cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Coachmen Leprechaun Please

Mbethrobi
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of purchase a new unit this year and wondered what the consensus is on the Coachmen brand, Leprechaun model. Anyone with experience with the brand would be extremely helpful to know what you think about the product.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Maribeth
18 REPLIES 18

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Well into our third season on ours. Still going strong. Only complaint is cheap window blinds. Will be looking for better aftermarket shades eventually. Mechanically has been sound with no issues to speak of. We have a 2013 319DS
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Turner__P
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Leprechaun, 32 foot with 2 slides. I have no problems other than the normal issues that come with use. We had the roof inspected and cleaned. I just put in 2 new batteries. We bought it used in 2011 and have been as far west as Arizona and north to New Hampshire. I haven't found anything that I like enough to trade. No plumbing or electrical issues.
Paul T

NowWhere2
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Coachmen Leprechaun , 29 DS (dual slides). we bought this used in 2010 so can't speak for its first 5 years of life.

Overall we have been happy, but there is an electrical issue with the kitchen slide no one can figure out. even with fully charged batteries putting out the slide blows something.

also developed a cab over leak above the driver - but if you ask me, cab overs are just leak prone no matter who builds it.

DocP
Explorer
Explorer
All in all, I'm pleased with our 2016 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS. The only issues so far was a less than stellar caulking job around the shower stall (I pulled all of the factory caulk down inside the stall and redid it), and I need to schedule a front end alignment (small amount of "shimmy" at higher speeds). I knew going in that it wasn't a high-end unit, and took that into account relative to the purchase price. I'd buy it again.

For what its worth, I have had several higher-end travel trailers over the years and found many of the same issues with careless workmanship that I have experienced with the mid- and lower-end units.
Michael & Anne
Retired and loving it!
Macedonia, OH

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
While we were looking for another new to us MH a big deal breaker was the "step up" in the floor Period ! Even worse the step was at the wrong side of the frig. Not only stepping off that step (did it twice while looking at different models, jarred my back good too. Yeah I know my fault but still) but the frig was set up for someone standing right in front of it and opening it on the raised (step) floor.
Sounds simple enough right !? Now have your wife stand at the stove/sink and reach over and open the frig and try and reach say halfway in on pretty much any shelf! And forget the top shelves if you/shes 5.5 or shorter !
So you say well just step up on the raised floor , that will get old real quick !

We stopped in at one place that had a brand spanking new one , the sales guy was all bragging about the build quality etc on it as we stepped inside it , the Mrs points out one wall paneling bowed out from the wall enough you could stick your whole hand wide open into the void area. Yeah that's some build quality right there, I looked at the paneling there were no staples, nails , glue or anything holding the panel , just the top had been stapled once in each corner and the bottom had been wedged in. I asked him so if quality control at the factory let this through , then the dealership that received it checked it out and put it on the line for sale like that, that certainly speaks volumes of the product...

Charlie53
Explorer
Explorer
exp19h - I would appreciate an update of your thoughts and impressions (likes, dislikes and/or problems) over the past 10 months with your 2014 Leprechaun 220QB. We are considering the purchase of a 2015 Leprechaun 220QB. Thanks.

jtbr3
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2005 for 7 years. No major issues, just basic maintenance items. Sold to move to larger floorplan with bunks and higher towing capacity. The main things we enjoyed was large underneath storage, split bath and outdoor entertainment center.
08 Four Winds Chateau Kodiak 34H

leprechauner
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2013 Leprechaun, this is the end of our second summer. Only issue was a broken shower door roller. 30000 miles, pretty good if you ask me? It took us two years to buy a motorhome, kept coming back to coachmen, we found better layouts, more style vs. other manufactures. In my opinion, they are all good, it comes down to style and layout, and nothing but a Ford chassis.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Coachmen Catalina Sport and only had one problem with a small water leak, fund and repaired, we purchsed it in 2001 and have had no other problems recaulked the roof joints a couple years ago need to redo them, all in all they are good as a first entry unit.

navegator

exp19h
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 model 220qb on a Chevy . So far no problems yet coming up on 6,000 miles.
Love the MH so far.

PHDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
We just finished our first year in a 2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 320 BH. This was our down size from a Holiday Rambler diesel pusher. We have had no serious problems with this motor home. Even the minor issues were very limited. Nothing that required a return to the dealer for service. No leaks of any kind. We have had great service from Ford. One of the major reasons we went to a Ford gas unit was the access to service through ford. We tow a 2011 Jeep Liberty with little effort. The floor plan and functionality of this motor home are excellent. Gas mileage sucks, but driving conservatively helps. After 35 years of this "Rv Thing" we feel we have a fairly good experience base. The biggest problem we find with coachmen is the limited owners manual. Not really a problem for experienced people but could be for those new to Motor Homes. All in all we are very please with our decision to down size to the Coachmen Leprechaun.

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Trouble free as we wrap up our 2nd season in ours. Very happy with it so far.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

John_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Not too happy with our Leprechaun.
We downsized from a Winnebago Class A and I guess we were spoiled by the quality of the Winnie. In our Leprechaun we have had plumbing leaks caused by screws through water pipes put there during construction, leaks from un-caulked clearance lights, plumbing leaks from cheap pex fittings, a leak around the slide, and a leak in the cab-over area we haven't tracked down yet.
We really like the Chevy chassis, but that's about it right now; the build quality is just not what we had hoped for.
John and Susan
2018 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 Coachmen 220RK Catalina series, and it's been a problem free MH since I bought it in 2008. Of course that has no bearing on a "newer?" Leprechaun series. Over the years I think it's safe to say that Coachmen (now a Forest River Company) has put out a decent quality MH. Like anything else, you can get a "good one", while someone else with the same model can get a "not so good one", or vice versa.
As far as floorplans, I don't think there are very many unique to one manufacturer. If someone does come out with something a little different, which proves to be popular, the other manufacturers will copy it soon enough.
The only "unique" floorplan I can think of in my limited experience is the Nexus 25P which gives a full wall slide with a walk around Queen size bed, in a unit that's under 25'.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect