cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paint issue on aluminum siding.

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying again to upload pictures showing the odd paint issue that I have on an RV I purchased recently. This is a 2003 Monaco Rogue with painted aluminum siding. There appears to be some sort of film on top of the paint which has been cleaned off in some areas exposing white. It's not dirt. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is there a way to clean this off so it has a uniform white color?

7 REPLIES 7

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
tmaxx wrote:
Holiday27 wrote:
It looks to me like its just oxidized. Maybe someone started to polish it and then gave up because of the hard work. Our first class c was fiberglass and someone had done just that before we purchased it.

Silly question here - how do I tell if it's aluminum or fiberglass siding? Do both have issues with oxidation? How can I tell if it's oxidation?
Thanks.

As EMD360 said, you can see the rivets in your picture. You definitely have an aluminum sided RV! It won't oxidize like fiberglass but it can fade, although mine has not. You should have less maintenance than the fiberglass equivalent, I did. I would still recommend a pressure test. That will tell you where you need to re-caulk your seams. Good luck!
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I looked up the Monaco when you were asking about the model earlier and saw that they were indeed aluminum. I had thought only Lazy Days were aluminum.
I didn't realize metal oxidized, but I guess the paint itself could. The contrast looks too dark to be Zep floor finish but a simple wipe with ammonia would tell you if it comes off like that wax does. Otherwise it seems more likely that it would be the paint itself--or clear coat as someone mentioned.
The screws/rivets along the side look different from fiberglass siding which on my rig the fiberglass is secured at the trim pieces.

Seems like you could try a few removers in a small area away from the graphics which look really good for a 2003, and see if any of them whiten the surface.
It also looks like there are gaps on your trim where the dark areas are in the photos that may need caulk.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
Holiday27 wrote:
It looks to me like its just oxidized. Maybe someone started to polish it and then gave up because of the hard work. Our first class c was fiberglass and someone had done just that before we purchased it.

Silly question here - how do I tell if it's aluminum or fiberglass siding? Do both have issues with oxidation? How can I tell if it's oxidation?
Thanks.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Or maybe someone put the Zep (floor wax) shine to it which is failing.
Check on removers if this is what it is.

Holiday27
Explorer
Explorer
2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent:(
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks like fiberglass siding, with a poor repair job done.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's the clear coat coming off. Maybe it was touched up at some time and it's not holding up.

I'm near Houston and stopped at a small place on the side of the road. The guy had some nice looking Tiffins. As I walked around I noticed that he had one out behind his house taped off and applying primer to a large band around it. It had just been raining before I got there.