cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Motorhome

Vach
Explorer
Explorer
The joys of owning an older motorhome. I have a 2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A on a E450 Ford. This trip has been interesting. The morning of a our departure we had to have our fully loaded vehicle towed out of our driveway to have a new starter installed for the motor. Then within a week we repaired the refrigerator (new card) and the generator (new fuel pump). $1,500 later I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed.

Everything has been pretty reliable before, except for some fairly minor repairs and routine maintenance. Those of you who have been here before, is this the beginning of the end, or just and inconvenient blip? Should I expect occasional issues or the start of a driving money pit? I don't mind occasional issues and would have changed the starter myself if it wasn't 15 degrees and snowing. We really like our Aspect, it's pretty unique and fits us just right. We are planning another trip to Alaska this summer. Just trying to figure out what my future might look like so I can better prepare.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Lance 1475 Travel Trailer
2019 Toyota Tacoma
27 REPLIES 27

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Our camping vehicle before the MH was a 1992 GM 2500 van pulling a pop up. The first thing was the starting motor, which failed in a parking lot 3 blocks from home. I managed to replace it myself right where it was parked. At about age 20, we lost the heater core while camping in Jasper Park. We limped to Rocky Mountain House where we found a nice little garage recommended by Canadian Tire. They couldn’t fix it for two weeks and the estimat was $700. I asked if they could patch it up so we could drive home. They did - just connecting the input hose to the output hose. I managed to replace the heater core myself with some advice from friends. The next year the alternator and water pump failed. The mechanic friend replaced them for me. No problems since then except routine brake work.

Our 2004 class C purchased in 2008 has not seen a garage so far. I only recall replacing the engine thermostat and belts. Also a broken house drain pipe elbow and some roof leaks.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
Owning an older RV can be a lot of work. We have a 1977 roll-a-long 26 foot motor home that we bought 2 years ago, that I ended up replacing all the walls and the roof, new awning, the first year we had it the only major problem we had was I had to rebuild the carb, the previous owner had replaced all the tires, new batterys, and the ac unit. our last trip last fall the furnace quit working, repaired the ignitor circuit, then the fan relay went bad, but its working again.. we will see how the next season goes I guess

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO using a power management unit that protects us from low voltage,pedestal issues and surges has prevented untold number of repairs. Example we were camping with a group and our unit kept shutting off due to low voltage when mentioned to a member in our group he stated that the unit shutting off the power was to much of a inconvenience. Found out later in the following 6 months he replaced the TV, microwave, A.C., board on the refrigerator, and the converter.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 Tioga 26Q, bought new in 2003, had to replace roof AC unit, fridge, fresh water pump , awning fabric and minor stuff after about ten years. I think there is a spike in major item replacements at about the ten year point. Of course you'll need to replace tires every 5-6 years. After that, a well maintained rig shouldn't need big dollar fixes for another ten years, your experience may be different. T'would be interesting to see cost comparisons on trading up for a new rig every 8-10 years vs keeping a rig repaired for 20 years. Many wouldn't want to keep a rig for 20 years unless they had indoor storage facilities to keep it looking newish.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Those of you who have been here before, is this the beginning of the end, or just and inconvenient blip? Should I expect occasional issues or the start of driving a money pit?"

Please don't shoot the messenger. I own a 1999 Class A F53 in which I full time. Not a week goes by that I don't face some type of maintenance/repair issue. I've been there before, I'm there now, and, I expect to be there in the future.

You own a complex vehicle. It has everything a house has, everything a truck has, the interface between the two, and the mobile interface (utilities) with the ground. Motorhomes require maintenance and they break/wear out. That's reality. When (not if) things happen, I try to repair them (upgrade) so that they rarely happen again, if possible.

You can either pay for it indirectly through depreciation in a newer motorhome, or, pay for it directly through maintenance/repairs in an aging RV, or buy an extended warranty(not recommended). Or, you can rent a motorhome, drop it off when you're done, and, avoid the issue.

Chum lee

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Owning an older motorhome, like our 2006 Jayco Greyhawk, means more money spent on maintenance. As someone else mentioned, after 10 years the costs do start to climb. In the past couple of years we have replaced all the hoses and belts on the engine as well as installed new tires (the 3rd set, 2nd replacement). In the past year we have replaced the roof A/C and the refrigerator. All in all, we've spent just shy of $5,000 on the motorhome in the past 18 months.

There will be additional costs over the next few years but we don't expect to spend nearly as much as we have in the recent past. And of course, this money spent is small in comparison to the cost of a new motorhome!
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2011. I figure I can fix everything in it for less than a new rig would have been. I doubt I'll spend 10% of that.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We purchased our 1993 new in that year. It had items for the 1994 run.
We have maintained it and it is good for some time longer.
Yes, I have looked at newer rigs, but find quality and layouts have changed.
Each person will have good things to say and others will say bad things about the same vehicle.
I think it will depend on the person buying and maintaining the rig as to whether it is good or bad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Go here and ask your question since it will be brand specific:

http://aspectcambriarvforum.forumotion.com

Now we have a 12 Aspect and 2 years ago the fuel pump went out while going to our vacation destination. Cost me somewhere around $700 to R&R. We have GS roadside to cover tow, and the warranty to cover repairs. Part of the $700 was my deductable. But ended up with NEW battery, new fuel pump relay, new fuel pump, TPS, and a couple of other things. Big thing was inconvenience and cancellation of trip with my kids/grand kids.

Last year started having frig problems with it not cooling. Cost me $250 for analysis and replacement of 1 part again while on trip. Worked ok but then started again. Got home replaced the eyebrow controller and its been good. Did not use the warranty. Other than that no issues with the rig. They say to expect issues but it will depend on usage I guess. Anyhow the starter you said cost due to having to have it done and not DIY. So kinda hard to complain on that one particularly since you have I guess only put in $1500 over 10 years, not counting I guess FW&T items (tires, oil changes etc). I think if you ask others with the brand you will find you have not been overly taxed by issues not uncommon to all rv's. So go to the aspect site and ask/read what others have to say. I think I would rather put some $$ into something I know then spend the $$$$ for something newer but not necessarily better.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Geeze, I think of older as being 1980’s, lol.
-- Chris Bryant

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Heh heh. We still drive our 2003 Fleetwood Revolution that we bought new. Runs like a top. Maybe 7 or 8 oil changes and greas jobs and one new exhaust manifold and a lift pump. 144500 km. Like new inside but the outside is starting to show its miles. Figure we’ll keep it past the 20 year point at least. Why fix what isn’t broke. :).

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our 2004 Winnebago about 3 1/2 years. We fixed the dash AC that we knew was bad. We had to fix the leveling, one rear axle seal and rear brakes because a caliper froze up.We did most of the labor but the parts cost about $1500 so far. So that comes to about $40 a month since we got it. What class a could we get for $40 a month?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an 05 DP I bought new. There is definitely a ten yearish honeymoon period.

In the last five years two slide motors, fridge cooling unit, both ACs, dash ac slow leak,
two ride ht valves, water pump, foggy headlights, fogged windows.

Not to mention the full liquid replacement, hoses, tires, etc.

Fun stuff. The worst part isn’t the expense, it’s the time to get the work done and the inconvenience.

On the other hand, you going to trade every five years?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.