cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new to class c

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a well used class c lazy daze. last owner had it sitting in a storage yard for several years, so it's got a few issues. I've had a travel trailer for several years, so I know the basics of rv and camping, but there are some differences. Never had a generator before, and this one seems to run the starter but doesn't turn over the motor. I'm presented with a big green plate in the generator compartment and it looks pretty complicated to extract from the frame. Is there any where I can find graphics/diagrams on how this thing is put together so I can see if it's just a bad starter?
Another thing I'm confused about is this small 6x6x8 box mounted next to the differential. on the bottom of it is some sort of fitting with a cord attached to it and the other end of the cord on the side of the rv. I have no clue what this thing is.
As I said it's been sitting for a while and has a bunch of minor things that need working on. would be nice to have the main cabin door electrically lock along with the van doors, has anyone done this?
Needs tires and brakes before I take it anywhere, but looking forward to taking it out to play. Digging through electronics websites for updates, the thing still has a cassette player and analog tv antenna in it. wifi and cell phone boosters are sitting in a box in my office, trying to decide between the windgard and the king portable sat dishes and where the best place to mount them would be.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
20 REPLIES 20

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand your need for remote actuating doors. I would not trust any electro-mechanically operated door lock/opening system unless I could unlock manually with a key as an alternative.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the reply. the generator is a onan model bge-fa/26100p. it may be the house batteries that are low. I had it on the charger for several hours then hooked up to the shore power over night. rv is parked for a tailgate party this evening, so I don't have access to it for a while. I'll try pulling the battery leads cleaning them, assuming I can get a wrench on them, it's pretty tight in there. any idea how many amps it takes to start the thing? I've got a 50amp charger/starter that could be hooked up directly if that might work.

I already know the brakes and tires need replacement. researching on what to put on there and who can do it. my normal auto place doesn't have facilities to jack up an rv. I'll have them check the brake lines. pre purchase inspection showed brake fluid flush is needed, but since the rotors are trashed, I think that's a given anyways.

not having remote actuating doors is driving me nuts. I was looking at these if anyone has tried them http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zPlatform.aspx?platformid=282&categoryid=89
supposedly they can be electrically activated.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If your tires are older than 5 years old by imprinted date codes, they should be inspected for side-wall cracks and probably need replacement for safety, your safety and the underside tanks, wiring and propane lines of your rig.
The house and starting battery(s) probably need replacing from sitting discharged. Brakes and engine cooling system need service/repairs for safety and reliability. Your entire 12 volt dc and 110volt ac system need checking including operation of your converter charger and fresh water pump/plumbing including all faucets. Try starting generator with a good fully charged house battery and use the start switch on the generator itself. Sounds like the generator starter mechanism is stuck and increased voltage might unstick it.
There is a way to turn over the generator manually to free it for starting but I forget how. Make sure the generator oil level is ok. I would not attempt to drop and remove the generator myself and would pay the big bucks to have the generator serviced/repaired as needed. Removal for diagnosis and repair costs over $300 alone.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
photobug wrote:
Just picked up a well used class c lazy daze. last owner had it

sitting in a storage yard for several years

, so it's got a few issues. ...

When an RV or any vehicle sits for any length of time the braking system and exhaust takes the biggest hit from rust.

Replace the brakes AND Replace both of the front rubber brake lines and have the brake calipers checked out thoroughly before hitting the road.

Important to replace the front brake lines because they will look just fine on the outside but they collapse on the inside leaving you with no brakes. Don't ask me how I know that. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Consider joining the Lazy Daze Owners Forum, lazydazeowners.com and posting your questions in the Technical Forum. Be prepared to provide details on the year, model, and floor plan of your LD.

If you can't get an answer there (unlikely), call the factory 909-627-1219.

Good Luck

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What generator model is it? Very common is the Onan KY ("KY" is in the model number; the name on the outside has changed once or twice, but MicroQuiet 4000 is one of them). On this generator, the side of the green outer case of the generator proper comes off with a couple of cams to give access to many bits of the generator. Unfortunately, this does not include the starter, which requires removal of the outer shell to get at (and hence removing the generator from the RV in most cases).

At least in my motorhome, the generator is mounted to a sub-frame with a couple bolts at each corner. Dropping it is conceptually pretty straightforward: disconnect the wires and fuel line, hold it up with a floor jack or whatever, remove the bolts, and lower the jack. I'd suggest checking the clearance underneath with a tape measure first as it may be necessary to park the RV on ramps or otherwise block it up to have enough clearance under the skirting to pull the generator out.

Before going through all that work, I'd suggest verifying that the 12V power and ground connections are all good and tight and that there is sufficient voltage when it's cranking. A poor connection (causing inadequate voltage) will prevent cranking.

The box by the differential sounds to me like it may be a spare tire carrier. If it is, there should be some sort of a crank connection (often with a bolt head like end under some sort of a cover) that will raise and lower the cable.

I haven't heard of anybody attaching power locks to the entry door. I'm not sure how well it would work with the typical RV door latches; certainly they aren't designed with that feature in mind.

I hope you do realize that an analog TV antenna is the same as a digital TV antenna. The frequency ranges used for TV broadcasts have not changed. You just need a digital tuner to receive the digital broadcasts. (At the RF level, all the signals are analog, after all.)