cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil stick problem - need help

becker
Explorer
Explorer
My coach is a Monaco Dynasty 2008 with a Cummins 450 diesel.... when I check the oil to see if it needs any, etc., I can't it the dipstick to go all the way back in..... it lacks about an inch from going in all the way to where it should go in (I hope I am communicating properly.... I jiggle it (this last time) for about 20 minutes and the dipstick will not go in all of the way..... in the past when it will not go in all of the way, I jiggle it for about 5 minutes and then it goes in all of the way..... it feels like it is hitting something in the interior of the motor..... has anyone had this same problem and how did you remedy it.... I need help.

Thanks

Becker
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System
12 REPLIES 12

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
As someone has already stated, It could be hitting the engine block due to the tube not seated all the way into the block.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what the tip of your current dipstick looks like. I've made insertion easier by filing down the tip so that the pointed or blunt end has more of a tapered point on it than what came from the factory. Obviously you don't want to damage/change what ever indicator(s) are at the tip or change the overall length. Trial and error is the only way to know when it's right. IMO, something is hanging the stick up on the way in.

Chum lee

tiffy2000
Explorer
Explorer
see if you can find a borescope camera small enough to go down the dip stick tube so you can see what it is hitting , This one is about 5/16 inch

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Waterproof-Inspection-Megapixels-Smartphone/dp/B01MYTHWK4/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=small+camera&qid=1571065835&sr=8-7

becker
Explorer
Explorer
A) Thank you for all of your suggestions and interest.... I really appreciate it.
B) I tried pulling out the dipstick and putting a small twist in the bottom of the dipstick (it already had a twist in it.... I don't know if that was a factory "twist" or someone else put it in there). The small twist I put in the tip of the dipstick did not work.... I tried turning the dipstick as I put it in and also "giggling" it once I had it in but to no avail. It still feels like it is bumping up against something solid.
C) I think I will trying call Cummins factory and explain and ask for their advice.... and also calling two or three Cummins factory service centers to see if they have encountered this situation.
D) The dipstick is 58 and 1/2 inches long..... I'm wondering if it would help if I ordered a new one and tried that approach.
E) It has been suggested that we drop the "oil pan" to find out if we can see any obstruction.
F) I really don't know what to do.... I would appreciate everyone's opinion on what I have described above..... as I just said, I really don't know where to go from here.
Thanks....
Becker
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
bjbear wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
On long Dipsticks, you can sometimes take a pair of pliers and put a small twist at the end in the first inch and that will slip past where the outer tube goes into the engine block. Doug

Have the same problem. I have to turn the dipstick as I push it in to get it to go all the way. I'll try putting a twist on the end. How much of a twist do you need?

Just a slight twist. Doug

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
On long Dipsticks, you can sometimes take a pair of pliers and put a small twist at the end in the first inch and that will slip past where the outer tube goes into the engine block. Doug

Have the same problem. I have to turn the dipstick as I push it in to get it to go all the way. I'll try putting a twist on the end. How much of a twist do you need?
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 2007 Dynasty with the 450 in it and somewhere along the line something was done to it that caused the rubber at the top of the dipstick to be bigger than the hole in the tube and somewhere along the line they notched the dipstick so they could tell when it was full with the dipstick not all the way in. I discovered this in Houston on a cross country trip because it was blowing oil out the tube. Got it fixed locally with a new dipstick and problem was solved. Sold that thing around 2009.

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
good advice Doug some of the old cob over trucks had a dipstick about 5 ft. long and that usually worked for that problem

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands is out of line again!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
has the cap on the dip stick come loose and you have bottom out the stick in the engine.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem. I have to pull it out and turn it slightly, often repeatedly, until it โ€œseatsโ€ properly. Gee, I hope this post gets past the censors.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"