cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Noisy roof AC

Craig95005
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 37' 2012 Thor Challenger with two roof air conditioner units. They are awfully loud, especially the front one, which often has a bit of mechanical noise along with the air noise. Any suggestions on quieting them down? Are current roof AC's much quieter? Or is it just inevitable?
Craig
5 REPLIES 5

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if you have mud daubers in California but they can screw up an AC. There is usually a vibration with the dauber nest on the fan blade or fan shaft.
Easy to find and remove.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Get up on the roof and take the cover off. There are some baffles in there that can have loose screws etc. Also a popular place for birds to make a nest.

My rear Dometic was noisy until I changed the gasket, then it quieted down. I expect the old gasket allowed the mounting bolts to loosen. Do not over tighten the mounting bolts or you'll have a leak. They take something like 40 INCH lbs of torque.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
check it to see if the mounting bolts are tight. Will be loud if not
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to quiet my AC considerably by removing the cover and insulating it with foam around the edges and between the input and exit of the air. Be very careful to not block any airflow. I discovered that a lot of air was traveling straight from output to the input because the separation was not sufficient. After making sure the separation was better I had a better output from my duct work..
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I just recently had the original 2001 noisy pain in the butt front dometic unit changed out in our DP. We bought the RV 5 years ago but the front a/c had a loud irritating noise. It cooled well so let it go. The compressor finally quit so it had to be changed. The irritating noise is now gone but it is still loud running.Just the way it is. Mine is a ducted unit.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992