrest ranger, teacher, social services, DNR. Etc)
The reasons are obvious and there are always exceptions to the rule.
JMHO

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
And what does that have to do with their registration fees and taxes? I see 30 trailers in a lot that never leave the state they are parked in and all have Maine tags.

BobGed is right on. And interstate trucking company are incorporated, and can be incorporated in many states, not just one. And when there is the Commerce Clause in the U.S. Constitution which limits the states control over interstate transportation. And in many states, a trucking company does not have to pay sales tax on Class 8 tractors and trailers involved in interstate transportation. But don't worry, cause the trucking companies have to pay tax for every loaded and empty mile they travel on highways in each state.

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
And what does that have to do with their registration fees and taxes? I see 30 trailers in a lot that never leave the state they are parked in and all have Maine tags.

I assume you're replying to my post. It gets complicated, and I've been away from it for a long time, but I believe as long as a company does 80% or more of interstate commerce with their commercial trailers, they are able to get a Maine commercial trailer registration for as little as $20 a year per trailer with no annual inspections, and the ability to license or renew for multiple years in advance.

The tractor that pulls the trailers needs to have what they call Apportioned (Prorate) Plates in each state they operate in. They pay a registration fee for each of those states, and then have to pay either monthly, quarterly or yearly prorated taxes based on the miles driven in each state.

Like I said it's been a long time since I was involved with all of this, so if there are any retired owner operators here, please correct anything I may have misstated regarding the apportioned plates and fee assessments.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, go ahead and try to circumvent the system. When you go to use a state park campground in your state, and it is in horrible condition or even closed, you lost your right to complain.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.