cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan 2800 Microlite change Update

Barman
Explorer
Explorer
Well I finally managed to get all of the changes made to install the new Onan replacement generator. I have it all done except the exhaust pipe, and that is another story. I purchased a 3 foot long straight length of the pipe from Cummins, and i need to bend it as I need for proper fit, and no place I can find so far has dies of that size. It is 1 1/4 OD and exhaust shops don't go smaller than 1 !/2. I'm still working on that project, but I did bring the Roadtrek out into the drive and start it up and run it for about 25 minutes. The 1st thing I noticed was that there is a delay when you push the start button before it starts to motor. My old system motored immediately, this one has about a 3 second delay before anything happens. It does start fast and run smooth and quieter though. I ran the Roof A/C and the microwave at the same time just to make sure it handles the load properly. I think after I find a way to bend my exhaust and get that mounted, I am going to like the new system. The specifications on the new unit indicates that they increased the engine displacement slightly. It is still a 2800 watt unit, but a little more CCs. I am anxious to get it out on the road and really test it out. I will do another update as I find anything new.
2 REPLIES 2

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
Electricians work with metal conduit from 3/4" up to about 2". You may be able to find an electrician with the correct size conduit bending equipment.

booster
Explorer
Explorer
Barman wrote:
Well I finally managed to get all of the changes made to install the new Onan replacement generator. I have it all done except the exhaust pipe, and that is another story. I purchased a 3 foot long straight length of the pipe from Cummins, and i need to bend it as I need for proper fit, and no place I can find so far has dies of that size. It is 1 1/4 OD and exhaust shops don't go smaller than 1 !/2. I'm still working on that project, but I did bring the Roadtrek out into the drive and start it up and run it for about 25 minutes. The 1st thing I noticed was that there is a delay when you push the start button before it starts to motor. My old system motored immediately, this one has about a 3 second delay before anything happens. It does start fast and run smooth and quieter though. I ran the Roof A/C and the microwave at the same time just to make sure it handles the load properly. I think after I find a way to bend my exhaust and get that mounted, I am going to like the new system. The specifications on the new unit indicates that they increased the engine displacement slightly. It is still a 2800 watt unit, but a little more CCs. I am anxious to get it out on the road and really test it out. I will do another update as I find anything new.

There are several ways around the exhaust issue. It is not a big deal flow wise if you cut out a notch with a hacksaw, hand bend it into an angle and have the cut line welded. Doesn't look as spiffy, but will work just fine. You can also buy prebent sections in that size (Jegs or Summit racing on line), (at least I did a few years ago) and just cut them how you want the bend and get them weld to the straight pieces. Hard to believe nobody has the dies, as I have had systems made in that diameter for tractors and such.