cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generator problem

wacdmc
Explorer
Explorer
My generator has only 23 hours. I noticed yesterday it was making a clicking/tapping sound while running. Now it starts but quits. I got a fault 14 and 36. Oil level is fine. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?
11 REPLIES 11

allynnc
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so my fuel pump filter were original on my Onan 4000 in my class C with 500 hours it so I took it to the only place I could find in the Oklahoma City area and they charged me nearly $900 to replace the fuel pump, filter, an air filter, and a spark plug then load test it. My only problem I was having is that if I parked the RV nose higher than the back, the pump would not pump up enough fuel, but ran fine though loud with central air on. That seems absurd, but their labor rate was $145 per hour. There is a youtube video for how to do it, but at 72 I don't see or work well in dark places where the pump is located or I would have done it myself, but never envisioned a cost like that for an electric fuel pump and a couple of filters.

wacdmc
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Just for me, 23 hours isn't good unless the Genny is nearly new. How old? How often run? How often exercised?
Please post Model and Spec Code.

It's a 2016 model purchased on March 16. Used a few times before this trip (had 6 hours on it) so never really sat long enough to be exercised.

Update: It ran better after I set the altitude but still had some up and down of the RPM on occasion. Also, it still occasionally makes the arcing sound. It's been at Onan all week and of course, they can't find anything wrong with it. They neglected to run a diagnostic check to determine why I received the 14 and 36 fault. They plan to do this Monday so I'll post again once I hear from them.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for me, 23 hours isn't good unless the Genny is nearly new. How old? How often run? How often exercised?
Please post Model and Spec Code.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
tpi wrote:
Throwing this question out there-if the fuel pump were to fail, could you install a remote fuel pump along the fuel line and disable and bypass the Onan pump without pulling out generator?

If it's the common 4 kW KY model (i.e. MicroQuiet 4000 or whatever they call it now), it's quite possible in most cases to replace the fuel pump without dropping the generator. It does require removing the starter solenoid and control board and associated bits, but that would need to be done in any case to bypass it (or, at least on my installation, to remove the fuel line and AC power connections which are not long enough to permit dropping the generator with them connected).

The fuel pump is a fairly standard low-pressure diaphragm fuel pump. While it of course has an Onan part number and can be bought from Onan, perfectly suitable replacements are not too hard to come by elsewhere.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Throwing this question out there-if the fuel pump were to fail, could you install a remote fuel pump along the fuel line and disable and bypass the Onan pump without pulling out generator?

Oklahoma_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the original topic, my Onan generator was clicking too. Took it in to Cummins for analysis and they found that it was the fuel pump. During the test it gave up the ghost. Fuel pump cost is $71.89. Now the generator had to be removed from my Class C motorhome in order to gain access to the pump. Labor cost was $730.00. One month left on my warranty so that was the good part. Bad thing is that if this new pump goes out right after my warranty is up there is no guaranteed time frame on this new fuel pump if that one goes bad. This according to Cummins Service Manager. Makes you wonder about this entire RV industry.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
PatrickA51 wrote:
The micro lite generator in my RV runs, we turned the A/C the other day the circuit breaker tripped, the A/C quit. any ideas. I have reset the breaker switch.

Why don't you start a separate thread rather than hijack this one?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted by OP

wacdmc
Explorer
Explorer
I changed the altitude knob as we were at 5300 feet. Now it runs ok but still hearing clicking as if it's arcing somewhere. When an electric load is put on it the engine struggles and rpm oscillates.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a fuel problem with your discription. 14 with a 36 is most likely a Frequency problem caused from by a fuel problem, fuel pump could be the cause or fuel filter from the sounds you hear.

LEN

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
What model #, What size??
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ