cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please help with a tire question.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Last time we needed tires, we got Goodyear's. My husband loved driving on these tires. Well, we need tires again but I need help with a question.

We use a dealership that we trust, but they do not have the rv tires in stock, they order them. I told the man I spoke to what tires I wanted. I also said that I wanted fresh tires-six months or less. The dealership called today-they have the tires but are almost one year old.

Now, the dealership is willing to send the tires back, and try again, but the same thing might happen.

Would you keep the tires, try again, or get another brand?

Thank you.
Kathy
26 REPLIES 26

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
cruising spud wrote:

Our dealership got us tires that our not quite one year old. The dealership says they cannot request a specific age for a tire, but they can send tires back and try again. Naturally, the date on the tires can be just as old the second time.

Would you:

ask to try again

use these tires

Thank you.

If your tire dealer can't order the tires to your specifications, then I would suggest you try a different tire dealer.

MR_MAC
Explorer
Explorer
I'll bet that MH's on dealer lot will have tire dates that are 6MO or more, most people don't even look.
ROBERT L MC INTYRE

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
CapriRacer wrote:
they tested to see if they could find a difference between a freshly manufactured tire and a 3 year old one. They couldn't.
Thanks. The public, unfortunately, believes what it wants.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, at one year old you have already lost 1/6 the safe life expectancy. I would expect at least 16-2/3% discount.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone,

Again, thank you for all of the information.
Kathy

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just an FYI:

I used to work for a major tire manufacturer. The subject of aging while a tire is in storage has come up so many times, they did a study. The concensus of the industry was that if properly stored, tires that are up to 6 years old have the same characteristics as newly manufactured tires - but the company I worked for uses a policy of three years - and they tested to see if they could find a difference between a freshly manufactured tire and a 3 year old one.

They couldn't.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
cruising spud wrote:
Okay, let me try again...

My husband likse the ride of the Goodyear tires we currently have on our motorhome better than any other tires we have ever had.

We regularly change our rv tires at the end of a five year time cycle.

Our dealership got us tires that our not quite one year old. The dealership says they cannot request a specific age for a tire, but they can send tires back and try again. Naturally, the date on the tires can be just as old the second time.

Would you:

ask to try again

use these tires

And, a question: if we go with the year old tires, does this simply mean that we need to get them changed at the end of four years, instead of five?

Thank you.

A- Yes, try again. Have them call first.
B- No need to change tires every 5 years. 7 years is the normal age where changing tires "might" need to be changed due to age but they can be inspected and if there are no problems they do not necessarily need to be changed.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I've always thought 5 year replacing was overkill. I go with 7 myself..keep in mind Michelin uses 10 years as their 'aged out' value.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
cruising spud wrote:
Okay, let me try again...

My husband likse the ride of the Goodyear tires we currently have on our motorhome better than any other tires we have ever had.

We regularly change our rv tires at the end of a five year time cycle.

Would you:

ask to try again

use these tires

And, a question: if we go with the year old tires, does this simply mean that we need to get them changed at the end of four years, instead of five?

Thank you.

Find another tire dealer. In the west I go to Les Schwab. Les Schwab dealers are located all over the west coast and they all service/repair any tire problems regardless what dealer they are bought from.

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your input. My husband and I have decided what we are going to do.

2oldman-dealership did not mean an rv dealership.
Kathy

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
My tire dealer was able to call the warehouse, request newest tires in stock and get the date codes before ordering the tires. Personally, I would not accept tires past a 6 month date code. My last two sets of tires both had date codes of 3 months or less.

Also, the tire dealer told me any tire in stock with a two year old date code is scrapped. One year old tires is half way there.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does 'dealership' mean RV place?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with the last set of tires I bought.....I told the tire dealer what tire I wanted, and that I would not accept a tire older than 6 months....he called, and got tires that were 2 months old. It can be done.

With that said, I might would haggle a little with the dealer and if you can get the year old set for a slight discount, or maybe free mounting, go for it. And be sure to keep them covered when not rolling down the road so that year on the shelf shouldn't make a difference. Best of luck to ya!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
One should never buy tires from anything other than a tire dealer. RV dealers know nothing about tires and will charge you a lot of money. A Good year dealer can call the warehouse and request newer tires. Personally I would never buy GY tires.