cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OBD Port F53

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am trying to find the OBD port in our 2018 F53 chassis. It searching multiple RV forums, most people say it's on the right side of the steering column but I have yet to find it. Does anyone have any clues to where it might be located? I have a scanner gauge and software for my iPhone that I'd like to use.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
11 REPLIES 11

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the advice. I am planning on going over to the storage garage today and will bring the Advil!
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford F53/F59 body builders manual says the final manufacturer should use the coiled extra cable supplied to extend the OBD port to a more convenient location, but not many do it. I moved mine to the lower steering column cover.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Why the OBD port isn't painted in florescent pink paint is beyond me.

As for my 2016 F53 it is on the left right between the steering column and the brake release handle.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
They may have a plastic cover over them or even a faux leather "Jacket" around the column.. Might also be on the other side or under the dash NEAR the column.

You really need to know what to look for (look at the business end of the scanner or if you have it an extension cable) Then it's easier to find.

The body builder (RV builder) might have moved it.. but not far.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
May still have protective cover over connector port. is fairly high

Exactly why I struggled to find mine on my last MH. Had a black plastic cover over the port, which combined with the contortionist pose and dim lighting made it difficult to find. After wedging my wide frame (I’m being gentle on myself) between the driver’s seat and doghouse, lying on my back, shining a flashlight up under the dash while using the other hand to feel around, I eventually gave up and consulted YouTube where I found a video showing that dadgum cover that needed to be removed. Wedged myself back in and bingo, pay dirt. Only by then I’d forgotten why I wanted to find the port in the first place.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

I have now taken to putting a stand up directable flashlight on the floor and using a mirror to find stuff.
Last time I got under the dash I nearly had to be surgically removed....

Love the Advil idea! :B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Y-Guy wrote:
Best way to find it is to take a good dose of Advil....

I loved this advice. I, too, have reached the point in life where taking a "dose of (insert favorite pain reliever here)" is the first step of many things I now do around the house and the vehicles. LOL

GREAT ADVICE!!!! 🙂

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Y-Guy
Mine was equally hidden away, along with the trailer break wiring. Best way to find it is to take a good dose of Advil, then push the driver seat as far back as it will go, the steering wheel all the way up, then lay on your back between the seat and the dog house (hence the Advil) and look around with a flashlight. As already shared, it should be near the steering column, but it tends to move around on either side.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mounted on right side of steering column. May still have protective cover over connector port. is fairly high

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
mine is under the dash on the right of the steering column. Aside from reading the engine status codes, I used the port to upchip the engine using 5-star tuning.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It will be by the steering column. You need to look up under the dash and look on the left side of the column.