cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panel Monitor for House Battery Voltage

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched and got nothing.
Anyway, my house batteries are toast (7 years old, so no big deal), but could have lasted longer if I hadn't been trusting the panel monitor that has always, and STILL DOES, show a full charge. What is that stupid thing reading? Shore power? Charging level?
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm.
Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt, RIP)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari
4 REPLIES 4

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes as others have said, battery voltage is only showed. If they lack amps try a battery minder to desulfate the batteries. I've brought batteries back that I thought were long gone.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Mark,

Could you please clarify: What kind of meter and what readings are you seeing?

If it is an analog meter with a 0-15 scale, you will be hard pressed to see the difference between charged and depleted.

DrewE is correct, but such instruments are not cheap (I should know). They are, however, very cost effective and can prevent other expensive like having to replace a house bank.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless it's a trimetric sort of battery monitor that counts charge in and out of the battery, all it can measure is the DC voltage at the battery. If connected to an active charger, this will be the charge voltage, which will always look like at least fully charged.

If you're looking at a little three or four light bargraph sort of display, there are some voltage thresholds where the lights turn on or off, but you'd have to experiment with a real voltmeter to find out what they are. Often one light down means you should think about charging, two lights down means you're well lower than you want to be, and three lights down is approaching battery killing discharge levels. They rarely if ever provide sufficient information to be very intelligent about battery management.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
It senses what voltage is at the batteries, this maybe the converter output if on shore power, and is somewhere in the ball park.
The best way to check batteries is fully charge them, then disconnect all loads and let them rest about 6 hours. The using a hydrometer measure the specific gravity of each cell and correct for battery temperature. This is a pita.
Simpler and what a lot of us do; after the batteries rest with no load or charging voltage a couple of hours measure the voltage. A 12 volt system should be around 13 volts.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin