cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tires

Sensorone_2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Georgie Boy and it's time to get new 19.5" tires (I know, WOOT!!!) Anyhow, I'm going for Michelins on all 6 but was wondering if I should step the price down for a slightly lower priced tire when it comes to the spare (the 7th). I really don't want to spend around $500.00 for a tire that I "Might" not use and the question I'm asking is would this be a safe thing (Safety is my concern here) in the event I did have a blow out and have to use a different brand type tire? I would only use it long enough to get a replacement.

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would keep the best of the old tires as a spare.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
Hankook by all means. Replaced 6 MH tires and put 4 new Hankook tires on the
toad. Much better ride than the original Goodyear.

Sensorone_2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in Ventura County California. I'm getting mine through Big Brand Tire Company who have never done me wrong.

Check out Hankooks website to see who has them near you. Here's the web address:

http://www.hankooktire.com/us

bradc344
Explorer
Explorer
were did you find them, and did they sit installation?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Sensorone_2 wrote:
The Hanook AH-11 tires are now 16 ply vice 14 ply (Model number hasn't changed). Going for about $260.00 each. I have 7 on order

And yet another Michelin disciple, goes awry!
And for good, reason, I might add, but even with Hankooks, you have to spend a little for the name. Not for 50% of the tire's price, however.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have BF Goodrich on front, really smooth. Cooper on back, no problem.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Sensorone_2
Explorer
Explorer
The Hanook AH-11 tires are now 16 ply vice 14 ply (Model number hasn't changed). Going for about $260.00 each. I have 7 on order

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get the spare. Out on the interstate with a flat makes it seem cheap.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Sensorone_2 wrote:
Great feedback from all. I never heard of Hankooks until now and as I dug a bit deeper into their reviews it appears all of you advice may have saved me a few pesos. Thanks to all who responded. Mike, thanks for clarifying the differences between the AH-11 and 12.

I just found out that the AH-11 has been discontinued for a better 16 Ply tire. The AH-11 is/was a 14 Ply. Cost difference is minimal. The newer type isn't posted at the Hankook Website but as soon as I find out it's "Number" I will post it here with the price. My Georgie Boy is using 745x70Rx19.5 tires also. The AH-12 did NOT have tires in that size.

745/70/19.5 is going to be hard to find. A 245/70/19.5 would be much easier. :B
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I run Uniroyal on the drive axle and Hankooks on the front.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Sensorone_2
Explorer
Explorer
Great feedback from all. I never heard of Hankooks until now and as I dug a bit deeper into their reviews it appears all of you advice may have saved me a few pesos. Thanks to all who responded. Mike, thanks for clarifying the differences between the AH-11 and 12.

I just found out that the AH-11 has been discontinued for a better 16 Ply tire. The AH-11 is/was a 14 Ply. Cost difference is minimal. The newer type isn't posted at the Hankook Website but as soon as I find out it's "Number" I will post it here with the price. My Georgie Boy is using 745x70Rx19.5 tires also. The AH-12 did NOT have tires in that size.

Berner2
Explorer
Explorer
PM sent

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
AH 11 has more aggressive tread as in all season the AH 12 highway tire.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Sensorone_2
Explorer
Explorer
I'll check on the Hankooks. The tires I have on now arfe at least 7 years old. Not sure how old the spare is since I bought the motorhome used. I just want to make sure everything is safe since I'm under the impression that Motorhome tire should be replaced about every 6-7 years under normal conditions.
What's the difference between the AH-11 and AH-12? I've got 245x70x19.5 tires