cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Class A are lots of steering corrections normal?

Welfarewagon
Explorer
Explorer
Just moved up to a Class A diesel from a fifth wheel my question is since I have never driven any other motor home is a lot if steering correction needed while driving or could I have a loose or worn tie end rod or steering part? I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40DP with 90k miles.
I know I'm driving a 40,000 lb house down the road I just want to know If this or normal or should I be concerned
2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
16 REPLIES 16

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
Some good suggestions here.
Tire pressure, looking farther down the road, alignment all good.

Be sure when checking alignment to do rear axle alignment as well. A small amount of out of adjustment of the trailing arms will cause the chassis to be bias one way or the other, resulting in a correction. This was the experience I had with my bus.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
My old endeavor was like that . It had a straight axle in the front and that was the way they were for steering. Our new coach has independent front suspension and drives like car
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
RoadMaster chassis' are noted for this issue. Review the two related threads shown at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/monaco-technical-information-249622.html

I and many others have done these modifications and are very pleased with the results.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

MikeDavies
Explorer
Explorer
Some good suggestions here on what to check.

Our 2004 Mirada did the same, the front end would "hunt".
It has the pneumatic pads on the rear axle.
We put in 80 lbs air pressure in the pads.
That totally changed the way it drove.
It seems throwing just a bit more weight on the
front end did the trick for us.
Mike

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I'll add another possibility for you. Maybe it's you.

When I went from pulling a trailer to our first Class A, that dam thing was all over the road. After complaining on this forum, It was pointed out to me that with that huge windshield right in front of me, I was looking at the road much closer than I would be when driving my truck. I was instructed to look much farther down the road, maybe two or three cars ahead of me. Sure enough, that was the problem. Once I started doing that, the coach would track straight and true. If i took my eyes off of the distance, the coach would start wandering again.

This is just something that you will get use to after driving it some more. Be patient, it'll come to you.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
RV's are kind of like boats, put to much in and you get to much out. If you just let it do it's thing a little more you don't find yourself fighting it as much.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We came from a 5er and I was impressed with how well the Class A tracks. As expected though, wind can push you around a bit, and high wind can tire you.

Agree with others - have it checked at a reliable service center.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
There are alignment shops and there are almost alignment shops. Most want to get it close to specs., which in many cases is not good enough. Lots of alignment equipment out there but darn few really good alignment personal. When you pay for an alignment and it don't drive well, you went to the wrong place. Precision Alignment in MN. and Henderson's Line-up in Grants Pass, OR. are two of the best.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many possible causes for this. Start with making sure your tires are inflated to the proper pressure for the load on them. Have the steering alignment checked. Also check the suspension components. I took the easy way out when I had that problem and just installed a steering stabilizer which in my case was like going from night to day in steering handling. Many Class A motor homes have so much hanging out behind the rear axel that good steering can be difficult to obtain.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too little info. Was it windy? RV's are sails.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the engine shut off how much free play is there in the steering wheel? If it's more than a half inch this could be your problem. Unfortunately Monaco did not use the TRW steering gearbox in all of their motorhomes... you can adjust the free play out of the TRW but not the other manufacture. If the Pitman arm has a large boat on the circumference holding it on the splined shaft of the gearbox it's a TRW. On the side is a jam nut and adjusting screw that will take the excessive free play out of it.

Assuming the tow in is correct and you have less than a half inch of free play then the problem may be the nut behind the steering wheel not giving steering inputs long enough to take affect... much the same as oversteering a boat that is slow to take steering inputs. You have to give smaller inputs longer to take affect or you'll be chasing the motorhome and all over the highway. On a good highway with no wind see if you can keep it between the lines by cutting your steering movements in half. With practice you can anticipate what you need to do... going under a bridge when you have a crosswind.

*I have 80,000 miles on my Monaco and it's a pleasure to drive. Other than adjusting the gearbox early on, the rest of my front end is stock and other than checking the toe end myself it has never been aligned since leaving the factory. If your tires are wearing evenly with 20,000 miles on them there is no reason to do an alignment.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Welfarewagon wrote:
Just moved up to a Class A diesel from a fifth wheel my question is since I have never driven any other motor home is a lot if steering correction needed while driving or could I have a loose or worn tie end rod or steering part? I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40DP with 90k miles.
I know I'm driving a 40,000 lb house down the road I just want to know If this or normal or should I be concerned

IMHO, no matter how old or how many miles - if it feels like it needs and Alignment - then it probably does.

No vehicle that you drive down the road should be work.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
The answer is it depends. No wind on a good road it should track down the road just fine. Mine does with no more corrections than driving a car. But add some wind or some steep crest to the road, and yeah it takes an effort to keep it in the land. I just drove to Reno and back this weekend and we had some heavy winds here in California and there were places where I was fighting it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Bruce_Brown
It may be a case of just needing to get used to how a MH drives vs driving a pickup. With a MH try "guiding" it more than "driving" it.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910