cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil in propane regulator?

marc515
Explorer
Explorer
Our Nation is only a year old, and I just had to replace the propane regulator. When I disconnected the lines there was a lot of oil in the line coming out of the regulator.

Have any of you guys experienced this?

What can be done to prevent the oil from killing another regulator?

Have any of you guys added some type of oil separator?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Best Regards,....marc & joan
6 REPLIES 6

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
Oil does come in with the propane, some say it's a by product of refining or it's lubrication of the handling equipment. I recently had to replace the fuel valve and fuel filter on my propane generator, both clogged with this residue. (15 years old)

I also replaced the regulator, it was leaking, both propane and oil.
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Oil in the propane. I found a little in our propane hose, but never enough to kill the two stage regulator. 9 1/2 years and still working.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The filter has standard threaded fittings, one male, one female. The male end of the filter screws into any female connection that accepts a standard male fitting,such as the regulator.

The male fitting of a propane hose is then screwed into the female end of the filter.

4 years and no problem with the regulator.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Yes I have had that problem with it and I was told that it is normal now to have some oil in the propane lines,and to use THIS

Some say it is the propane and others say it is from the line.

So I assume that this goes between the tank and the regulator? How long is it lasting in your application?
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, same problem on our current RV, except after 2.5 years, I'm on my 4th regulator.
The first was the excess oil problem. Second & third were just blown somehow not oil related. However I think the tank gauge on our tank is off. So now I'm not filling it more than 3/4 full, and that seems to be the trick so far. As far as the oil issue, a good supplier can direct you to someplace that can clean out your tank. I didn't do that, and so far all is well as far as the oil is concerned
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I have had that problem with it and I was told that it is normal now to have some oil in the propane lines,and to use THIS

Some say it is the propane and others say it is from the line.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C