cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil and fuel additives

bretttennar
Explorer
Explorer
What are the reasons you would use or not use fuel and oil additives. I just purchased a motorhome and want to take care of it. Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I use fuel stabilizer as this new blend ethenol has a shelf life of nothing. Cheaper than repairs. I also use, with amazing results, a product called "Sea Foam" in gunked up carbs. The stuff is amazing and does all it claims
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
With a diesel, there are two times you want/need an additive:

If storing the fuel over 2 months in the summer or 3 months in the winter, add a BIOCIDE to keep algae from growing. Biobar JF is a common one.

If you fill up in summer or fall and will be keeping the fuel into winter (with below freezing conditions) add an anti-gel. PS brand is stocked in most Walmarts. If filling in winter, the fuel already has been formulated so it will not gel.

Also, be sure to store your diesel tank FULL to minimize condensation.

Others can probably advise on "care and feeding" of your DEF.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
lets see oil already has a bunch in it,, fuel has even more hardly any gas in it. nope don,t need more. most is just snake oil . like a air filter will get you 5mpg more.ain,t gonna happen.

bretttennar
Explorer
Explorer
2016 38ft 36k miles diesel. Thanks this is my first forum

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You really need to give us more information for us to be of assistance.

Advise on diesel fuel additives are of little value if you have a gas coach.

Gas or diesel

Age/miles on it
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bretttennar
Explorer
Explorer
There are alot (additives) on the market do you just feel they are not needed?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not use any oil additives. Just use a good grade of oil as recommended by the manufacturer.
The only fuel additive I would use would be a fuel stabilizer in a full tank of fuel if I was going to let the coach sit for a period of time. Before doing that I would run the stabilized fuel through the generator to make sure that it is protected as well.
Some people like to use an injection cleaner fuel additive but I have never felt the need.