cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pets and Traveling

DanLee
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to buy our first Class A and hopefully will have lots of time to travel and see the Country. A potential problem is our relatively healthy 13 y/o lab. The few times we have taken him in our truck while while towing the 5th wheel, he is very nervous and uncomfortable riding and must be lifted in and out of the truck. He should be more comfortable riding in the Coach, but I can't imagine how will work-out once we arrive at our destination and leave him in the Coach all day while we are out seeing sites. Would love to hear suggestions and experiences. Thanks
28 REPLIES 28

mfitz709
Explorer
Explorer
Our dog Izzy goes with us on all our camping trips. She usually sits on the dash while traveling down the road. We get a lot of pointers I'm sure their saying look at that dog..She's no problem for us and actually keeps us smiling. I think she enjoys camping and traveling as much as we do. Just the three of us and enjoying life as much as we can..
Mike, Judy, & Izzy the spoiled dog.
2005 31'Fleetwood Jamboree

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
willald wrote:
Nobody will like my advice on this and I'll probably get flamed on this, but here goes anyway:

Our solution to this issue is simple: We don't bring the four-legged pets with us when camping, ever.

They either stay at a friends, get boarded, or stay at the house and we hire a pet-sitter to come by every so often to check on and play with them (usually the latter). We find this is much, MUCH easier and less stressful on all involved.

Bringing them along just causes way too many difficulties that we do not want to deal with (most of which have already been mentioned in this thread).

I know I'm in the minority, and I know a lot of RV owners get an RV specifically so they can take their pets with them. That is not us, though. I like the freedom of not having to worry about the pets when we travel.

Will

Actually, I agree with you to a certain extent. If I'm going CAMPING and playing outdoors, doing activities that dogs enjoy, etc., then I take them with me. If I'm traveling for sightseeing, then the dogs stay at a kennel. I don't want to spend my time sightseeing worrying about what's happening back at the RV - I'd rather enjoy my sightseeing fully and not feel rushed to return.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Two collies love the travel and reluctantly allow us to leave to sight see but only after they give us a piece of their minds going out the door. One takes the drivers seat, the other navigates and provides a short narrative to our neighbors.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nobody will like my advice on this and I'll probably get flamed on this, but here goes anyway:

Our solution to this issue is simple: We don't bring the four-legged pets with us when camping, ever.

They either stay at a friends, get boarded, or stay at the house and we hire a pet-sitter to come by every so often to check on and play with them (usually the latter). We find this is much, MUCH easier and less stressful on all involved.

Bringing them along just causes way too many difficulties that we do not want to deal with (most of which have already been mentioned in this thread).

I know I'm in the minority, and I know a lot of RV owners get an RV specifically so they can take their pets with them. That is not us, though. I like the freedom of not having to worry about the pets when we travel.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Some dogs do get car sick, but it can be minimized. Having him lay down will reduce the non-vehicle motion. Fresh air coming in can help (in some cases, it makes it worse). Not looking out windows can help or make it worse. Talk to your vet for possible medications and other recommendations on reducing his discomfort.

In your case, it sounds like the dog just really doesn't like the vehicle. To combat that, I offer these ideas:

1. Let him go into the RV and just spend time in there with your family in the driveway. Go so far as to spend a few nights "driveway camping". If you can't camp in your driveway, look for a local RV park - then one of you drive the RV there and the other drive your regular vehicle with the dog in it. When you leave, take the dog home in the regular vehicle. The idea is to let him get used to the RV with it stationary. When you're in the RV with him, just do your normal stuff - don't make a big deal about where you are, just be together there.

2. Have things your dog loves in the RV BEFORE you bring him inside. Toys, treats, favorite blanket, etc. This will help make the RV an extension of your home and give him something enjoyable about being in it.

3. Once he starts seeing the RV as a place to enjoy in its stationary state, ten take him for a ride. Take it to a local park, etc. where he can get out and play for a bit. Show him that riding in the RV means going out and having fun rather than going to the vet, etc. Don't do a long driving trip right out the gate, let him get used to short easy rides first.

And so you know there's hope: years ago I had a sweet foster dog. She was a shepherd/setter/spaniel mix. She got car sick within seconds of being in a car. I had adopted her to a nice older man (he named her after his mother) and as they drove out the driveway, she threw up... Two years later, he and his girlfriend sold their houses and bought a truck and 5th wheel and full-timed. She traveled all over the U.S. and Canada - on her special bed in the back seat of the truck (they bought that truck specifically so she would have a bed). I ran into them about 6 years later and she was still happily traveling.

This is really good advice. I travel with a 13 year old german shorthair, a 14 year old Jack Russel, and a 1 year old Deutsch Kurzhaar. My pups are kennel trained. When we are going down the highway, they are in their kennels with a comfortable bed and toys. Their kennels are also secured. Just as I want to be in a seat belt, it is my contention that the pups are safer in the kennel, and would not become projectiles, should I have to stop suddenly or get in a wreck. When I stop for a break, they get to stretch their legs and take care of business as well.
Bill
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with a 45 pound, 14 year old English setter. After our last trip, she didn't want to get off the RV when we got home. She has more time with both my wife and I while on RV trips. We also try to stay at parks that have dog runs so she can get tired before we leave her in the RV and we take her when we get back. When we are on the road, we use a dog harness attached to the couch seat belt. This is safer and forces her to settle down on the road. We also leave some noise on (radio, TV, etc) while she is alone and close our shades.

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would take the dog to the coach when it is not moving and give him a treat and lots of attention. Keep doing this and he should associate the coach with good things. Then do the same but take a short trip. He should soon be dragging you into the coach.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

KO
Explorer
Explorer
My dog Rocco has made 16 cross country trips during the last 6 years. This has been auto and RV. At first he was unsure of the moving RV, but he know takes over the queen sized bed and stretch out and enjoy the trip.
I don't think he sleeps while traveling as he seems to enjoy down time when stopped. I make sure he has fresh water when we stop.
When leaving the RV, I leave him - always with the AC on.
He is ready to go when he sees me packing.

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:
We have a small dog that rides on the dash of the motorhome, I guess she likes to see where we are going. When we leave to go sight seeing or whatever we bring along a kennel that we put her in. We also close the blinds leave the air on so the fan runs all the time to block out outside noise. Plus we turn the radio on low. At least when they are in the kennel you know they aren't looking out the window barking at the other campers or whatever.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We travel with 3 Boston Terriers and do the same as you. All three have a crate we put them in when we are gone. My main concern is losing the AC for the air conditioner when it is hot outside. This actuaully happened last summer and we nearly lost all three when the breaker on the pedestal tripped and the temp was 90ยฐ inside when we got back. I am in the process of installing an autostart for the generator to make sure this doesn't happen again.
We are a rolling zoo. DW likes to bring all of our critters. The bunks are used for three dog crates on the bottom and cages for the bearded dragon and pet squirrel on top.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
We Always take our 5yr old Lab with us,She evens go with us sightseeing, and to lunch and Dinner,we always find a place out side to eat.We even took her to a Restaurant on the Monterey Wharf. She is always with us.She goes to Costco,Target,HomeDepot,Sportsmen Warehouse, JUST PART OF US. Boy does she love to travel,She has her spot on the couch.And she's in heaven.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our three Shelties and four cats think the MH is there second home. Cats find their place and sleep 20 hours a day. Our dogs were crate trained from puppies. We make sure they have had a good walk, poop, pee and drink before crating them. We make sure things are dark and cool. They are good for 6-7 hours. Then all heck breaks out when we return. More wiggling, pooping, peeing and a good walk. They are good till dinner and more of the same. We've had more than one neighbor comment on how quiet our dogs are while we are gone.

They key is consistency in routine and commands. They adapt to a smaller space just like we do. Make a nest and special place and you will be ok.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Two cocker/poodle combos. One male-loves to ride and sleeps in his bed-and one female sister who hates the motion and runs to her crate the minute the engine is engaged and does not leave it until the engine stops. We try to stop and walk every two hours. Good for them and us. When we leave the coach is buttoned up as all others and TV is on. I use a cellphone called home away by Verizon. 19 bucks for the service and hook the freeze alarm, reversed to act as heat alarm to it so it will call me if temp hits a preset high. I can also call it to check. Both have built in battery backup. Pups are family and a joy to take along. As your pup ages I have seen many ramps to ease the walk into the coach for large dogs with hip issues. Good luck.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Our Lab liked anything with a motor and wanted to ride it. It was really funny watching her trying to get on a electric weed eater. She would curl her lips up, squint her eyelids, and try to get on it. Loved the riding lawn mower.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jim - I can see the Husky brain whirling behind those eyes. ๐Ÿ™‚ Love huskies, grew up with one, but realized I don't want a dog smarter than me. Had a shepherd/husky foster dog once - had people begging to adopt her, took me 4 months to find a home that could keep up with her husky brain. They never turn off and take such pleasure in proving that people are dumb.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)