cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On line bill paying?

maddawg46
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on traveling a lot. Signed up for electronic bill paying with my bank. I have an I pad that I use now to access my account. Ran into some folks that use a " hot spot " with Verizon for security. I have AT&T. Do I need to worry about this? If I use my ATT 4 g data plan and login to my banks secure system, then why do I need some additional security device.
I'm new to this, so inputs are greatly appreciated.
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
Wife and 2 Yorky's
Pontiac Vibe GT as the toad
20 REPLIES 20

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
maddawg46 wrote:
Plan on traveling a lot. Signed up for electronic bill paying with my bank. I have an I pad that I use now to access my account. Ran into some folks that use a " hot spot " with Verizon for security. I have AT&T. Do I need to worry about this? If I use my ATT 4 g data plan and login to my banks secure system, then why do I need some additional security device.
I'm new to this, so inputs are greatly appreciated.

The HOT spot lets them do it from their laptop instad of the Pad you have.. The security level is slightly higher the way you are doing it.

Here are the security issues:
Most RV parks, McDonalds, and such the Wi-Fi can be hacked, or a Psuedo node can be set up so when you pay your bills. the hacker gets all your info.. however with "Secured" connection this is much harder to do since the data flowing between your computer and the Wi-Fi Router (The Hot Spot is a Wi-Fi Router) is encrypted... Then the data flow between the cellular device (A hot-Spot is a cellular device) is also harder to snag due to the way Cell devices work.

In your case you are skipping Wi-Fi entierly.. So that's a whole level of security higher than what your friend's "hot spot" provides.

Park here just upgraded to both open and secured Wi-Fi.. I often use my cell phone though for bill paying, Right off the phone. Same as your Pad. Different carrier is all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I use Quicken to manage my accounts. I do not worry about transmitting transactions even over open public networks. Quicken encrypts the data before it goes on the network. They claim it is bank level encryption. Have been doing this for cash flow management since 2003 when the only access was to carry the computer to the cg office and plug into the modem line (I watched people pack a desktop machine and monitor to the office!). I have not been hacked YET! When I access my bank directly I make sure to verify that the https: shows in the address bar. 128 bit encryption will take just a bit of computer power and a year or two to break. No worries!
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Most my bills are set up with autopay. Generally no reason to log on. Email says how much and when.

I avoid Chase at any cost.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Also I would recommend having a plan in place if your mobile device is stolen, lost, misplaced. Treat it like a lost wallet, call your bank and get them to disable access, force a password reset or the like. Same for any other services you routinely access on the device (web mail, etc).
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

hart-attack
Explorer
Explorer
braindead0 wrote:
HTTPS is mostly secure. However running over a public wifi hotspot is risky, and if your device is configured to allow auto proxy discovery then you are at risk for a couple of fairly new key discovery techniques that can expose your login information and traffic. A lot depends on how good your bank security folks are and how trustworthy the WIFI operators is.

Password protected WIFI does nothing to protect user data, it's strictly a means of access control.

There are several options that can help assure your security, SSH tunnel to a known safe server, good VPN service, TOR. However all of these require proper configuration and good security practices on your end.

I would recommend paying bills on AT&T and only using public WIFI for browsing, email, things that IF someone was able to access it wouldn't mean an empty bank account. AT&T should have their 'stuff' together, and the risk of rogue proxy or MITM attacks should be minimal.

+if your bank offers it, opt in for 2 factor authentication; if they don't, switch banks! i have that with Chase. every time i use a different computer or something about the computer changes, i get a txt message with an additional code to enter before accessing the bank accounts. just another layer of security.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
braindead0 wrote:
HTTPS is mostly secure. However running over a public wifi hotspot is risky, and if your device is configured to allow auto proxy discovery then you are at risk for a couple of fairly new key discovery techniques that can expose your login information and traffic. A lot depends on how good your bank security folks are and how trustworthy the WIFI operators is.
Password protected WIFI does nothing to protect user data, it's strictly a means of access control.

There are several options that can help assure your security, SSH tunnel to a known safe server, good VPN service, TOR. However all of these require proper configuration and good security practices on your end.

I would recommend paying bills on AT&T and only using public WIFI for browsing, email, things that IF someone was able to access it wouldn't mean an empty bank account. AT&T should have their 'stuff' together, and the risk of rogue proxy or MITM attacks should be minimal.

I concur. Public Wifi should be assumed to be monitored by those with malicious intent. If you are forced to use public wifi for banking or the like on a regular basis, you may want to look into a VPN service. It won't eliminate the potential to be hacked, but it will reduce it to the risk level of a cell connection/hotspot or your home internet.

(IT security guy here, btw..)
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
maddawg46 wrote:
So looks like I'm good to go. I'll just always pay with my AT&T data plan, and not use wifi on the road.

You are good with that plan. The only time I ever use a public WiFi network is if my Verizon 4G isn't available. And then if I were on WiFi I wouldn't be using my bank accounts or any other confidential type stuff.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
maddawg46 wrote:
then why do I need some additional security device.
You don't, you're fine. Using a hot spot is no different from what you're doing. Been doing this for years.

X2. no worries.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

maddawg46
Explorer
Explorer
So looks like I'm good to go. I'll just always pay with my AT&T data plan, and not use wifi on the road.
2016 Newmar Bay Star 3124
Wife and 2 Yorky's
Pontiac Vibe GT as the toad

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been paying everything on line for over 5 years. The bank provides the security. Many people do have hotspots that look to be unprotected, but just click on them to try to connect and you will find you do need a password.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your tablet device is directly connected to the AT&T network you are not using WiFi hotspot and you don't need to create one. The phone company's wireless data connection is more secure than even WiFi because of channel cycling in addition to encryption.

Folks doing their own hotspot are doing it for better security than a public hotspot.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
No worries! My wife pays all our bills from our I-Pad even if were not on the road. We have never had a problem and were on AT&T (no contract when were on the road) and were on Verizon at home.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer

2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
maddawg46 wrote:
then why do I need some additional security device.
You don't, you're fine. Using a hot spot is no different from what you're doing. Been doing this for years.

I agree with this.

I also find it convenient to have almost everything go to my credit card automatically or have auto bank draft to a special account that I set up for utility bills (they will not use credit cards). The bank transfers a small fixed amount just enough to cover those to that special account for me each month. My utility bills are averaged (budget billing they call it) so I always know how much they will be. Most odd bills can be put on credit card by a phone call. I pay my credit card with an online transfer and I am done.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis