cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the road generator problem. Help?

kwilkins
Explorer
Explorer
We're traveling and the generator will not put consistent power to our 2010 Itasca Sunstar 32k, the generator is an Onan 5000 gas. The generator starts fine and runs fines, no stuttering. The power in the coach cycles on and off every second constantly. The generators oil is fine and all battery connections look fine.

Any thoughts?

Ken
12 REPLIES 12

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a ground problem or could be they left a loose bolt or connection somewhere. Remember, Electricity flows like water.Go to the source and work from there, or to where you have 120V and use a good Fluke Meter and check Amperage. It is really simple to do if you own a good meter. Voltage across a no load circuit can be 110-120. I get a lot of 116 readings due to V drop (resistance) in wires.

kwilkins
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
Ken, could you post an update on this problem when you get a chance? I would like to know what the cause is when you find it out.

Miles

This is the OP, sorry for dropping off the thread, I lost internet connection.

I opened the transfer switch box and could see that one of the relays is cycling in and out (or on and off?) every second. The generator runs find and does not bog down at any point, or shut off. I'm not very technically savvy, looks like a trip to the service center.

Ken

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a thought: YOu said it runs for a while, boggs down (At which time something is shutting off power) But the generator revs back up and eventually power is restored.. How long does that take?

Answer: 30 seconds to 1 minute: Auto transfer switch sees lowered voltage and drops out.. When voltage returns timer cycles and it re-engages generator

2-3 minutes: Do you have a surge guard/power MONITOR system like a Progressive Industries HW-30 or 50 C? If so see above but different device doing the cycling.

By the way, this is known as working as designed in both cases.

NOW: what is causing the Generator to "Bog Down" epically if Onan cleared it?

Found out something a while ago...I have two Air conditioners on this house, they draw, per their label 13.5 amps.. Ok, so why did one of them suddenly start tripping a 20 amp breaker? (Folks, do not worry about that I fixed it)

I got out my clamp on meter and monitored current, sure enough, after the A/C had been running a few mintues current was climbing well beyond 13.5,, in fact, beyond 21 amps So it was NOT, as I initially suspected, a bad breaker, device was working as designed.

Went topside, popped the outer shroud off the A/C.. Popped the inner cover off the condenser (HOT) coils.. REMOVED all the crud that had collected on said coils.... Replaced covers, Reset breaker,, Measured sustained 13.5

IF you are running the Roof A/Cs. and they need cleaning, then after a few minutes of operation they too may start sucking excess amps. and if your ONAN is like mine, a 5500 with two 30 amp breakers, a BALANCED load can bog down the generator BEFORE it trips the breakers.

So that's where I would start looking,, Clean the A/C to reduce generator load.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

johnamy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry 110 power. It's late.

johnamy
Explorer
Explorer
Raymon-
I am experiencing this issue. The generator bogs down, the 100 power goes off and then the generator revs back up and power comes back. This happens every few seconds. I had Onan check it and they said it was the transfer switch. I spent all day tracking one down. I installed it and the problem is still occurring. Thoughts?

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, could you post an update on this problem when you get a chance? I would like to know what the cause is when you find it out.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly what do you mean by " The power in the coach cycles on and off every second constantly."? Does the generator rev up like it is under load and then suddenly idle down? Does this happen every few seconds? Let me know if this is the case and I just might have an answer for you.

If the power goes completely off, then you have a problem for which I may not be able to help.

Ray

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Could be weak breakers on the generator or weak coils holding the contacts in the transfer switch.

You imply generator runs and provides good power when parked!
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP - I would look at the transfer switch. If the generator is running well, it would seem to be something other than the generator itself. *Ususally* generators either put out power or they don't. If it's intermittent, I would look to an issue downstream from the generator.

I had a bunch of dead ants causing my transfer switch to behave in a similar manner. Once they were all fried, the switch began functioning properly again.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP: I don't know your skill level or what tools you have at your disposal. You know power is not getting to the coach consistently. How about to the transfer switch? If you have a meter and know how to safely use it, you can probe to find out if there is voltage to the switch from the generator when the power is not getting to the coach. This will help isolate the problem
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.

kwilkins
Explorer
Explorer
gwheel wrote:
Ken, I would make sure that both roof air conditioners are off if you have two, and then see if the power is still cycling. Also what make and model is your generator? I am a guessing that it may be an onan marquis, being a 5kw. It almost sounds like there A thermo breaker that is resetting rapidly, or possibly the change over relay is dropping out, in the auto transfer switch, possibly due to high current draw. Geo

The roof air units were off. The microwave was on but not running, and the fridge, that's it. There was very little draw on the gen. It is a onan marguies model HGJAA.

gwheel
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, I would make sure that both roof air conditioners are off if you have two, and then see if the power is still cycling. Also what make and model is your generator? I am a guessing that it may be an onan marquis, being a 5kw. It almost sounds like there A thermo breaker that is resetting rapidly, or possibly the change over relay is dropping out, in the auto transfer switch, possibly due to high current draw. Geo