cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan Generator 5500 Issue

ss340duster
Explorer
Explorer
Primitive camped this weekend and generator worked great 1st day and night came back for 2nd night and Generator would Start right up and run about 30 to 45 Seconds max and would shut down just like you turned it back off i tried it several times and it kept doing same thing i made sure nothing extra was plugged up and i also tried with both breakers on generator turned off as well and still would not run longer than 30 to 40 seconds any ideas ?
22 REPLIES 22

ss340duster
Explorer
Explorer
I ran it for about 10 mins without door I would have never guessed the door would act as a cooler for the gen

ss340duster
Explorer
Explorer
I ran it for about 10 mins without door I would have never guessed the door would act as a cooler for the gen

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
These units have a oil pump, despite the incorrect report, and when the oil is down some you make a turn, they have been known to loose oil pressure and stop.
Running low and having it stop for low oil pressure results in you playing the $$$ game, sooner or later you will loose weight.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
These sets only hold two quarts of oil, so best to keep at full mark to avoid problems like you had.It does have low oil pressure shut-down switch, not low oil level. Glad you got it fixed, Btw be sure to have service door on when running gen....exhaust system (muffler) will get severely overheated without door on.

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the flashING lights on either the dash or unit. If you don't have the codes you can get them online. Flash blink etc will tell you whats up. Very accurate and will pinpoint your problem guickly.
Roll on
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
They use splash lube so when it splashed a little oil around the level probably dropped to stop the motor.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

ss340duster
Explorer
Explorer
Update I changed the oil used the wix filter and mobile one synthetic 15w/50 oil and it's now purring like a kitten also I'm a old drag racer from many years and the synthetic oils are the real deal so thanks guys for the info

ss340duster
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 5.5 HGJAB -911
and it was very low on oil

RDG
Explorer
Explorer
ss340duster wrote:
If the low oil pressure cutoff is my problem are they a way to reset or will it be be automatic when I change oil and refill

Should be OK after you add (change) oil.
Bob
2001 Forest River Georgetown 346S Motorhome

ss340duster
Explorer
Explorer
If the low oil pressure cutoff is my problem are they a way to reset or will it be be automatic when I change oil and refill

ss340duster
Explorer
Explorer
The cross reference for Onan oil filter P/N is 122-0836 and Wix filter is PN 57398 for future reference

ss340duster
Explorer
Explorer

2001 Winnebago Adventurer

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which Model 5500 do you have? 5.5HGJAB, or the older 5.5BGM? Both have low oil pressure cut off switches. If you have later model (HGJAB) you can use the status light in start-stop switch to help diagnose. Anytime set shuts down and you did not push stop switch, it should give a fault code (series of light flashes) to tell what system is malfunctioning. Also, Onan oil filter P/N is 122-0836. Napa can cross ref. if you dont have Onan supplier near-by. Factory ships units with 15w-40 oil, and works well if your climate is warmer than Alaska North Slope

ss340duster
Explorer
Explorer
yes im gonna change the oil and filter and check gas line too, are they oil filter conversion chart on here so i buy filter at the local autoparts store and i see everyone recomends 15 w 40 or 20 w 50 oil also is synthetic a option too