cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tires

Sensorone_2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Georgie Boy and it's time to get new 19.5" tires (I know, WOOT!!!) Anyhow, I'm going for Michelins on all 6 but was wondering if I should step the price down for a slightly lower priced tire when it comes to the spare (the 7th). I really don't want to spend around $500.00 for a tire that I "Might" not use and the question I'm asking is would this be a safe thing (Safety is my concern here) in the event I did have a blow out and have to use a different brand type tire? I would only use it long enough to get a replacement.

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
I run 6 Hercules.

They are 2 years old and run smooth with no issues to date. Just got back from a 4000 mile trip in April which included extreme Florida heat, extreme Canadian cold, rain and even some snow. A few 10 hour days. No complaints whatsoever.

Cost was around $250.00 each installed and balanced. I got to keep a lot of my money in my pocket compared to brand name tires.
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
two travelers wrote:
We replaced the Goodyear with Hankook's. Much better ride and less $$.

Ditto
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
X2 on Hankook. They're excellent tires.

I'm running four Hankooks and have no complaints. Also four Hercules that have served me well and for much longer than the Kookies. All genuine Chinese made, like all will most likely be, one day soon and with the Korean brand Hankooks, you only pay a little for the name and not so bad, considering how good their reputation is. With the Hercules, you only pay for the tire and again, don't see a difference in the quality, with going back and forth across country and up and down the coast.
As for the OP's question about a spare, any old used one will do for getting to a tire shop. I'd never buy new for a spare, unless I was going to be rotating and that's really doubtful. I have a mounted junk GY, which was a takeoff from the last time and hopefully will never have to use it.
Now let's assume that I would lose a steer tire after a few years. In this case, I would just buy two replacements and use one of them for upgrading my spare, like last time I changed tires.
I'm also done with RV tires and will replace with truck tires, here on in, like most brands are, anyway.
Just my 2 cents that just may be worth a lot more than that....lol
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
On spending the extra money on the new spare, it's just up to you to price in the "hassle" factor. If you get a flat, and let's say it's the inside dual, do you want to go through the hassle of changing the tire again to take the spare tire off and put the repaired tire back on? And would you feel safe driving on the old spare until the other tire is repaired?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
X3 get seven Hankooks
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Hankook. They're excellent tires.

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the Goodyear with Hankook's. Much better ride and less $$.